WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Pouches

Default Chicken Pouches

I have read that many people bring chicken and tuna pouches along the trail add to dinners. While I see tuna all the time in the supermarket, I haven't been able to come across any pouches of chicken (aside from refridgerated ones). And the staff I have asked about it seem to have no idea what I am talking about so just wondering where people typically find these pouches of chicken? Thanks!

walmart has chicken pouches

You can order them online, for example a set of 4-oz packets via Amazon.com.
    But if you're resupplying on the trail as you go, indeed I rarely see chicken packets in even good sized grocery stores, at least in the area that I live.

An alternative is to buy canned chicken (in bulk, on sale if possible), dry it on a food dryer, vacuum seal the results in small packages and freeze those until needed. A lot of work, but this has worked for me. More recently I've become lazy and tend to go with TVP instead.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Hard to believe that Massachusetts grocery stores wouldn't have chicken in foil pouches, probably right next to the tunafish. Hard to believe that Michigan supermarkets carry a broader selection than other parts of the U.S. Try a higher-end grocery store, or perhaps just pick up a pouch on your way to the Trail!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

It's usually in the same spot as the canned chicken if they have it. Some places you can get a 3oz pouch, some have the 7oz size. Good stuff mixed with stove top (or Idahoan mashed potatoes)and instant gravy. I also throw it in my spaghetti.

You don't need to go online to buy chicken in pouches. Look for it in the canned chicken and tuna area. It looks just like the foil packaged tuna. You probably just overlooked it. Keep looking.

BTW, while I don't normally direct folks towards Wally World, the best deal I've come across on foil packaged fish are the 4 oz Wild Salmon packets at WalMart for 88 - 99 cents each.

Bayou
    Journal Entries

Last year a brand was recalled and a lot of stores stopped carrying it.

This thread is ridiculous. Chickens don't have pouches. They're not marsupials.

Images

I used to use Bumble Bee brand ... they have the bbq chicken, the southwest chicken, the garlic herb... I find none of these great things anymore where I live... ...
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    I used to use Bumble Bee brand ... they have the bbq chicken, the southwest chicken, the garlic herb... I find none of these great things anymore where I live... ...

Amazon.com has them.
    Search under Bumble Bee Chicken

Stores can be weird. Many carry chicken products in the tuna/salmon/canned fish aisle. Others carry it in another aisle. Just wander. Most likely it is there and the employees have never seen it. I often check out with unusual items in grocery stores to the checker asking "Ooh, what is that? Where did you find it? How do you use it?"

On the subject of canned versus pouch it is about equal. You can find 3 and 5 ounce cans of chicken with pop top lids (no can opener needed) in most stores. A 7 ounce pouch of chicken is equivalent to about a 10 ounce can of drained chicken. Pouched chicken weighs less as it is "dry" - no broth. You can use the broth though in cans in any cooked meal and it adds flavor, just buy a good brand with less junk in the broth. When it comes to empty containers the cans and pouches are very similar in weight. You can crush a can with your shoe heel easily - the cans are very thin these days.

As well, try places you don't think of for food - I always score great finds at Walmart and Target for food.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J.L. View Post
    Amazon.com has them.
    Search under Bumble Bee Chicken
    I've seen them advertised there but I've never seen them available
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dragon View Post
    I've seen them advertised there but I've never seen them available
    You're right, Didn't even notice that. Sorry.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

www.minimus.biz has individual/small sized servings of just about everything you can imagine.

I get mine at Target.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    LOL, keep 'em on task bro!
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Tyson Fully Cooked Chunck White Chicken 97percent fat free 7 oz packs. They are not cheap usually $2.74 each. Publix in Fl has them 2/$5 this week. I bought several. They are very good when mixed with rice and spices added. Cheaper that a Mountain House meal and only 9percent sodium

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    HA - that's were the Massachusetts chickens hide their foil pouches.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++