WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Shelter is Full

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I can't recommend it, other than the suggestions that you validate yourself as a thru and stealth when the shelters are, in fact, full. The fine is severe, if you get caught. Most of the shelters are placed at the rare areas where you really have enough room to camp. There's just not that much suitable terrain around to hide. I suppose hammockers could drop further over the edge and find a couple of trees, but, at most places, it's just not possible to find a place to fit a tent out of sight.
    ^
    Thank you for your quick response... my other question would be why are we forced to stay in the shelter and we can’t, by choice, stay around the shelter (out of the way and not on the trail) if we wanted. My understanding is that camping in tents around the shelter isn’t permitted unless the shelter is full and you are a thru hiker(?)... maybe I just need to do a little more forum searching. All I want to do is stay in my tent, if it’s at the shelter that’s fine, but why do they have a problem with it. Is there any way I could just waltz up to the shelter area and just set up camp outside?
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

You should know better than to ask "why" when government agencies are involved. Seriously, the idea is limit impact and to confine impact to small areas - either designated campsites or shelters. Your one tent wouldn't be that big a deal. What if all 14 occupants decided to do the same - empty shelter and 14 tents surrounding the shelter?

I've told this story before, but I visited LeConte one month before rationing was instituted in May, 1972. There used to be a broad treeless area in the saddle between the lodge and the shelter. It's grown in now. However, the shelter was full and, if there were one tent, there were scores in that area so close together that they had to share stakes. You couldn't even count the number of campfire plumes. That type nightmare in all the popular sites led to the present system

Images

Default Thank you Tide

I understand the argument from a conservation standpoint... these regulations are put into place for a solid reason. If only we were all educated enough that we didn’t need someone telling us how to do it... And thank you for your clarification, you answered all of my questions.
    ...God's Country, and Scotch.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    I've been to Mammoth Cave a couple of times, but wasn't really into hiking back then and didn't realize there was such a trail system there. I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks.

Will look into Otter Creek Park as well.

mammoth cave national park is a great place to backpackneo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++