WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Wow.. You must be on a weight gaining plan. Unless you are Shaq size.
    My ontrail cal. intake is about 2800. I start on the trail at 195 and loose about 1 lb per day until I reach 175. I hiked 10 miles a day for 6 months on this diet and the least I weighed was 171. This was walking in FL. so no mountains of course.
    2800 calories is simply your intake. Anyone can force themselves to consume that much, whether they are Shaq, a smurf, or you. It's what you choose to eat, not at all what you're actually burning.

And you're on a malnutrition plan by starving your body of the nutrients it desires. I understand the desire to lose weight. I also share the same desire. Just make sure you take measures to prevent injury while starving your body.

If you with to simply maintain all your muscle mass without forcing your muscle to resort to feeding off internal energy stores, then you'll need around 6000 calories.

That said, it's VERY difficult to consume 6000 calories a day under any conditions. I've been working on shakes to allow me to down over 3000 calories a day without much effort. The rest would come from meals and snacks. Unfortunately these shakes are rather expensive, at least to me. Roughly $5 a day just for the shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    What brand is The big frosted honey bun ?
    The brands change as you move north. I think they weigh 5.5 oz.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

When I hiked the 100 mile wilderness in 1984, most folks were just eating Ramen noodles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    The brands change as you move north. I think they weigh 5.5 oz.

Ok, I know the ones you are referring to.
    Thank you!

We posted a nutrition per ounce chart recently that you may find helpful. It lists nearly 200 trail-friendly items broken down by the amount of nutrition contained in once ounce of that item.

The chart that you can preview shows the food listed by most to least amount of calories but if you download the excel sheet you can sort by fat, sodium, etc.
    Packit Gourmet ~ meals, grocery store and kitchen gear for campers

If you really want to pack in the protein and calories, go with pemmican.

Dehydrated fat-free refried beans are relatively high in protein, calcium, and iron and very high in fiber. They are easy to reconstitute, better than canned, and fairly lightweight. Even better as far as protein if you pair them with corn tortillas or chips.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Dehydrated fat-free refried beans are relatively high in protein, calcium, and iron and very high in fiber. They are easy to reconstitute, better than canned, and fairly lightweight. Even better as far as protein if you pair them with corn tortillas or chips.
    Not only that, they will even reconstitute in cold water, making an excellent stoveless meal with the corn chips. The only drawback is they're a little harder to find in groceries along the trails. (I see them more often in hiker boxes!)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I once lived for 5 days on two large jars of peanut butter and water.
    When I was young and between jobs, nothing but Peanut Butter and flour tortillas for a week.
    Both are dense foods that are great when you don't want to cook.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I find dehydrated cooked lentil's to reconstitute faster than refried beans. Basically the same thing otherwise. They are easy to make and dehydrate.
    Make sure you add lots of olive oil when you prepare them.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I met a very serious hiker who told me that my habit of carrying fresh vegetables was "worse than useless". Not all advice you hear is good advice (including mine).
    Most veggies are mostly water, so it's probabaly best to either gorge on those in towns or dehydrate them for use in meals. They're certainly not "useless" though. Vitamin pills hurt my stomach, so to get enough vitamins on the Trail I force myself to eat large amounts of veggies when I'm in towns. Kinda hard to eat a huge salad and a baked sweet potato when I really want a pizza, but if I dont eat the veggies first, I just wont' get around to it later.

That said, I did have a very bizarre conversation with a hiker one time - she was appalled that I would bring "junk" like Snickers bars with me. She, on the other hand, had...several eggplants. Eggplants. Which are about 95% water and have very minimal nutrition and almost no calories. I mean, I can understand maybe taking nutrient-dense veggies like sweet potatoes or kale but...eggplants?

Oh well, HYOH and all that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jofish View Post
    If you really want to pack in the protein and calories, go with pemmican.
    Mmmmm, pemmican.

Actually I had one of these Pemmican brand bars once; it was great http://www.mealpack.com/ But they can't be bought locally only shipped from somewhere in CA. Am still tempted to order a variety pack though.

Images

Hemp Hearts -
    You'll have to buy bulk and use maildrops.
    Mild, pleasant flavor, since it's a seed, it's hard to beat the nutrient / weight profile.
    Easy to add to your diet.

Garlic
    Images

Wow, she must just really like the taste of eggplant. I can't stand the stuff, myself.

I heard good advice from a married couple hiking together who were concentrating on their health more than most. They each carried one fresh item for every day, even just one carrot or stalk of celery or green pepper. It wasn't weighing them down excessively and it wasn't their whole diet, just a moderate addition. I started doing that, too, and found that my cravings for greens and gorging on same in towns went way down.

