WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AT Tattoo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    Survivor Dave has a mural on his calf
    this is one of the best ones i've seen! nice work! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Someone told me the military will not induct anyone with tatoos in certain locations. Maybe neck, fingers, wrist...not sure. Anyone know?
    Yes that topic was discussed on the Military Channel as they are talking about making changes, I don't think the changes have happened. Too many tattoo's says somthing about you and IS a clear turndown/rejection in the military. One guy served for several years left in good standing, and was told he could not come back. If you are wearing dress whites, tattoos cannot be visible or covered up.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    Maybe your forehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Tattoo restrictions got tighter briefly, and then were revised when recruiters started missing their goals duing the Iraq War.

Most of the current policies seem to restrict not where a tattoo is, but what it's of. Tattoos considered racist, sexist, or obscene typically aren't allowed, regardless of where they are on the body.
    So the guy that I knew who had the tear drops from the corner of one eye, FTW on the other cheek would be turned down? I mean if I needed someone dead this is the guy that I would go to.

I have a friend, not the person mentioned above, who is opening her new Tattoo shop next to Big W's BBQ in Wingdale just north of the AT. Who knows maybe she will give hiker discounts.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Yes that topic was discussed on the Military Channel as they are talking about making changes, I don't think the changes have happened. Too many tattoo's says somthing about you and IS a clear turndown/rejection in the military. One guy served for several years left in good standing, and was told he could not come back. If you are wearing dress whites, tattoos cannot be visible or covered up.
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    So the guy that I knew who had the tear drops from the corner of one eye, FTW on the other cheek would be turned down? I mean if I needed someone dead this is the guy that I would go to.
    Regarding tattoo policies put in place 2006-07:

". . . For example, Marines cannot have tattoos on their head or neck or sleeve tattoos, which are large tattoos or groups of tattoos on the lower arm. Tattoos on the upper arm or the leg that are visible when wearing military-issued T-shirts and shorts are also prohibited. Military personnel already in the service and who have tattoos in those locations can keep them if they have documentation the tattoo existed before April 1, 2007.

Army regulations prohibit tattoos on the head or face, except for permanent makeup such as eyebrows or fill-in lip color. Two years ago, the Army began allowing tattoos on the backs of hands and necks. Navy regulations are less restrictive, stating a tattoo that is “obscene, sexually explicit or advocates discrimination of any sort is prohibited.” Otherwise, it considers content, size and location of tattoos on a case-by-case basis."

The ironic thing about tattoo rules in the military is that it was Navy personnel with tattoos that made having a tattoo a more respectable thing than it was prior to WWII.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The only Appalachian Trail tattoo I have is a large, faint-but-visible, set of scars on my forearm from when I slipped in the mud in Maine. A rock gouged out two chunks o' skin. I cleaned it out as best I could, slapped some gauze pad on it, held it in place with duct tape and wandered on my merry way into Monson two days later.

My buddy Tim joined me for the last stretch as trail. He was a medic (and later a nurse) in the army and checked it out. "Too late for stitches..just keep it clean as best you can". Have that little 'souvenir' many years later.

Dad has tattoos from his army days. A little Devil with "Steve" on it seems quite cool when you are 19 or 20 (and, possibly a little drunk?). At 59 yrs old, he's a bit embarrassed by it. (Has an eagle/flag on his other arm that he's not keen on, either)

Finally, when I was about 20 or so, I was an orderly in an out patient surgical unit. As I was prepping one of the gentleman for surgery, we started talking. He was a Marine of the WW2 era. I could not help but notice his tattoos from his Marine days: One tat over his chest said "SWEET" the other one said "SOUR". (I was a wet-behind-the-ears 20 yo at the time, the gentleman had a good chuckle when it dawned on me what he meant by 'short arm inspection' !)
    Last edited by Mags; 02-11-2010 at 14:12.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I got my son a T-shirt that he wears with pride that says "Scars are just Tattoos with better stories". He had open heart at 5 days old and they split him stem to stern along with 4 lateral scars for tubes and then two in his crotch from the heart lung. when kids at school start showing scars he always wins.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Sweeeeeeett.......
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    i looked up "dumbass". his picture was there

Images

Curtis, What are you serving to get your guests that crazy?

I know na da.
    We have the Ned Beatty Log, the 3 legged mule and the infamous Wood Chipper ride, thanks Fargo (da movie for the inspiration) for the chosen that screw service providers or talk trash about Lone Wolf.

Bonzo's AT Tat. Pic by StarLyte
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Images

My thoughts have been to get my 1st Tat after I section hike the AT for the 1st time. 2175/logo or both. That way when I pass it will be there for the Coroner to see

Images

Default Trail tat

I got this while I was in Pennsylvania. It's actually a cover up of an older tattoo which is hidden just below the blaze on the tree. It's the Tree of Life with the trunk forming the AT. It's on my right ankle.

"Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

That is awesome.

Images

Sweet design Ramble On!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post

That was just sick. Not to mention ugly.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ramble~On View Post
    I got this while I was in Pennsylvania. It's actually a cover up of an older tattoo which is hidden just below the blaze on the tree. It's the Tree of Life with the trunk forming the AT. It's on my right ankle.

This is one of the best tat's I have seen.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

Images

Quote Originally Posted by droptopbenz View Post
    this is one of the best ones i've seen! nice work! maddog

very cool tat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i looked up "dumbass". his picture was there

Haha, I didn't even look at it. But that's funny right there.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++