WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default armadillo on the florida trail

I saw my first armadillo in fort pickens florida on the florida trail at my campsite how cool.

Images

We call them "possums on the half shell. "They root and they stink, but are pretty cool to watch. I remember seeing my first one too and it was fascinating and fun. Now we have them all over up here. The sad fact is they are road kill. Their startle response is to jump up straight in the air so even if you straddle them on the road to miss hitting them, they will jump up and kill themselves hitting the under carriage of the car. Sad. I did not believe it until it happened even though I had read this would happen.

Taste like chicken

Walking out onto A Fla fishing pier one night I saw this guy at the end of the pier filleting these weird looking fish. Being there to fish I went over to investigate what kind of fish he caught and inquire what he caught them on. He had about half a dozen armadillos he was carving up to take home and eat!

They have poor eyesight, but good hearing with those chihuahua like hairy dog ears. If you are quiet you can sneak up behind them while they are rooting around and grab them by that ratty tail. Just don't let them bite or scratch you! Better yet just leave them alone!

When I used to live in Florida, we took pride in running them over.. They are little battle tanks, rolling under the car, and walking away unscathed.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Around here we call them armor plated rats. You can shoot them with a shotgun and it won't phase them.

We had one that had burrowed underneath our home, under the air conditioner slab to be exact. My father being awesome, took several M80's, tied them together with duct tape, added several bottle rockets to the equation, and mushed all the fuses together. What happened next was hilarious, a black, burned, hairless armadillo scurried out and my dad cemented in the hole.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Journal Entries
    Images

They make a good helmet, the "little people" in the woods use them for armor.
    I don't know

All this gleeful disrespect and violence for armadillos. It's deplorable. Join HACTA today - Humans Against Cruelty To Armadillos.

My father being awesome, took several M80's, tied them together with duct tape, added several bottle rockets to the equation, and mushed all the fuses together. What happened next was hilarious, a black, burned, hairless armadillo scurried out and my dad cemented in the hole. - SurferNerd

Wow. Warped sense of what is hilarious!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Around here we call them armor plated rats. You can shoot them with a shotgun and it won't phase them.
    A shotgun loaded with sofa pillers? A .410 and #9 shot will kill 'em. Their armor is not steel. At least the dozen or so I've shot in Tx.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    We call them "possums on the half shell. "They root and they stink, but are pretty cool to watch. I remember seeing my first one too and it was fascinating and fun. Now we have them all over up here. The sad fact is they are road kill. Their startle response is to jump up straight in the air so even if you straddle them on the road to miss hitting them, they will jump up and kill themselves hitting the under carriage of the car. Sad. I did not believe it until it happened even though I had read this would happen.

Hoover hogs. Depression days.

The nine- banded armadillos that remain today are thought to be descendents of a pair that escaped from a small zoo about fifty years ago in Cocoa, Florida (Storrs, 1982 & Watson, 1989). But there is an event recorded of a nine-banded armadillo being introduced to Florida prior to the two that had escaped. (Wikipedia)

They are fun to watch - poor eyesight and if you get into their path, they will bumble right up to you if you don't move or make any noise. Had one hit my foot and then take off. It was great!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    What happened next was hilarious, a black, burned, hairless armadillo scurried out and my dad cemented in the hole.
    that's way more sad than hilarious.

Journal Entries
    Images

Once at work in the chest high palmettos locating wetland flags. We had a new guy on our crew running the rod, he heard something in the bushes next to him, he froze up. Then proceed to scream and cry there is something over here come help me hurry!!. The funniest thing ever it was an Armadillo. Then he said one time, on the same job, different crew he seen a water moccasin eating a dead pig. He did not last long in the survey business.
    I don't know

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Taste like chicken
    More like lamb, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    that's way more sad than hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    All this gleeful disrespect and violence for armadillos. It's deplorable. Join HACTA today - Humans Against Cruelty To Armadillos.

My father being awesome, took several M80's, tied them together with duct tape, added several bottle rockets to the equation, and mushed all the fuses together. What happened next was hilarious, a black, burned, hairless armadillo scurried out and my dad cemented in the hole. - SurferNerd

Wow. Warped sense of what is hilarious!

Awe, didn't know there was PETA members in the forum. Sorry to offend you, I'll go eat my delicious meats and be out of your way.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

Awe, didn't know there was PETA members in the forum. Sorry to offend you, I'll go eat my delicious meats and be out of your way.
    They would prolly be sad if it happened to the armadillo but glad if it happened to surfernerd.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I'll go eat my delicious meats and be out of your way.
    make sure you do weird, sadistic stuff to your meat first... makes it funnier...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    make sure you do weird, sadistic stuff to your meat first... makes it funnier...?
    It does, like when I'm turkey hunting. Instead of shooting its neck with an arrow, I'll go chase it through the woods and grab it by the neck and fling it around like a pillow. Totally kidding here if you can accept a sarcastic joke.

LoL...noticed your in Nashville, care to join me at Radnor this afternoon for a hike.

Sometimes children are ignorant of what's right and wrong, and while I agree that what transpired with the battle tank "dillo" was wrong, I was a young stupid teenager. Once I went into the Marine Corps, my retarded pranks and shenanigans stopped and I became a mature adult.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

I make room in my life for all of gods creatures....
    /
    /
    /
    /
    /
    On my plate right next to my mashed potatos.........
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Journal Entries
    Images

What ever you do, just don't get caught play-n with your chicken before you share some.
    I don't know

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++