WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default ways to carry water bottle?

So after alot of atempts at reaching my H2O bottles in my packs side pockets, I realize i need a new alternative. I allready have a platy resevior for camp use and am using 1L soda bottles for easy fill up. So other than using my hands to carry my bottles, does anyone have a lt. weight suggestion.

Google "jug knot".

Images

You have a platy but you're not using it in the pack with a tube while you're hiking?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

i was kind of getting ready to ask the same question:
    i was going to ask: i have the new osprey 65 (2010) and it has a pocket for a bladder, would that be a better way to carry water or does it add to much extra weight to my pack? i plan on carry some water bottles to, but like they said it is a pain in the a** to try and reach my bottles in my side pocket. Is bladder plus water bottles to much?? i would rather have more water then not enough.
    Would a camelbak work for my pouch in my pack??? Anyone have one of these??

Images

they have those jug-knot things at walmart....saw them yesterday...they're like $3...

yeah, why not use a drinking tube with reservoir? thats all i use, because it hurts my shoulders stretching to reach bottles in my pack pockets...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saffirre8 View Post
    i was kind of getting ready to ask the same question:
    i was going to ask: i have the new osprey 65 (2010) and it has a pocket for a bladder, would that be a better way to carry water or does it add to much extra weight to my pack? i plan on carry some water bottles to, but like they said it is a pain in the a** to try and reach my bottles in my side pocket. Is bladder plus water bottles to much?? i would rather have more water then not enough.
    Would a camelbak work for my pouch in my pack??? Anyone have one of these??

Yeah, a cambelbak bladder (or any other bladder) will work fine, usually up to 2liters...

A bladder is actually about as light or lighter than a Nalgene...

All I use is a bladder...depending on how far apart water sources are, i might even only fill it half way to keep weight down...

A ultra light hiker i know simply drinks one bottle when he comes to refill point...fills that bottle up, and then waits to drink till the next fill spot...this way he only carries one bottle at a time...

do they still make the dana designs wet rib? thats what i have hooked on 1 of my packs

The bladder with drinking tube works well, but if you don't want to use that, you can do what I did on the PCT. I bought a beer bottle holder at a convenience store. It's supposed to attach to your belt. I found a bottle of something in the fridge that fit in the holder (Naked Juice). I put that on my backpack waist belt and whenever I got to a water source, I'd drink up a bottle, then fill it up half way to take a little extra with me, plus fill my other bottles (if it was a dry stretch) and then hike on. It was the perfect size to mix up some flavored stuff, too.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

My problem with a bladder is getting it in and out of a loaded pack and pumping water into it from a filter. IMHO, not very friendly for those uses.

Don't get me wrong. I use a bladder for all day activities, but not overnight.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

I bought a Gregory Z554 Pack, and took my 3-liter platy for use as a trail bottle. I found that when I needed a rest for a minute from the weight on my shoulders I leaned forward and the weight of my gear squirted the water up into my mouth. I also brought a 1-liter Nalgene bottle for purposes of backup water and measuring for cooking. Despite the fact that I started every morning at a base camp, I carried all of my gear (Including food) that I needed. I did not have a filter, so I brought along a bottle of potable aqua tablets. I could have put 2 liters in to start with and filled my nalgene at every stream crossing.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

I could be reading this incorrectly so if I am, I apologize in advance, but I really like carrying water bottles that require me to stop, take off my pack and enjoy my drink. I look forward to those break times when I take the extra moment to look around and enjoy my surroundings while replenshing my fluids. I know that everyone is suppose to "hike your own hike" but sometimes I think we get too carried away with trying to get somewhere quickly and loose out on enjoying our time in the woods. A deliberate need to stop and get out my water bottle ensures that I won't rush through the trip without any time for enjoyng where I am. Just my thoughts.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Images

Er, Z55 Pack...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    My problem with a bladder is getting it in and out of a loaded pack and pumping water into it from a filter. IMHO, not very friendly for those uses.

Don't get me wrong. I use a bladder for all day activities, but not overnight.
    I belive the Katadyn Hiker Pro (filter I intend to buy) will pump into a Camelbak drinking tube. If it is hose-hose, I am sure a double-male adapter would work.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

I also prefer a bottle, but that's because I mix protein and stuff into it. I used to have a bottle holder for hanging off the hip belt and I hated it when I tried using it before, but I think I'm going to give it another shot. Still though, while it's a pain to reach that side pocket, that does help force me into taking hourly breaks that are also very good for my feet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    I belive the Katadyn Hiker Pro (filter I intend to buy) will pump into a Camelbak drinking tube. If it is hose-hose, I am sure a double-male adapter would work.
    A Hiker Pro will filter right into a drinking tube, you are correct. Just make sure that your bladder cap hasn't cracked before you start pumping water into your pack! (a little lesson I learned the hard way on the SHT 2 years a go)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    A Hiker Pro will filter right into a drinking tube, you are correct. Just make sure that your bladder cap hasn't cracked before you start pumping water into your pack! (a little lesson I learned the hard way on the SHT 2 years a go)
    I looked it up, showed it to my mass gear supplier representative (mom...) and dhe said she would order it (score!) now, why would the cap crack?
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post

That is correct. I have that very filter and it came with an adaptor to do just that.

I don't use a bladder so I not certain if they come with different size tubes or but from what I have seen in passing they all seem to have pretty much the same size tube so that adaptor should work just fine.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

AT 2012

just a little shock chord around your pack strap... only problem is you'll look a lot like that wierd guy to the left. it is great to have access to the water bottles.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by pettas View Post
    I could be reading this incorrectly so if I am, I apologize in advance, but I really like carrying water bottles that require me to stop, take off my pack and enjoy my drink. I look forward to those break times when I take the extra moment to look around and enjoy my surroundings while replenshing my fluids. I know that everyone is suppose to "hike your own hike" but sometimes I think we get too carried away with trying to get somewhere quickly and loose out on enjoying our time in the woods. A deliberate need to stop and get out my water bottle ensures that I won't rush through the trip without any time for enjoyng where I am. Just my thoughts.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper
    What he said goes for me.
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images

Get longer arms?

My son has no water bottle pockets, he uses this little clamp thing that holds the bottle neck and attaches to his shoulder straps. We got it at walmart. Functionally the same thing as 1azarus above.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++