WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bear Strategies

A friend of mine was a ranger at a park in Alaska, can't remember which one. But she frequently came across hikers wearing bells.. she said all it really did was 1) annoy other hikers and 2) they were basically dinner bells for the griz..

Default Bears

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    I have read several articles and have done research on bear encounters. I was wondering what some of my hiking brethren's experiences were and how they were handled. I have encountered two Black Bears and both looked me over and went about their business. This is probably close to the norm, but wanted to hear other encounters and how they were handled. Thanks.
    Black Bears are fairly common in Washington. Most bear sightings are brief sightings as the bear runs into the woods.

Occasionally, I see one where I can get a good picture.

How I handle a bear encounter? I grab my camera and take as many pictures as I can. I usually get two or three good pictures a year.

Shutterbug

Images

Last time on the AT in the Smokies last September saw 9 bears total from Fontana to Clingmans Dome. All ran off but a momma and her two cubs that kept feeding in the woods right next to the trail. They looked at us and when they started coming nearer we yelled and got off the trail and went around them. Haven't had one come into a shelter yet, but I bet that would be extremely nerve wracking.

Good and legitimate question by the OP.

I'm concerned and dismayed at the rush to carry and use firearms for protecting oneself against bears. Too often humans impulsively reach for a firearm to solve a problem when the problem can often be solved more constructively in another way.

I am not against guns and using them with discretion, but I've said it before and will say it again, "fear, ignorance, and a deadly weapon are a lethal combination easily abused!" Perhaps, 90 + % of negative physical encounters with bears can be avoided if we as humans stop the focus on "problem" bears and have a deeper focus on eliminating "problematic human behavior" that results in negative encounters with not only bears, but with all wildlife.

The FIRST step in protecting human life from bears is educating those who visit bear habitat about bear behavior and then learning and applying how we, as humans, can adapt our behavior to avoid negative encounters. We must eliminate or cut down on the fear and ignorance of humans. Only after we first learn how our behavior influences that which happens around us so that we do not act of unbridled fear and ignorance should we be examining the carrying and use of firearms, especially by tourists or hikers in a National Park setting. Sometimes, firearms cause more problems than they solve! Using a gun to protect oneself from bears should be near the bottom of the list in reasonable possible solutions to protect human life from bears. Using a gun against a bear should only be used as a last recourse.

Here is a link from the Glacier NP website about Safely Hiking in the Backcountry with Bears that I think would go a long way to reducing the problems between bears and humans, IF only humans would educate themselves and apply what is written.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/upload/bcguide2010web-corrected.pdf

Images

I'd be alot more worried about skunks than I would be bears.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

I only saw three bears in my whole life. First time, Backpacking on Spruce knob Wv. where I learn why hang food bag instead of leaving it in the pack. 2nd bear was on the Quehanna Trail Pa, scared the crap out of me. Heard it woof and it ran off. Third one was a bear cub( Laurel Highland trail) I think it was anyways. Morning light wasn't very bright,rainy and cloudy. Saw no mamma.

I guess all three times I must stunk pretty bad cause they all ran,when they seen me.

If a bear attacks, grab granola/snickers bar out of your hipbelt pocket. Rip the wrapper off in one smooth motion. Count to 3 (this is important as it gives the bear a chance to smell it). Throw bar over bears head and when the bear goes after it, run the other way.

I've seen numerous black bears over the past 20 years (only seen a Grizzly once in Yellowstone). It's hard to hike in the Sierra Neveda and not see a black bear; hence the bear can requirements there. They normally leave you alone and will walk/run another direction away from you when you encounter them. I've seen them their hind legs looking at me. I've seen Mama and her cubs nearbyand had to wait until the cubs came down out of the trees (where they went when they saw me) moved off so I could continue on. Never once was I in fear for my safety. My first reaction is "Camera, Camera, where did I put it". The second is usually boredom as I have to wait if they aren't moving off quickly. Now I don't try to crowd the bear or keep approaching and I try to always leave it a safe escape route. I sometimes will swing wide around a meadow if I see one in it to leave it plenty of space.

I once had a long discussion with Yosemite's Black Bear expert. She shows up to the ADZPCTKO on the PCT everyyear. She is mainly taking about bears in the Sierra Neveda, but it should apply to all black bears in the lower 48. She said that when you encounter a black bear, don't act fearful or timid. Behave like how they do when they try to intimate. Kick some logs and rocks around you loudly. Make loud noises and yell at the bear. Try to look bigger. On the rare chance a black bear chargers you, its usually a bluff charge. Stand firm and take it as running away will make things worse and the bear can outrun you. The bear will normally break off the charge and go away. The idea is to not give the bear any reason to question its natural fear of people. The advice for a Grizzly Bear encounter is probably different.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    If a bear attacks, grab granola/snickers bar out of your hipbelt pocket. Rip the wrapper off in one smooth motion. Count to 3 (this is important as it gives the bear a chance to smell it). Throw bar over bears head and when the bear goes after it, run the other way.

