WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Maybe you can 1/2 cover. Like over the haunch and leave the head out. That dog breath will toast out under a cover of most anything.

Try having a small one decide he's hot, coming out and huffing in your face, all while he's standing on your chest.

Or you could teach it to root back under the cover by itself.

Images

I usually don't take dogs on overnight trips in winter, summer is another thing. I've carried a piece of tyvek before and made a shelter from wood and wrapped the tyvek around it. Not very good in the wind but my dogs like it.

My dog uses a small Thermarest Pro Lite Plus, I use the same but the large. Makes the ground more level, especially good when we roll onto each others side while sleeping. She loves hers (and mine).
    Dog ALWAYS in tent at night!

Default Trail Dogs

Your dog deserves to be just as comfortable as you. If they want to sleep on the ground that's fine but you should offer something. A few sections of zrest are perfect. My dog carries his food and nylon water/food bowls plus a section of fleece blanket, maybe 3x3. I carry the zrest (3 or 4 sections) we share it on breaks and he lays on it in the evening I don't allow him on my bag (or other people's bags). Most times I drape my quilt or semi rectangle bag over both of us under the tarp.

Remember, if you hiked 15 miles, your dog might have traveled 17 miles. My dog generally walks 8 or 10 feet ahead of me and constantly returns to my side. He responds well off leash but I follow whatever rules are posted, If people are approaching from either direction I leash him. He stays on the trail only stepping off to potty. and sometimes needs a reminder not to chase wildlife.

Make sure that his panniers are a good fit, and give him water often,I squirt water from a platy into his mouth people love to watch him he's a pretty sloppy drinker!

Images

I used to bring a 2' square of 3/8 inch CCF for Phoebe that doubled as a butt pad for me during the day, but she always ignored it. Of course, she's a siberian husky, and loves the ice/snow.....
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++