WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Lightweight camp shoes

Well the Wal-Mart brand Croc knock offs weigh 12.5 ozs. Only a couple ozs lighter than real Crocs. Any ideas on a camp shoe that provides similar foot coverage at a better weight savings?
    TIA
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

I don't wear them anymore. The sneaks work great for both functions most of the time

Images

I got running shoe racing flats. They're supposed to be 7 oz. Each, or for the pair, I don't know. Either way, the specs on Zappos indicate that Crocs weigh more, and some people have reported that Crocs weigh much more.

gave up crocs and flops and extra shoes. one boot,one nation, one hike, underwear,unblueblazeable, with ice cream and bacon and pancakes for all. the weight of crocs compared to the weight of hunger removed by bacon does not compute. camp shoes is a myth being used agin my peeps to lowere bacon consumption in a bacon corrected sociaty gone fat free transiting.
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    gave up crocs and flops and extra shoes. one boot,one nation, one hike, underwear,unblueblazeable, with ice cream and bacon and pancakes for all. the weight of crocs compared to the weight of hunger removed by bacon does not compute. camp shoes is a myth being used agin my peeps to lowere bacon consumption in a bacon corrected sociaty gone fat free transiting.
    Well all that "one" stuff is nice but ONE bladder prompts me to find a lightweight, easy donning camp shoe for midnight excursions to the pee tree.
    I DO understand the bacon thing though. Nothing will keep me from the salted pig!
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Yea, I would need camp shoes aswell. Just for showering. I am going to use the old school thong flip flops

Images

Merrell Robotic Multisport Shoe - Men's 11 ounces

Images

Check out the insole flip flops. you make them out of paracord and old insoles and they weigh nothing and are good in showers or camp.

Take running shoe insoles, attach velcro straps. These will be about 3 oz. per pair.

just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control. I am the antithesis of a gram weenie. I've packed as much as 60 lbs. (yes it was heavy) I can very comfortably hike with 40 to 45 lbs on my back. Not saying hiking with less weight is not easier. Just saying that if I can carry all the crap that I carry and still come in at about 45lbs. Anyone else could easily trim an other 5 or 10 lbs off that and still have Crocs.

Images

Old Navy flip flops, 3 ozs. each (6 total, if you have just two feet), $3.50. Not as comfy as slip-on slippers. The toe stem kinda hurts your inter-toe flesh.

Or you can make your own shoe-liner slips:

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control.
    Gotta agree. The obsession with saving ounces can be taken too far.

i have knock off crocks. got them in a state park over the summer, just figure that it will be good to get out of my boots and into something. i do like the pee tree coment but i think that is why i have an empty garotade bottle in my hammock. only drink from my nalgene as not to make a mistake. cause that would be a big mistake, unless you were bear gryls and were dying in a desert.

Images

HYOH. This is not for people to talk about others hiking styles is just to give a couple of suggestions of what to wear around camp from the lightest to the heaviest if you will.

Images

styles its*

"just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control."
    "Gotta agree. The obsession with saving ounces can be taken too far."
    I too suggest that we share ideas without negative judgments --- either way. I personally prefer to save the weight and thus carry no separate camp (or creek crossing) footwear. Loosening the laces of my trail runners makes them work great for me as camp shoes, they dry fast so they're great as creek crossing footwear. Weight saved by a lot of incremental decisions like this can overall make a big difference in the quality of the hiking experience.

But there's clearly no universal appeal of one approach vs. another so --- I think the ideal is for us to share ideas and leave it at that.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Personally, i agree with the one shoe is enough.
    But, in Maine, in the late fall or spring, wet shoes can suck.
    I had a 2 friends who got frostbite on the PCT from fording with their hiking shoes on.

We do sell many of these as an option.
    They weigh 3 oz/pair for the XL
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Again, in the spirit of "just sharing ideas", and addressing the "wet shoes can suck" comment ---

I carry a pair of bread bags, i.e., two of the plastic bags that a loaf of bread comes in at the store. In camp I can change into dry socks and put the bread bags over my socks to wear in wet shoes.

Frostbite from fording on the PCT? Interesting. I and lots of people I know forded a lot of creeks in trail runners in the Sierras without problems. At first I was using neoprene socks (the water was damned cold) but that got to be too much of a hassle, at some point I think most people just walked through --- often the trail itself was a stream from snow melt. And yes, often then climbing up into snow. Still, I'm a bit surprised at the frostbite; must depend on the specific conditions, and what they were wearing (maybe no wool socks?!?).
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    They weigh 3 oz/pair for the XL
    I use these. They're great with a coupla old insoles in them.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

[QUOTE=fiddlehead;969893]Personally, i agree with the one shoe is enough.
    But, in Maine, in the late fall or spring, wet shoes can suck.
    I had a 2 friends who got frostbite on the PCT from fording with their hiking shoes on.

They weigh 3 oz/pair for the XL[/QUOTE

They do look comfy. Can these be bought at Walmart or another big box store ?
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++