WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TarpTent MOMENT

after seam sealing, and I realized I weighed it with 4 stakes instead of the 2 it comes with, so that would explain the additional wt

love the Moment, very easy to put up

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    Is that before or after seam sealing?
    Um, I forget. I'll weigh it again and report back.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm holding out for Tarptent's "Millisecond" tent.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Um, I forget. I'll weigh it again and report back.
    I used three full 1.5 oz. SilNet tubes to seam seal the one I had, so it added 4.5 oz. to the total.

Mine's 30.6 ounces, including the bag and two stakes, before seam sealing.

Images

i'd like to see maybe a video review on youtube of this tent. so that i can check out the inside. unless there already is one and i have no idea where to find it...

Journal Entries

I also have one and it is a nice tent. BPL has some good threads on the Moment I know there are some good pics on it over there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    i'd like to see maybe a video review on youtube of this tent. so that i can check out the inside. unless there already is one and i have no idea where to find it...
    Video tour of inside the Moment. On the Tarptent site.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan
    I used three full 1.5 oz. SilNet tubes to seam seal the one I had, so it added 4.5 oz. to the total.
    Wow. I used maybe 1/4 of a tube mixed with a little paint thinner. I like a nice thin slurry applied with a paint brush. Though I forgot to stripe the floor, so I'll need to add a little more.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Video tour of inside the Moment. On the Tarptent site.

Wow. I used maybe 1/4 of a tube mixed with a little paint thinner. I like a nice thin slurry applied with a paint brush. Though I forgot to stripe the floor, so I'll need to add a little more.
    You guys never got the word about Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant? It blows that Silnet crap away, much easier to work with at half the price. The silnet applicator is designed so you'll use/waste several tubes, it's good for business.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Permatex was too thick for me. I'm waiting until I can get to my mixer, and use GE silicone and mineral spirits. And a throw away sponge brush.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries

I had my Moment seam sealed at the factory and with the pole and 2 stakes it weights in at 863g

Who else got the extra pole with their moment? when i set it up with the extra pole so it is free standing that pole does not touch the ground...that normal? and the triangular ends will not stay spread out....they kinda collapse in, and i'm assuming the strap that connects the two legs is there to keep them from seperating too far?? got any ideas?

I just returned from an 8 day AT section hike (Springer to Franklin) and had a good opportunity to test my Tarptent Moment. Here's a discovery that I haven't seen posted anywhere...

There are two vents in the top of the Moment. Once in camp I used a small twig (estimated four inches) to "fully open" each vent. Specifically, this was vertically inserted in each vent - bottom velcro patch to top velcro patch - the more reinforced area.

Doing this seemed to help the Moment vent more - reducing condensation issues.

The Moment is a great shelter! I'm very happy with mine.

Tagless
    Those vent seam to self seal when the shelter is stored, so good idea to open them if possible.

Re videos...
    I shot a couple of videos of it.
    One is about seam sealing it (note that I do more than necessary...) the other is a bit of fun to show how fast it can go up.
    Some young fellow (...) should be able to do it faster....
    Seam sealing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjOkxR4sgc&NR=1

setting up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA
    Franco

Do any of you who own a Moment, use a footprint?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    No, but then I haven't used a ground sheet under any tent with a silnylon bottom. Or any other tent in a while.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Well, I've been following this and other discussions on this shelter. I just ordered a Momemt as I'm going to be doing some solo section hiking also this summer. I'm flat amazed that it could weigh so little and provide so much shelter. As a petite woman I'm trying hard to keep my pack weight down as much as I can and I just couldn't find any other shelter as light and as durable that provides so much space inside. I love the vestibules...and the design looks so practical.

Thanks for all of you posting your pics and videos...it really helped me make a decision.

No, I do not.

My wife and I used a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 during our thru hike. We intended to use a footprint, and then spoke with Henry Shires about the need to do so. He shared that few Tarptents come back for needed floor repairs. With this in mind, we left the footprint home and never had a problem. We stayed in shelters about 15 times - the rest of the time in our Rainshadow. It saw some heavy use!

Obviously we used common sense, checking our camp site before pitching, removing sticks, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rainshadow on another thru hike. It held up that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    No, I do not.

My wife and I used a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 during our thru hike. We intended to use a footprint, and then spoke with Henry Shires about the need to do so. He shared that few Tarptents come back for needed floor repairs. With this in mind, we left the footprint home and never had a problem. We stayed in shelters about 15 times - the rest of the time in our Rainshadow. It saw some heavy use!

Obviously we used common sense, checking our camp site before pitching, removing sticks, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rainshadow on another thru hike. It held up that well.

I've not worried about durability but moisture control. Ever have to camp in a soggy area and if so did the floor keep out the moisture?
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I'm not worried about durability but moisture control. Ever have to camp in a soggy area and if so did the floor keep out the moisture?
    No, I can't say we ever needed to camp in a soggy area. Higher ground (but sometimes damp) choices were always available. We experienced many long rainy nights in 09. Moisture sometimes found it's way under the floor. This never posed a problem, however.

I think you will be pleased with the Moment's ability to keep out moisture without a foot print.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++