Default PCT Bear Canister Loan Program - Attn.: 2010 nobo thrus

"Last call" - there are still canisters available for loan to nobo thrus...
    Please don't wait until the last minute to put in your request - we would like to have all arrangements finalized by mid-March...

Are you on a tight budget or have limited finances, or are you coming from overseas or an area of the US and won't have ANY use whatsoever for a bear canister after your PCT thru-hike?

You may be able to borrow a bear canister for your nobo PCT thru-hike for 'free' (except return shipping)...

In 2007, 13 bear canisters were available for loan to nobo PCT thrus; in 2008, 20 canisters were available and loaned out from the 'program' (and an additional 5 through a "one-on-one" loan); in 2009, 28 bear canisters were loaned out (plus an additional 3 "one-on-one")...

The loan program is currently NOT done on a 'first come - first served basis', but rather on a show of 'some' need, however small...
    If you think you might qualify for a 'free' bear canister loan for your 2010 PCT thru-hike, contact me off-list via email at <[email protected]>, subject: “PCT Bear Can Loan”. Please briefly explain your reason or need to borrow a bear canister for your PCT thru-hike. I'll be glad to answer most of your questions regarding the loan program.

If you can afford to purchase a bear canister, BearVault has an excellent buy program (formerly a rental program):
    a BV500 for $65 including shipping to Kennedy Meadows (or Tuolumne Meadows or Echo Lake) - that's usually the lowest price on the internet when shipping is included, plus they ship it to you right on the PCT...
    See <http://www.bearvault.com/bearvault_pct.php> for full info...

Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
    Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
    Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result." - Mahatma Gandhi

Is it fair to assume that if we sent you a message and didn't hear back that we do not qualify as "in need?"

I sent my message as a reply to your e-mail via your trail journals trail forum post - maybe not to your comcast account. That may have been the problem.

Images

Thanks for this service Jim! Such a nice thing to do to help thru-hikers.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

++ New Posts ++