WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Ideas for what my dog should sleep on

What articles do you bring for your dog to sleep on when you are camping?

Images

a 3'-4' long piece of blue foam pad. weighs next to nothing, and he can lay on it in the canoe too. i usually rig some sort of porch over the entrance to my daughter's tent anyway (i hammock), so it's no bother. if he's with just me, he can sleep under the hammock.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

I also have the blue foam for Hank. He only get's it at night I get to use it during the day if I want something to sit on. Half the time he just goes directly to ground but it's there if he wants it. I also hang and he sleeps under the hammock and I prop my pack in such a way as to make a wind break for him if needed.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

A four-section piece cut from a Z-rest pad.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

of course the question was "what articles..." so I think anything from the NY Times would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    of course the question was "what articles..." so I think anything from the NY Times would work fine.
    No no, that is for "shelter breaking" the dog.

yes the dog should have a sleeping pad for comfort & warmth!

i also carried a small blanket for my dog. most of the time i unzipped my sleeping bag and covered both of us.

I did exactly what the Crumb did. Lulu as in my bag if she wanted. Hey, they get tired too and deserve the same comfort, maybe more, then we do.

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    I did exactly what the Crumb did. Lulu as in my bag if she wanted. Hey, they get tired too and deserve the same comfort, maybe more, then we do.
    like i said before some people bring thier dog along on thier hike, but a few of us hike with our best friend. i would and did freeze a few times trying to make sure my dog was very warm &very comfortable.

I agree . Some of the stuff Isaw out there made me sick and tee-d off. One guy puihis dog in a garbage bag IN it . it was obvious the dog didn't want to. Last Iheard of him his dog was arthritc and just done and this AH was dragging him outta Palmerton. It was embarrassing to be related to this guy in any way. YUCK

If you can't put your dog FIRST don't bring him or her , seriously.

Winter had her own pad but she and I manuevered for control of the thermarest. Many times I woke up in the morning and my feet were on her pad and she was on the bottom of the thermarest. When it was hot she didn't even want to be on her own pad.

You sound like a nice guy Superman..

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Winter had her own pad but she and I manuevered for control of the thermarest. Many times I woke up in the morning and my feet were on her pad and she was on the bottom of the thermarest. When it was hot she didn't even want to be on her own pad.
    i carried a z-rest and a thermarest and the z-rest was mine! loved the mornings where bear had both pads and i was up against the side of the tent bear slept alot outside the tent whenever she wanted i would leave the tent door open(unless it was bug season)she had a big coat of fur, shaved her twice a year late spring & early fall.

Images

A section of a z-rest for Maggie, Suzi prefers to sleep on the ground.

Lulu was a riot.. as soon as we stopped and I pulled out the tent she was trying to crawl in. I am like Lulu I have to set it up first ! I still have her but she doesn't do any camping now but last year when I was prepping for the AZT and set up my tent in the yard she was still trying to get in and when it was set up , even after all the years of not hiking , she wanted in . I just love my Lulu..

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    A four-section piece cut from a Z-rest pad.
    That's exactly what I have. I have one for each dog and they carry it on their pack.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    like i said before some people bring thier dog along on thier hike, but a few of us hike with our best friend. i would and did freeze a few times trying to make sure my dog was very warm &very comfortable.
    One of my worst nights on the trail doing just that. Hank was under my bag but would get too hot so he stands up and get out letting in all the cold air. I shiver for 10 -15 min then get comfortable and start to drift. He gets cold and comes back over wanting under the bag again but now he is cold t the touch so again I shiver get comfortable begin to drift and we repeat cycle again and again all night long. He now has his own small blanket and if he really want I'll do it all over again as long as he doesn't tell my wife because I still yell at her for letting out all the warm air when she gets into bed.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++