I believe if you start binge eating (except Ben & Jerry's pints), something is wrong with your diet.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Here is my latest theory on figuring out macro nutrients.

Pro: 10% of total energy expended
    Car: 30% of total energy expended
    Fat: 60% of total energy expended

Now some calculate protien as a percentage of body weight, or as a percentage of daily calories. I think doing it as a percentage of energy expended is better because the more energy you expend, the more you need to repair and rebuild your muscles and other tissue. 10% doesn't seem like much, but at 4000 kcal/day it would be 100g. If you are building muscle, or maintaining alot of muscle mass, it could be higher, but I think for running and hiking 10% of energy expended is pretty good. If you find yourself losing lean body mass, or if you wanted to gain some, you could increase it to 15%, but any surplus will just be converted to carbohydrates, which can be hard on the kidneys.

As far as the ratio of carbs to fats go, it depends on how much energy you are expending below 50% VO2Max, and how much you are expending above 80% VO2Max. Hiking averages 40-50% VO2Max, so you should be burning mostly fatty acids. If you choose to fuel it all on carbs your food will be heavier, and your blood sugar level will be up and down more. If you choose to fuel it all on fatty acids, that is also kind of rough, because your brain needs carbs, and your muscles prefer carbs for stuff like steep hills. For hiking and rest of day activities I think 1:2 is good, as it probably matches demand most closely, even though the body will pretty much burn what is available, and make conversions as needed. I would reduce the fat and increase the carbs if I found the high fat diet hard to stomach. I don't have that problem however, because I am currently losing weight, so I reduce the fat consumed and make upve the difference with body fat.

Body Fat to be burned while losing weight:
    If you have some excess body fat you can burn some of that. How much body fat can you burn each day? Well, the best answer I have seen so far is 1% of your total fat reserves. I am currently about 25% body fat, of 50 pounds, so I can burn 0.5 pounds of body fat each day, equivalent to 200g of dietary fat. So I can reduce my fat requirements up to 200g, as long as I don't go below 20g because I think you should always have at least that much in your diet, for various reasons.

Daily Food Requirements:
    Base Met + Rest of Day: 2000 kcal (roughly 10kcal per pound of body weight)
    Average Hiking Activity: 3000 kcal (depending on how long and hard I hike)

For myself at 200 pounds, 1000 kcal is about an hour of running at 10km/hr. Once a week I might be able to double that, for 2000 kcal of exercise. Hiking I can do much better, like maybe 400 kcal/hr for 10 hours for 4000 kcal of exercise. I am not sure how many days I could maintain that, as I haven't done more that 2 or 3 such days in a row. So let's use 3000 kcal/day + 2000 kcal base = 5000 kcal, and see how that works out in terms of food requirements...

Total Energy Expended = 5000 kcal/day
    Pro = 10% x 5000 kcal / 4 kcal/g = 125g Protien
    Car = 30% x 5000 kcal / 4 kcal/g = 375g Carbohydrates
    Fat = 60% x 5000 kcal / 9 kcal/g = 333g Total - 200g Body = 133g Fat
    Fibre = say 10g per 1000 kcal = 50g
    Moisture = say 10% of protien and carbs = 50g
    Total Weight = 733g /454g/lb = 1.6 pounds

So the daily hiking diet becomes 3200 kcal/day, because 1800 kcal comes from body fat.
    The pro/carb/fat ratio becomes 19/56/25 as percentage of energy consumed.

Lately I've been averaging 1000 kcal/day in exercise, running/walking/skiing.
    So I only average 3000 kcal/day, which is less than I would hiking.
    So here at home my food requirements are reduced to...
    Total Energy Expended = 3000 kcal/day
    Pro = 10% x 3000 kcal / 4 kcal/g = 75g Protien
    Car = 30% x 3000 kcal / 4 kcal/g = 225g Carbohydrates
    Fat = 60% x 3000 kcal / 9 kcal/g = 200g Total - 180g Body = 20g Fat
    Fibre = say 10g per 1000 kcal = 30g

You see I left 20g of fat in my diet, as a minimum. In theory I should be losing 3 pounds a week on this diet, 1 pound of which is due to exercise. In practice it is less than that. Partly because of cheating now and then. Partly because I need an extra rest day now and then, due to sore feet/ankles/knees/hips/whatever. Another reason I think hiking is alot better than running for losing weight, as long as you have the time.

Have a good hike everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++