WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shelter is Full

Images

Default Shelter is Full

I called a couple days ago to get reservations for 1 of the shelters for next week and it is full. It's only a 1 night trip and with the weather we have been experiencing I don't expect people to actually show up. What if we just show up fully prepared to hike back out and car camp if the shelter actually fills up? Has anyone done this?

Images

better yet.. bring your tent/hammock and skip the shelter
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Images

ah didn't see the smokey's thread.. is it still possible to stealth in the Smokies??
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

AT 2012

this past fall i made reservations for a quick south end to north end AT smokies hike in late september, and had a hell of a time getting official space... call, reserve, call, change when space became available, call, busy... call, busy... then i ended up spending a night entirely alone in a shelter, one night with two unregistered hikers and no one else, and one night with a pretty full but still plenty of room shelter. i'd suggest you make plausable reservations so you are not a scoff-law, and then stay in whatever shelter you want.
    Lazarus

AT 2012

... all right, all right, you would be a scoff-law, but at least you wouldn't appear so much like one!
    Lazarus

El Sordo
    Images

You could always hike the BMT through the park and avoid shelters altogether.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

As of today there is still 2-3 feet of snow over 5000 feet in the smokies.

Off-topic, but just noticed you're also from Louisville. I've been meaning to get on some local trails here. Any recommendations?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500 View Post
    Off-topic, but just noticed you're also from Louisville. I've been meaning to get on some local trails here. Any recommendations?
    For day hiking there is Otter Creek Park. For overnight hiking there is Mammoth Cave National Park which has about 90 miles of trail if I remember correctly. It is about 1-1.5 hours south on I-65.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I've been to Mammoth Cave a couple of times, but wasn't really into hiking back then and didn't realize there was such a trail system there. I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks.

Will look into Otter Creek Park as well.

Images

I've been to Mammoth Cave a couple of times, but wasn't really into hiking back then and didn't realize there was such a trail system there. I'll definitely have to check that out. Thanks.

Otter Creek Park is north west of Fort Knox. Many of the trails in Mammoth cave are multi-use horse and hiker. You must stay in designated campsites, and you must have a reservation for that site - but the reservation is free. The cool thing is if you have a reserved campsite it also means you are the only one that will be there. Some of them are off the beaten path so you can have private time if you like it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Try the Red River Gorge, amazing hiking trails and over 80 natural arches, unusual vegetation, and gorgeous scenery.

http://www.redrivergorge.org
    http://www.redrivergorge.com
    www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/districts/cumberland/clifty.shtml

The Harrison-Crawford (Co.) area north of the river also used to have some nice trails. They changed everything's name since I used to hike there, back in the <cough> 70's.

When I section hike, I usually skip the shelters. Often allows me to sleep better and to get more miles in a day. I am sure that when I thru hike the AT, I will probably sleep in more shelters as when the body starts to hurt, it will be nice to not have to deal with extra tasks like setting up tents.

Images

Yes Red River Gorge is awesome.

We are going to just go and hope some people just don't show up. If it turns out to be full we'll just hike out. With all of the snow that is still on the ground I am betting it doesn't fill up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    ah didn't see the smokey's thread.. is it still possible to stealth in the Smokies??
    yes, just set up camp off trail at nightfall and get moving early
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    yes, just set up camp off trail at nightfall and get moving early
    Closer to the middle of the park, inbetween the BMT and AT there are some ridge trails with campsites, no shelters!

The Smokies shelter reservation system is a joke. The "ridgerunner" and his trainee took up 2 spots normally used by thru hikers when I was there, and was a jerk about it. He kicked the rest of us out of an otherwise empty shelter, because it was "full." The reserved people never showed of course. Just be sure you have a tent and do whatever you want. What are they going to do, write you a parking ticket?
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

^that sort of ****e makes me laugh and shake my head at the same time.. do they actually stay there all night and patrol the shelters to make sure no matter how empty it stayed that yall didn't sleep in it because yall didnt reserve them?

Otter Creek Park became an economic casualty 14 months ago. The trails are closed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++