WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TarpTent MOMENT

Default TarpTent MOMENT

I had a TT Contrail for 3 summers and liked it a lot. But then teh Moment came out & I sold the Contreil to buy the Moment.
    I couldn't be happier. The Moment is an improvement over the Contrail in many ways.
    1. bigger, more useable vestibule
    2. better ventilation and ventilation control
    3. much better in high winds (always taut)
    4. even faster to set up than the Contrail (yeah, amazing)
    5. many nice details
    6. more useable headroom

Cons v.s. the Contrail
    1. slightly less floor space
    2. a few ounces more weight

To me this is the best 3 season solo tent out there. This sucker is a real solid refuge in a storm. Plus, it's American made.

If I wasn't 6'3" I most likely would have bought a Moment. Rainbow is the only Shires tarptent that even comes close to fitting me. Setting up with 2 pegs has to be nice.

This has been discussed in detail in the Gear forum under New Tarptent: this is the Moment.

There's a reference there to the BPL thread on the same.

Henry Shire specifically discusses the height/fit issue: it easily fit his 6'3" employee.

I'd suggest first calling Henry to discuss any questions about fit.

Images

Glad to hear all this, since I just ordered one last night. Hoping it comes in time for my section hike the first week in March.

I chose the Moment over the Contrail because I like the door on the side, and because it looks like it will hold up to winter weather. (In the summer I hammock.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hike smarter, not harder.

I like mine. Need to get it sealed.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I had a TT Contrail for 3 summers and liked it a lot. But then teh Moment came out & I sold the Contreil to buy the Moment.
    I couldn't be happier. The Moment is an improvement over the Contrail in many ways.............
    Eric, did you just get another urge to plug the Moment? Are you getting a kickback from Henry? just kidding

Actually I've been honing in on this one as my next tent purchase. It just seems like a very smart design. I own a TT DR & a BA Copper Spur2. Both nice for plenty of room, but I'm looking to lower my base weight & want something 2#'s or less. This one fits the bill. I'm 6'5", and not concerned about fit b/c of the overall length of 110".
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

I sold my double rainbow to buy the Moment. It was a somewhat difficult choice between the Contrail and the Moment, which went something like this:

I've owned a Rainshadow and the Double Rainbow and used a Squall a couple of times. I greatly prefer the door on the long side (like the DR and Moment) rather than at the front (Contrail and Squall.)

But the Contrail is lighter.

I like having the headroom in the middle (like the DR and Moment) rather than at the end where the pole is (like the Contrail and Squall.)

I want a shelter than I can use in winter conditions in the Southeast, like the Moment.

You can see where I was going around and around on this. Plenty of people love the Contrail. But it finally came down to the feature list overcoming the weight difference, which is only 4 ounces anyway. So not a big deal in my book. (And I save 13 ounces over my Double Rainbow.)

Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
    This has been discussed in detail in the Gear forum under New Tarptent: this is the Moment.

There's a reference there to the BPL thread on the same.

Henry Shire specifically discusses the height/fit issue: it easily fit his 6'3" employee.

I'd suggest first calling Henry to discuss any questions about fit.
    Sorry I forgot to mention I'm also pushing 300lbs with size 16 feet. Height is not my only concern.

I have the Contrail but which I had bought the Moment too. As far as weight goes well I carry 6, yes 6 stakes for my contrail thats four more than the Moment and approx. 2 more oz. So the Moment just got lighter to me anyway.

Journal Entries

Got mine about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Set it up in the backyard for a day. It is one sweet tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWalker View Post
    Sorry I forgot to mention I'm also pushing 300lbs with size 16 feet.
    300#'s... me too,
    shoe size... 13

still shouldn't stop you from this option, unless of course you're looking for a 2-person style roomy tent. I've got several of those. The Moment will be my lightweight 1-man sleep-only type of shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    300#'s... me too,
    shoe size... 13

still shouldn't stop you from this option, unless of course you're looking for a 2-person style roomy tent. I've got several of those. The Moment will be my lightweight 1-man sleep-only type of shelter.
    Problem is I use a Big Agnes pad and I don't see how 2.5" of pad 13" of feet and 5" of loft are all going to fit inside a single wall shelter unless it has plenty of room in the foot area. I have an issue with tossing and turning also. I'm sure I could cram into the moment but I wouldn't be very comfortable in there.

I've used the Contrail for several trips, but decided to buy the Moment, waiting for delivery now. I also own a Montbell Crescent 1, and the center arch design of the Moment is similar to the Crescent 1. The Moment looks better, larger vestibule and lighter weight, and better ventilation. Will likely use the Moment on upcoming thru hike. I'm going thru my stuff item by item to reduce pack weight.

Garlic
    Images

About the only other "con" I can see with the Moment is the need for at least one hoop pole. One reason I think the Contrail design is truly inspired is that it did away with the hoop pole my old Virga needed, and I had a few problems with reliability with that pole. It's been so nice to not have to deal with that with the Contrail. I agree the Moment looks like a very nice shelter, but if I had to replace my Contrail now, I'd probably get another Contrail. I really don't like depending on a sectional hoop pole, after so many miles without one.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you're only going to have one pole, the best place is in the center of the tent. The Hilleberg Akto was likely (one of) Henry Shire's inspirations. The Akto, though, doesn't have very good ventilation, but it DOES stand up to high winds, and it's nice to be able to sit up without having to slide your butt toward the door. In my Akto I often sleep with the vestibule door open. I like the feature that allows me to open it from the top under the eyebrow vent.
    I hammock in the summer, otherwise the Moment would be on my shopping list.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Well, let me chime in here and give praise to the TT Moment!! I was able to see it in person, thanks to BigCranky here at WB. WOW!! What an awesome design,, Henry's best, IMHO! I'm a big guy... 6'5" & 285#'s, and this tent fit me well. It's not a hotel like my Double Rainbow or Copper Spur2, but that's not what I was looking for. I wanted a solo tent that had room for my pack & boots in the vestibule, side entry, plenty of length for my long a$$ body, ability to handle a 25x77 sleeping pad, very stable in wind, quick set-up, and lightweight. The Moment is that and more!! I will definitely be ordering it soon!!

BRAVO HENRY!!!!!

Images

Just got back from my initial hike with the Moment. Four nights on the Florida Trail, temps in the low 30s (!), highs around 70. The Moment sets up in about a minute, stays nice and tight all night, and has a nice view out the door with the vestibule tied back.

Getting the struts on each end set up properly is a little tricky the first time, but then it's easy.

Got some condensation the first two nights, but none the third night when it only got to about 40 or so. Nothing I couldn't wipe up with a small pack towel in two minutes.

The Moment has plenty of room for me and all my gear. Will post a photo or two later.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Tarptent's website indicates total weight of the Moment at 28.5 oz.

http://tarptent.com/moment.html

My new Moment weighed an even 32 oz. total pack weight on my scale at home.

anyone else checked the Moment weight? I haven't asked Henry about it yet. It's still a real sweet shelter, I like the design.

Images

Mine weighed 30.0 oz exactly, with the stuff sack and the two included stakes. I still love it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Mine weighed 30.0 oz exactly, with the stuff sack and the two included stakes. I still love it.
    Is that before or after seam sealing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++