WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: bagels?

Images

Default bagels?

how long ill a bagel last vacuum sealed?

Images

How long will the vacuum sealed food last?
    If properly done, vacuum sealing will drastically extend the life of your food. The following are approximate shelf lives for vacuum sealed products:
    Fresh Meat: To maximize product life, store fresh meat in the freezer. Fresh meat should maintain its freshness for 2-3 years. Under refrigeration alone, fresh meat should last 2-4 weeks.
    Ground Meat: To maximize product life, store ground meat in the freezer. If vacuum sealed properly, this product should last for up to 1 year. If refrigerated, ground meat should last for 1 month.
    Fish: To maximize product life, store fish in the freezer. Once frozen, vacuum packaged fish will last for up to 2 years. If refrigerated, fish should last 1 week.
    Fresh Produce: To maximize product life, store fresh produce in the freezer. This product may also be stored in the refrigerator, but this storage method will considerably reduce the shelf life. Vegetables, if blanched, will last in the freezer for 2 1/2 years. If refrigerated, the shelf life is reduced to 3 weeks. Fruits, if frozen, will last for up to 2 years, yet if refrigerated they should maintain their freshness for 2 weeks.
    Cheese: Cheese should be stored in the refrigerator to prevent spoilage. If sealed properly, cheese will have a shelf life of approximately 6 months. Please note that if you plan open and reseal the cheese, you should start with a larger bag to allow for multiple uses.
    Breads: Breads, which includes items such as cookies or crackers, may be stored at room temperature. They should maintain their freshness for up to 6 weeks.
    Grains: Grains, including pasta and nuts, may be stored at room temperature. They will have a shelf-life of 1 1/2 - 2 years.
    Do I have to use vacuum seal bags?
    Yes. Vacuum seal bags are the only type of bag that will work properly in a vacuum sealer. The seal bar on these machines gets quite hot, and ordinary kitchen bags will melt under this kind of heat, ruining your vacuum sealer.

carried tomisas bagles springer to damascus. they were still good. started feb 18th.
    matthewski

The bag should be large enough to accommodate the items being packaged while still allowing enough room for sealing. If you make an effort to use a bag and package size that fills the chamber of your unit, you will find that the vacuum time will be less.
    Bags vary in thickness as well. The best vacuum food sealer system is the Seal-a-Meal because of its value, portability and suction. Other well-known vacuum food sealers include the Food Saver.

I think it would depend on the bagel. I don't have a vacuum sealer but I have noticed that some of the bagels form a bagel shop will mold in a day or two, As an experiment I bought some from the bread department at the grocery and just left them on the counter and they were still fine after about three weeks.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzen View Post
    I think it would depend on the bagel. I don't have a vacuum sealer but I have noticed that some of the bagels form a bagel shop will mold in a day or two, As an experiment I bought some from the bread department at the grocery and just left them on the counter and they were still fine after about three weeks.
    Proving that nothing can live on them.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Proving that nothing can live on them.
    True. They are nothing more than a means to eat cream cheese.

Images

Be careful when vacuum sealing your bagel that you don't end up with a flat bagel. Ask me how I know this....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++