WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Hostels and hiker boxes

I've read in other threads that some hikers want to save money by utilizing hiker boxes in hostels for unwanted/discarded food.

I've never done that and never will, but it made me wonder if a hiker wouldn't first need to check into a hostel (i.e. pay for a night's stay) and then utilize a hiker box? Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?

Do people just do into a hostel, take from a hiker box, and leave without checking in? I'd think that definitely wouldn't be cool, but maybe I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've read in other threads that some hikers want to save money by utilizing hiker boxes in hostels for unwanted/discarded food.

I've never done that and never will, but it made me wonder if a hiker wouldn't first need to check into a hostel (i.e. pay for a night's stay) and then utilize a hiker box? Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?

Do people just do into a hostel, take from a hiker box, and leave without checking in? I'd think that definitely wouldn't be cool, but maybe I'm missing something.
    i know here in Damascus hikers go into the 3 hostels and rifle through the hiker boxes without paying to stay. and a lot of them don't pay at "The Place" because there's nobody there to actually collect the money. the honor system does not work on the AT

Happens all the time. We even have a regular that will drive in an clean it out. We find out when he's in the area and hide the good stuff.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Images

It's a "Hiker Box". I take that to mean the contents are available to any and all hikers.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

It's free to anyone.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i know here in Damascus hikers go into the 3 hostels and rifle through the hiker boxes without paying to stay. and a lot of them don't pay at "The Place" because there's nobody there to actually collect the money. the honor system does not work on the AT

I also saw non-hikers of that year doing the same thing. First it ticked me off, then I thought, they may be broke and hungry.
    One has to do what they can to make it, I got over it, fast.

Geezer

I've never done that and never will
    Why not? .
    Frosty

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Why not? .

bet if he saw a candy bar, that train of thought would change.

Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?
    Tipping at a hostel?

LoneWolf hit it off... true, that most hiker boxes serve too many who hike the "ultra-cheap hike". Those boxes were designed to be a give & take or/ a take as needed system... Ive put in & taken out, or just added extra stuff/ food i didnt need. And, tipping at a hostel is welcomed i think. Its not necessary, but a hostel still provides a "service", and if that hostel or caretaker goes above & beyond with excellent service, i usually offer a few dollars. Its a nice gesture.
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

I can see locals getting used to abusing the hiker box.

I don't have a problem with people who happen to live locally and are hungry using it to help get by.

The first thing that bothers me about someone driving up to raid the hiker box is the fact they have enough money to own and drive a car. That right there is a disqualifying factor in my book.

I will say he is just a cheap SOB.

I have looked thru hiker boxes and even left some surplus behind, never have I taken anything.

Images

When I put something in a hiker box it is with the hope of helping someone who really needs it. I know of many folks who wouldn't have finished without the help of others and hiker boxes helped them stretch out the miles and their money. Hiker boxes can be amazing! It never fails to amaze what people will toss in them. Those who resupply either with a maildrop or at the store often end up with more than they need or want to carry. Hiker boxes are great in that they are a way to share what you don't want or need and help out those that realy need! I know of someone that never had to buy fuel for their stove as they were able to get it from hiker boxes for the eentire trail. As for those not staying at the hostel, many people don't and simply stop to resupply, shower, laundry or whatever and then move on. The way I see it is if you need something and find it in a hiker box....it was put there for you! Take it. Happy Trails.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

I don't think the contents of a hiker box belong to a hostel owner any more than they belong to the people who discarded the food/gear/clothing/etc.

And once I get rid of something I don't want in a hiker box, I don't particularly care who uses it, as long as somebody does.

There are Post Offices that have hiker boxes -- one isn't required to mail something in order to take from them. ATC doesn't require anyone to buy something from them in order to go through theirs, nor do any of the Oufitters require a purchase to do so, as far as I'm aware.

If access to the hiker box is considered a part of the services paid for when staying at a hostel, the hostel should make that clear. But I've never known that to be the case. I'm not quite sure why anyone should care who uses the contents of a hiker box. Why is it important?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Hiker boxes are essentially upscale trashcans. Pick threw them as you please because the only person who can lay claim to them is the person thet will eventually have to throw away the remainder.

Images

I have used the hiker boxes on occasion myself. As to who owns them I feel the hikers own them that is what they are there for. I have been know to purchase things to put in the box at the ATC center in Boiling Springs. I have bought fuel canisters, and miscellaneous hiker type foods just for the purpose of placing in the box.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

The contents of a "Hiker Box" should be for hikers , not for those whose mission in life is to sponge off everyone else. How can someone driving to a hostel to raid food meant for hikers be given a free pass. As mentioned previously , the hiker boxes are there for the purpose of hikers helping fellow hikers .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

The hiker boxes are for everybody. But usually the only people who use them are people who need something. The well off and well to do people have the money for everything they need. And I've found that they are the ones leaving items in a box. So if you need something, take it. Thats what its there for. And if a hostel owner tells you you can't have something in a box if you don't stay the night, Tell them to go *%^*%!!! Or have the box posted in such a manner so everybody knows. That way the person giving has a choice in their generousity.....I have also seen a hostel owner take things out of a hiker box. Bad, Bad, Bad!!! He did this just so people would have to buy stuff out of his little store. He was caught red handed when I was there and the hikers sure let him know how they felt about it. The sad thing was is that he did it the next day.

Ok I guess our hiker box is a little different during through hiker season. Its one of the first, some people don't even know what it is. one hiker last year got up kind of late and asked where his food was. When we asked where he left it he said in that box. I told him his food was about to Hogpen Gap by now. some times it gets so full we have to put stuff in other boxes till it goes down. We even have one box for food and one for gear.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Honestly I've seen mostly junk in them no one would use or too heavy to cart around. The best box I saw was at Elkwallow in SNP. Good stuff (but no one there to take anything). Saw a pair of crocs at Hiawasee - they didn't last long.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    one hiker last year got up kind of late and asked where his food was. When we asked where he left it he said in that box. I told him his food was about to Hogpen Gap by now.

I know it wasn't funny for the hiker, but that's a pretty funny story.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++