WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hiking pants

Default Hiking pants

What is a very good pair of hiking pants? Something with lots of pockets maybe convertible, for moderate to cool temps.

I have a pair of colombia zip off's 30.00 at Dicks Sportingoods seenem at TJ Max even cheaper one time.
    GRAVY

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

The Columbia zip offs are very nice and are my favorite brands. Second place belongs to the REI Sahara, but at $55/pair they are not the least expensive. Third are the Ex Officio pants but they are even more expensive than the REI Saharas.

Good Luck!

Randy

Images

REI sahara pants are on sale for 39.95 right now
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    REI sahara pants are on sale for 39.95 right now
    Jayboflavin beat me to it. REI Saraha pants are my favorite, but will usually only buy them on sale. The Sarahas fit true to size, are comfortable, durable and easily convertible. Definitely a great buy when on sale.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Thanks guys Im going to REI website now to look at the Sahara pant.

The Animal (class of 2010) jnl82381's Avatar

I too am a fan of columbia's zip offs. I've been wearing them for the past 8 years without complaint!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oznoG View Post
    Thanks guys Im going to REI website now to look at the Sahara pant.
    Campmoor has nylon zipoffs with good pocket action, think I paid 30 or so, incredibly durable, highly reccomended

Images

Running shorts w/tights for cooler weather for me. Both basic black. I need something I can move in without the "urban hiker" look.

EMS zip-offs are good, too, but I doubt they're on sale now. Lots of pockets, quick drying, etc.

Images

Bass Pro Shop has some nice zip offs for 20 bucks. They are even net lined if you like that sort of thing. I usually cut out the net as I don't like it but the pants hold up well on the trail and are comfortable.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    Bass Pro Shop has some nice zip offs for 20 bucks. They are even net lined if you like that sort of thing. I usually cut out the net as I don't like it but the pants hold up well on the trail and are comfortable.
    They're made by World Wide Sportsman, and I mentioned them above.. THEY ARE FANTASTIC! +1
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Sierra Trading Post is another site you might want to check out. I like the Moose Creek convertibles I got there awhile back. Gander Mountain also has some decent ones for about $30.

Anything in nylon that fits and is well made. REI's Sahara pants come to mind, mostly because they are well spoken of here (I don't use them, I have others to wear out first).
    Stephenson's Warmlite www.warmlite.com has an interesting design made from Nomex (tm), the stuff fire fighters' clothing is made of. The legs have a zipper on the inside of the leg. You zip the zipper up and velcro the cuff near the pocket. Take a look. Expensive but probably worth it. I'll be ordering a pair soon (send them your favorite pants and they'll use them as a template to make your custom pair).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Stephenson's converta-pants : http://www.warmlite.com/vb_shirt.htm#anchor71114
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Pants vs Shorts

I've always had better luck with shorts with thermals underneath rather than pants. Unless it's way below 40 degrees all day, I'm probably just wearing shorts in any case while hiking. You're likely carrying thermals, shorts, and rainpants in any case, so this just saves a bit of weight and fuss. FMMV.

By far the most breathable hiking shorts I've worn is Columbia's omnidry titanium.
    Their hiking pants don't seem to be the same. Maybe I am wrong.

Anyhow, even in winter I prefer hiking shorts to hiking pants, and I don't like convertibles.
    The best case for hiking pants is in summer when bushwacking though brambles and stuff.

These pants are not cheap but they are the best. Go to railriders.com and look for "weatherpants". These are lightwest and bombproof and will last forever. Read about them before you make a final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NO_Turtle View Post
    These pants are not cheap but they are the best. Go to railriders.com and look for "weatherpants". These are lightwest and bombproof and will last forever. Read about them before you make a final decision.
    Too heavy. Lighter would be better, and more breathable.

And I totally don't get why their WINTER nylon pants are even HEAVIER.
    Makes no sense. That raised a HUGE red flag with me.

After a section hike in Georgia when the bugs were so thick you could cut them with a knife, I became a fan of long pants. I have been hiking in Railriders ever since. They are light weight, cool and very durable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++