WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cyclista View Post
    <clip>

Amusing that after many months of lurking, this is my first post to whiteblaze. Guess I've got my priorities straight!
    Great first post!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclista View Post
    Good link! The NOC restaurants all seem to have a good beer selection, including:
    (all domestic craft are $3.75 except the New Belgium)
    Bell’s Two Hearted
    Sierra Nevada Pale
    Highland (Gaelic, Oatmeal Porter, St. Terese’s Pale, Kashmir IPA, and Black Mocha Stout)
    Sweetwater (420, Blue)
    Harpoon Raspberry UFO
    New Belgium (Fat Tire, 1554, and Mothership Wit: 22oz bombers, $6 each)

Amusing that after many months of lurking, this is my first post to whiteblaze. Guess I've got my priorities straight!
    That use to be a BYOB place... I guess that the county must have changed the laws since we were last there...

Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Great first post!
    Thank you! And to keep up my good reputation:

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    If you can afford a zero day and get transportation,
    Asheville is definitely worth checking out for the beer scene.
    It also has good resupply for sproutheads at EarthFare and the French Broad Food Co-op.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Asheville: if you could work out transportation, it's a great place for a beer geek to recharge. We recently spent a (very) long weekend there, went to every brewery and major beer bar, and LOVED it. It'd probably be difficult to get a ride to, but our favorite beer was the tasting room at Pisgah Brewing, in Black Mountain, NC, about ten miles east of Asheville.

Back in Asheville, the beer and setting at Wedge Brewing Co. was fantastic (outdoor deck seating with occasional trains passing by), and French Broad Brewing was also very pleasant. Thirsty Monk was a fantastic beer bar with an amazing and thoughtful selection, though you might get a few looks if you hadn't showered recently (whereas at Wedge, nobody would likely notice or care.) Jack of the Wood was pleasant and had lovely live Irish pub music when we stopped in.

Every other beer place in town was at least solid: I'd be happy to go on at length if anyone cares.

Ahhhh, well. Time to get realistic about most of the AT and great beer, and hoping that the convenience stores and supermarkets will at least carry Guinness or Heine. Sigh. How far we can fall.

It isn't particularly hard to get to Asheville by way of Hot Springs or Erwin since there's really nothing in between either locale and the city. Getting back might be a bit of a problem since there's no perfect hitching spot in town like standing next to the AT up in the Mountains. But if you can get here you can get back. That's for sure.

The whole of the Southern Army knew that the best beer was made in Pottsville. Trouble was is that they needed shoes and so they decided to go to Gettysburg first. The rest is history. Just sayin.....

Default Beer story

Back in '99, I walked into the first wayside in SNP, along with about ten other hikers. Look, beer! And the party broke out. We stayed all day, consuming huge amounts of beer and wine. It was getting late when a hiker said "I think we should get started on to the next shelter".
    I was stunned, Holy S#!t, I have to walk? We decided to have a picnic, once we got to camp. We all bought and carried parts of the proposed feast. Walking in the dark, really drunk, that was a tough stretch of trail.
    Only two of us made it there, the rest fell out on the way. When we got to camp, we had hotdog buns and mustard, that was it. But we still had beer. I didn't feel much like walking the next day. We staggered on to the next wayside for more beer and things started to look better. We had so much fun going through SNP, that we talked about hitching back to Waynesboro, and doing it again.

Images

I've made a list and plan to try all of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    It isn't particularly hard to get to Asheville by way of Hot Springs or Erwin since there's really nothing in between either locale and the city. Getting back might be a bit of a problem since there's no perfect hitching spot in town like standing next to the AT up in the Mountains. But if you can get here you can get back. That's for sure.
    Shuttles to the AT from Asheville via Sams Gap, Hot Springs, Erwin
    828-707-2819

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    The whole of the Southern Army knew that the best beer was made in Pottsville. Trouble was is that they needed shoes and so they decided to go to Gettysburg first. The rest is history. Just sayin.....

Ah, Ken Burns and Shelby Foote strike again. They disproved the shoe thing long ago.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Good beer in the south? Ya, you can find Sierra Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    Good beer in the south? Ya, you can find Sierra Nevada.
    You can get Sierra anywhere
    Sierra is great, but there is beer that is so much better

Journal Entries

Anyone making it to Asheville might want to check out 'Jack of the Wood', a great pub with decent ale,(they own a brewery), and good music on the w/ends.
    If you make it on a Friday afternoon, there's a pretty intense Drum Circle close by in the middle of town.All are most welcome...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++