WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Info about the Batona Trail in South Jersey

Hiking the Batona Trail in South Jersey in late winter. Anyone have any info about it? Like regulations or trail map availability.

THANKS,

TACKLE

i know its fun.i know you can get a free map at batsto village. i know the map is posted at most points on batona trail and is easily copied. and finally i know the trail is well marked and needs no map other than for planning.
    matthewski

Do a Batona(Back to Nature) Tr search. You'll find what you need.

Camping is limited to certain campgrounds. Easy walking though so you can make miles.

but dont stop to hump your girlfriend in the pines. jersy devil an all. keep moveing.
    matthewski

heres a map thats on pp 38 in kta's pennsylvania hiking trails 10th edition 1987.

use it if you wanna get lost with your girlfriend. wooo... scary old map.....wooooo.lol.slighty
    matthewski

I believe from Dec. 15 to April 15 you cannot camp in the state parks or forests (Along the trail), however, it has been my experience that there are good stealth sights all along the trail. I have had no problem hiking the Batona during any season. It is a great beginner trail, as it is mostly flat and well-marked. Let me know if you have any further questions, about location, etc.

Default Batona Maps

There are image links for each of the five maps at the bottom of this page:

http://www.pineys.com/pc_general/batona.htm

Not sure how well they print out but you could use them for planning. They are the same as the maps in the pamphlet that you can pick up in Batsto, Wharton, or other areas along the trail.

I hiked it in early April last year. The campgrounds are spread at unfriendly distances so I stealthed a few hundred feet off trail both nights. No problem, never saw anyone patrolling except right near the Batsto ranger station.

Winter is probably the best time - ticks can be a major issue come the warmer months.

Smyth,
    Very good point on the ticks. I hiked the trail last July and it was the most unfavorable time ive ever had on the Batona. I must have pulled hundreds of ticks from my pants and shirt, etc.

I also strongly agree about the poor placements of the camps. It does inadvertantly promote stealthing.

Seeing that the Op is from Philly and may not be familiar with hiking in S NJ I DITTO the TICKS TICKS TICKS. Wear repellant or hike when they are not active.

Along the Batona Tr. there is a lot of open sandy pine forest that makes for good stealth spots. I normally wouldn't encourage it, but it isn't a big deal. LNT. Stay away from roads when you do it especially if hiking in summer or on weekends. Some folks go out to places near the Batona Tr to party. The rangers RARELY get away from their vehicles or roads. Obviously, if in a SP they may walk around and check up on you. Batsto and Wharton have some nice campsites. Some intersrting history in both places.

Another thing. This is mostly flat sandy pine forests and some lower cedar forests hiking. It makes for fast hiking. It's a short trail. When going in warmer months it means fast and light wt hiking are very possible.

Images

Thanks everyone!

++ New Posts ++