WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Money BAck! Dr Sholl's Custom Fit Orthotic Inserts

Dr Scholl's has been advertising on TV a computer based store fixture that is said to show you a pattern of the pressure points under your feet, and prescribe a pre-made orthodic for you.

Money back guarantee if they don't work for you - keep receipt and the bar code on the package for refund.

I tried the thing which is probably in all Super WalMarts by now.

There are marked locations for your feet, and you align the heels specifically to the pattern on the machine. Punch the screen to begin the test and you get a pattern of pressure on the screen. Then there is a small display that comes up and they want you to lean forward and aft so that the cross is in the circle tarter. Then you repeat that for all weight on the left and right feet. You may answer a wuestion about your weight. Then the screen gives you the recommended otrthodic insert to use, and they are stacked around the testing machine.

The major negative factor is that the price is $49.95 at WalMart. But, you do have the easy return for refund.

The bosx says, about the refund, "If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, mail in the originalUPC code from the package along with your sales receipt to : Schering-Plough Healthcare Products Inc..... for a refund".

I haven't looked at it but they reference a website :
    http://www.footmapping.com

There are three layers:
    1) a cloth top (durable)
    2) Extra support layers (the rubbery stuff)
    3) the Arch Support (harder polymer)

The length isn't full length, but is more or less a half insole. For narrow shoes, there might be some trimming to fit.

I plan to just take this pair and use them everyday in whatever shoes I wear that day. Some days, I will probably use one of the Green Superfeet and one of the Dr Scholl's, just to see how noticeable the difference is. And by Summer, I will have a good idea of durability.

I have already made a file folder with the receipt and the UPC code, and it is in the file cabinet where I can find it.

Just send it in now and get your money back. I can understand why they might not want you to return the insoles too but it does allow a loophole in their policy for the more savvy customer. For those that wish to mount their high moral horses and start shouting down their condemnations of those who would take advantage of such a situation save it.

I use Dr. Scholls inserts ( the $15 ones) in my shoes I use for Road Walks. They usually last me about two months which is 700-750 Miles. I will be waiting for your report on the use and durability.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Thanks Rocketman. I will look for the display. Might take another 10 years to get to Maine, might not be refundable by then...

But I will look!

I had some of those Dr Scholl's "smelling like McMellon. . .Gellin" deals and they SUCK! I put them in my work boots and darned if they didn't bust all on my wool socks and inside my boot!

I hope these inserts work out better for you. I know the inserts that come with the shoes are crap, so anything (except the gellin McSmelling crap) should be an improvement.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Just send it in now and get your money back. I can understand why they might not want you to return the insoles too but it does allow a loophole in their policy for the more savvy customer. For those that wish to mount their high moral horses and start shouting down their condemnations of those who would take advantage of such a situation save it.
    ??? Are you saying this because you've already tried them & found them to be crap, or what?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    ??? Are you saying this because you've already tried them & found them to be crap, or what?
    No a scam to get them for free.

Dr Scholl's doesn't require you to send the inserts in for the money back guarantee. So Pebble Puppy is suggesting you buy them and even if you are totally satisfied and think they are fully worth the money, use them and even if you recommend them to your friends, buy replacements when they were out and think the would be worth buying at twice the price, that you should send in the UPC and receipt and lie claiming your are dissatisfied.

Essentially PP is urging you to stealing the product, not much different than urging folks to shoplift.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Default First Report

Shoes: New Balance trail runners (model 83)

Inserts: Left Scholl's Right Green Superfeet

Use: All day, biking and mall shopping

Results:
    On first putting on the shoes/inserts, I notice that the arch support of the Superfeet is higher and there is a slight feeling of a "lump" under the arch.

Most of the time later in the day, I notice no difference between how the feet in either shoe/insole are feeling.

Conclusions
    None.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Conclusions
    None.
    Good conclusion for me! Not enough arch. Thanks for the update.

Images

I bought the Dr Scholl custom orthotics (440) about a year ago and have used them in several shoes. These are completely different than all the other Dr. Scholls crud you find in the local drugstore. The only real wear is from my dog chewing on one of them. I'm a true believer in them for everyday work shoes. They make a huge difference, and now I have no foot pain.

I also have a new pair of the Superfeet (green) inserts in my trail runners. I'm trying to break these in and get used to them. The high arch and slight lateral sliding (and squeaking) due to no traction on the bottom of them, is not pleasant. I'm hoping that will disappear after wearing them for a few more miles. I'm a bit concerned about the Dr.Sholls ones for hiking though, due to the occasional 'shifting' due to the fact they are not full length. I'll pay attention to your report, as I'm quite interested in your findings.

-Grimey

Quote Originally Posted by Grimelowe View Post
    I bought the Dr Scholl custom orthotics (440) about a year ago and have used them in several shoes. These are completely different than all the other Dr. Scholls crud you find in the local drugstore. The only real wear is from my dog chewing on one of them. I'm a true believer in them for everyday work shoes. They make a huge difference, and now I have no foot pain.

I also have a new pair of the Superfeet (green) inserts in my trail runners. I'm trying to break these in and get used to them. The high arch and slight lateral sliding (and squeaking) due to no traction on the bottom of them, is not pleasant. I'm hoping that will disappear after wearing them for a few more miles. I'm a bit concerned about the Dr.Sholls ones for hiking though, due to the occasional 'shifting' due to the fact they are not full length. I'll pay attention to your report, as I'm quite interested in your findings.

