WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    For approximately 70 miles of the LT, you have views of Lake Champlain off to the west. You feel like you're parallel to the lake (actually you are) as you stride north, noting the changing width and enjoying the Adirondacks in the distance.
    Sunset from Mt. Mansfield or Saddleback anyone?

I could probably swing 3-4 weeks, I just know that I can get a minimum of 2 weeks. Keep suggestions coming guys, you're a wealth of information!

Images

Well, you could hike from Canada to Katahdin. I always thought that would be a great hike. Just begin anew where you end until you finish.

Definitely MA/VT border to Hanover. And when you get there if you fee like going, keep going.

Laconia - we used to take that dinner train alot from Meredith to Weirs Beach. Man we miss home...

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    Definitely MA/VT border to Hanover. And when you get there if you fee like going, keep going.

Laconia - we used to take that dinner train alot from Meredith to Weirs Beach. Man we miss home...
    I love NH and I don't ever plan on moving...but I'm not sure how much I'd miss Laconia if I lived in Bozeman! I flew into the airport there a few years back for Yellowstone and a four-day Teton hike.

Still, better than my home town of Trashua

I was talking this over yesterday with my dad on the phone. I thought the best thing to do would be to start at the MA/VT border and just plan on getting to NH/VT. Depending on how long that took, I could just keep going until I run out of vacation.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Btw: The AT in Vt. between the Long Trail and the NH border is PUDS. A lot of work with few views..
    Agreed, but I actually loved that section and had some great experiences along it. Hiking in open fields, ice cream and a general store right on the trail. I've run into people that are totally bummed unless there's a spectacular view every hour - I'm perfectly content in the trees. YMMV

Images

Default Farsighted hikers

Beneath the forest's canopy, trees, shrubs, vines, herbaceous plants and the finer details not visible at distances measured in miles become the view. Some people can't see or appreciate these details because they are too farsighted to focus upon them.

Were the A.T. one continuous vista, it wouldn't be as interesting. Some people need to learn to appreciate the A.T. as it unfolds before them rather than compare it to the imaginary experience which exists only in their own minds.

Most of the time, the real A.T. has more to offer, but only when people live in the present and put on their glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rush2112 View Post

Still, better than my home town of Trashua
    Ha Ha.. Trashua. I lived there and in Merrimack. We couldn't get too far north because my wife needed to commute to Boston. We had a summer place up near Ossipee though. Right on the ME border. If we weren't there we were camping or packing in VT.

Hey, that's the big time. I lived In "Penny Cook"
    for a while. And when the breeze blew from the tannery the town smelled like sneaker feet.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Default Trashua!

Born and raised in Nashua( I called it Nausea, NH). Now I reside in Maine and love it. I do miss being so close to the Whites though...
    skinny d

Quote Originally Posted by DLANOIE View Post
    Born and raised in Nashua( I called it Nausea, NH). Now I reside in Maine and love it. I do miss being so close to the Whites though...
    When we come back to New England we're hoping to move to Maine but the lure of whites always being close is not easy to ignore. I figure as long as we're in any of the three states life will be good

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++