I've seen numerous black bears over the past 20 years (only seen a Grizzly once in Yellowstone). It's hard to hike in the Sierra Neveda and not see a black bear; hence the bear can requirements there. They normally leave you alone and will walk/run another direction away from you when you encounter them. I've seen them their hind legs looking at me. I've seen Mama and her cubs nearbyand had to wait until the cubs came down out of the trees (where they went when they saw me) moved off so I could continue on. Never once was I in fear for my safety. My first reaction is "Camera, Camera, where did I put it". The second is usually boredom as I have to wait if they aren't moving off quickly. Now I don't try to crowd the bear or keep approaching and I try to always leave it a safe escape route. I sometimes will swing wide around a meadow if I see one in it to leave it plenty of space.

I once had a long discussion with Yosemite's Black Bear expert. She shows up to the ADZPCTKO on the PCT everyyear. She is mainly taking about bears in the Sierra Neveda, but it should apply to all black bears in the lower 48. She said that when you encounter a black bear, don't act fearful or timid. Behave like how they do when they try to intimate. Kick some logs and rocks around you loudly. Make loud noises and yell at the bear. Try to look bigger. On the rare chance a black bear chargers you, its usually a bluff charge. Stand firm and take it as running away will make things worse and the bear can outrun you. The bear will normally break off the charge and go away. The idea is to not give the bear any reason to question its natural fear of people. The advice for a Grizzly Bear encounter is probably different.
    I heard that you aren't suppose to act all crazy until a bear gets really interested in you. Then you do what you say, but not until the bear looks like it is definitely interested and looking at you like a whopper. Then you break out all the craziness. Don't forget, that a big rock thrown through the air going at 50 mph and nailing the bear in the noggin is certainly going to discourage it.... or make it fuming mad, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    I have read several articles and have done research on bear encounters. I was wondering what some of my hiking brethren's experiences were and how they were handled. I have encountered two Black Bears and both looked me over and went about their business. This is probably close to the norm, but wanted to hear other encounters and how they were handled. Thanks.
    My wife and I have been fortunate to spot an even eight bears on our hiking adventures, most of which were on the AT, all of which were inside SNP on trail. Only once were a mother & cubs involved. In every case, we gave them space and they moved along with the exception of one large solitary bear. This bear followed us down a mountain. As we did each switchback, it seemed to get closer from the woods. It got to within 20 yards before it decided to move away. It did so very slowly, not scared at all.

The mother and 2 cubs was interesting. We stopped in the trail, and they were 30-40 yards away, with the cubs up a tree. The mother spotted us, made a sound which was followed by the cubs coming straight down the tree, and then over a ridge away from us. About a minute after that, the mother turned and went quickly in the same direction.

Images

My sister and I just finished a SOBO section hike on the AT. We saw a momma with 4 cubs just down the hill from Tom Flyod Wayside. We came into a clearing and they were on the other end. We stopped and I said "Go Momma." She ran off to the right of the trail and the cubs followed her. She looked back a couple of times to make sure we were not following. After giving her a few minutes we preceeded on. It was so totally awesome that I forgot all about my camera.

Images

Last time I was in Jellystone Park, this crazy bear wearing a fedora stole my picnic basket!

I talked to the Ranger there to complain, but he was an idiot. Kept mumbling something about "smarter than the average bear".

3 Black bear encounters. first 2 ran off when we strolled upon them, the third one literally walked into our camp like we weren't even there, more like a forest ninja. Literally 20 feet away from my friend before we saw him... Took some pictures then scared it off with rocks, but it just kept coming back waiting for us to sleep. A retired ranger from new Orleans said that he would definitely come back at night, just to put your headphones in so you can sleep while he's walking around, so i did just that. this was on a trail about 15 miles outside of Gatlinburg.

Then maybe 5 minutes later......

In New Brunswick there is on average one bear for every two square miles, so I know they are out there but you very rarely see them. There are no recorded killings by Black Bears in the history of this province. One woman was scuffed up a bit walking her dogs one morning. So my only real concern is when hiking with my small daughter in the back country, though she is getting bigger. I figure bear behaviour can change over time, do to changing hunting practices or maybe with Eastern Coyotes, and there are not that many fathers and small daughters hiking alone in the backwoods so I figure you cannot rely on statistics alone.

What I did with her when she was smaller was to carry a big stick, keep her within sight when hiking, sleep in a tent with her, hang the food away, and I didn't slather her up with any citronella flavoured bug spray or coconut flavoured sunblock or anything like that. We also made a campfire, and pitched the tent by the firepit. I think the lingering smoke helps alot. We cooked and ate by the firepit, but just boiling stuff like noodles. We were careful not to pour out any juices or anything like that. If we were cooking bacon we would have saved that for breakfast. We hung the food about 150 feet away. We did get some racoons in the morning, poking at my feet through the tent which was too short. Pretty sure they were racoons anyway. They had dragged off a pack a little ways but didn't do any damage. I think I head a bear sniffing around me when I was walking up in my bivy on a solo spring hike years ago, but it might have just been a waking dream. I sleep better with a hatchet but its heavy and not really useful for anything except in winter, and bears sleep then.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Good and legitimate question by the OP.

I'm concerned and dismayed at the rush to carry and use firearms for protecting oneself against bears. Too often humans impulsively reach for a firearm to solve a problem when the problem can often be solved more constructively in another way.

I am not against guns and using them with discretion, but I've said it before and will say it again, "fear, ignorance, and a deadly weapon are a lethal combination easily abused!" Perhaps, 90 + % of negative physical encounters with bears can be avoided if we as humans stop the focus on "problem" bears and have a deeper focus on eliminating "problematic human behavior" that results in negative encounters with not only bears, but with all wildlife.

The FIRST step in protecting human life from bears is educating those who visit bear habitat about bear behavior and then learning and applying how we, as humans, can adapt our behavior to avoid negative encounters. We must eliminate or cut down on the fear and ignorance of humans. Only after we first learn how our behavior influences that which happens around us so that we do not act of unbridled fear and ignorance should we be examining the carrying and use of firearms, especially by tourists or hikers in a National Park setting. Sometimes, firearms cause more problems than they solve! Using a gun to protect oneself from bears should be near the bottom of the list in reasonable possible solutions to protect human life from bears. Using a gun against a bear should only be used as a last recourse.

Here is a link from the Glacier NP website about Safely Hiking in the Backcountry with Bears that I think would go a long way to reducing the problems between bears and humans, IF only humans would educate themselves and apply what is written.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/upload/bcguide2010web-corrected.pdf
    Really? You really think hikers should be educated in the psychology of bear behavior before hiking in bear country? You are dismayed at the rush to use firearms to protect yourself against bears? Really? People from Alaska would laugh their arses off at that comment. If there are grizzlies where I am hiking, I'm going to be educated in how to use a powerful enough gun to kill one long before I worry about the psychology of its behavior.

Scenario, I'm hiking in Alaska and have my firearm at my side, (which is highly recommended in Griz country) and I see a Grizzly and it sees me. The FIRST thing I will do is raise my firearm and have that bear in my sites. If he leaves, he lives. If he comes after me, he dies, I hope. The LAST thing on my mind is trying to figure out its behavior and then changing mine accordingly.

There once was a guy that believed humans and griz could live together, and even did for awhile, but alas, he and his girlfriend were eaten alive. Maybe, if he had a gun, they'd still be alive. Guess he was counting on the psychology of bear behavior.......

And frankly, using a gun to protect oneself against a Griz should be at the TOP of the list of reasonable possible solutions. It is the ONLY solution that will save your arse if a Griz charges, therefore, the most reasonable solution. I am certainly not going to depend on playing dead to save myself. Yes, I fear Grizzlies and everyone should. They are wild animals and they are unpredictable and can kill you without even trying. Studying their behavior is not going to change that. Playing dead is not going to stop that bear from ripping you apart with one light stroke of his claw. Sure, the bear walked away from you, but now your back is ripped open wide, perhaps severing your spinal cord, and you're left to die a long painful death. Well, at least you weren't eaten.....

And this is why I don't backpack in Grizzly country.
    Last edited by Lilred; 06-21-2010 at 12:09.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

I have seen bears in PA a bunch and only once in SNP. Every time i have seen them they took off like a grayhound. Just last weekend I was doing lehigh gap to DWG and saw 3 of them. All took off when they noticed me. Usually the first thing I grab is my camera but never got a decent picture of one yet. In August my brother and I are heading to Alaska to do some hiking for a week or so but I think I wont be as comfortable without a gun up there. I will pick up bear spray when we land and will use that first but once I use it, my pistol will be in hand next just in case. I do wanna come back to the AT and not be a meal in AK.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

I just got back from a 16 day backpacking trip in TN and at the end of my trip I hiked out to my pick up point and the same place I stashed my emergency Thermarest cache along with two BearVaults of food.

When I got to the cache I found a bear had invaded it and ripped up the nice Prolite pad and chewed on the two BearVaults. He swatted them down the hill and I just followed the big trail he made thru the brush and got the vaults. I think he got so pissed off at not being able to get into the Vaults that he went back and tore up my thermarest. See fotogs.

What's weird is that I was camping the night before right down the hill from him. Hmmm . . . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++