-Grimey
    There is probably a way to knock down the shifting of these partial length inserts. One way is to find a real cheap and thin insole and "tack" the full length insole to the Scholl's or other partial insole. Velcro is probably too much like a "bump" causer to be a way to do this.

Maybe someone has a good suggestion for making partial insoles "stick in place", and yet be removable.

Good to hear that you have gotten long term relief from these in work shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post

Dr Scholl's doesn't require you to send the inserts in for the money back guarantee. So Pebble Puppy is suggesting you buy them and even if you are totally satisfied and think they are fully worth the money, use them and even if you recommend them to your friends, buy replacements when they were out and think the would be worth buying at twice the price, that you should send in the UPC and receipt and lie claiming your are dissatisfied.

Essentially PP is urging you to stealing the product, not much different than urging folks to shoplift.
    Exactly. Thief. Apparently he wasn't raised right.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Good conclusion for me! Not enough arch. Thanks for the update.
    The Scholl's testing machine stated that I have a low arch. That was part of the diagnosis. So, the feeling of more arch support from the Superfeet may just mean that I should be wearing a low arch version of Superfeet.

At day's end, however, neither insole felt better, just on initial putting on of the shoe/insole was the higher arch of the green Superfeet noticed. So, maybe each of those insoles was "Close enough for everyday use". Maybe there are more trying uses where the difference would show up.

I stick with my "NO Conclusion" evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post

If it says something like "dissatisfied for any reason", I would certainly not make the comparison to stealing. It would be logical to say that I would be happier if I could get them at a lower price or free. Therefor I would be dissatisfied that I had to pay full retail. Can I have my money back now please?

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If it says something like "dissatisfied for any reason", I would certainly not make the comparison to stealing. It would be logical to say that I would be happier if I could get them at a lower price or free. Therefor I would be dissatisfied that I had to pay full retail. Can I have my money back now please?
    Real clever rationalization.

It's just that honor is still a "fashion" for some of us.

Mrs. Baggins is right, I guess. It's how you were raised.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Default Second Day Report- Notes on "Expert Fitters" Superfeet.

Today, my main activity was the bicycle, rode six miles out and back hauling a old printer to Staples for a $50 discount on a new one (Networked Laserjet HP 1505n B&W) with already a $100 off special. I shopped at an outfitter along the way and a shoe store looking for trail runners.

I noticed two (2) differences between the Superfeet and Scholl's inserts.

1) There was forefoot looseness noticed in the Scholl's side. Because of the lack of a full insole, the ball of my foot and toes were on the inside bottom of the boot floor, and they had all that extra room because there was no insole thickness at that part. There was just a lot of extra room because there was less "boot stuff" in that part of the shoe. I could take my own advice and put down a thin flat insole beneath the Dr Scholl's so as to reduce the shoe volume in the ball/toe area. This might become a problem when walking on rough rocky ground which wants to twist your foot in random directions. Or, some clever way of tying that tightens up the forefoot.

2) I felt some roughness near the tip of the Scholl's insert. On taking off the shoe and looking inside and feeling around and shaking it out, it was a small piece of stone. NOthing to do with the insert. The Scholl's insert was slightly "stuck" to the inside bottom of the boot. I don't think it is going to wiggle around and get out of place after only a few wearings.

- - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yes, when first put on, I could again feel the greater arch thickness of the Green Superfeet, but the fit discomfort went away relatively quickly as my foot adopted to the insert.

Remember, the diagnostic School's machine said that my arches were low. It is possible that the insert selected by the machine could have taken that into account in the insert selection.... no way to know as the box just doesn't contain any of that description.

Does anyone have complaints that the green Superfeet have high arch discomfort? Would those of another color perhaps be more suited to low arches?

Well, I looked it up at the Superfeet website and the Blue Superfeet details include:

================================================== ====

Designed primarily for tighter fitting footwear, Superfeet BLUE is our most versatile product. BLUE provides excellent biomechanical support for the widest variety of foot shapes. Featuring Agion® antimicrobial top cover treatment to reduce bacteria and help prevent foot odor.

Ideal for feet with low to medium arches that cannot tolerate maximum support.
    ================================================== ===

So, this looks like a plus for the Dr. Scholl's diagnostic machine. It told me that I had a low arch, and the Green Superfeet description says:

=================================================

Designed primarily for footwear with a removable insole, Superfeet GREEN provides maximum support and shock absorption. Featuring Agion® antimicrobial top cover treatment to reduce bacteria and help prevent foot odor.

Ideal for feet with medium to high arches.
    =================================================

Since the Dr Scholl's machine is free to use, maybe you could go there just to see what it diagnoses for you. At least, it will let you avoid getting high arch support for low arch feet.

I have bought (and had "fitted") 3 Superfeet sets, and they all selected Green models for me because I was backpacking.

Maybe the "Expert Fitters" I had were not so "Expert" after all.

You can have your money back...but put the product in the trash.

The company is allowing you to return the product and get a full refund if dissatisfied. However, for obvious reasons they don't want your smelly used insoles sent to them. So you get your money back, insoles go in trash. When they refund you the money, you cease to own them, continuing to use them is theft.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

A thief and a BS artist. Lovely.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

My son started using the "gellin" insoles in his Hi-Tecs and is very happy with them. I have nearly flat feet and collapsing arches. I tried Super Feet when we stopped at Neels Gap - - caused even more extreme pain. Got Rx orthotics for $300 and while they worked I was pretty upset with the price. So I figured out how to take off-the-shelf full insoles (I just buy whatever seems to have the highest arch support) and then I add an extra arch-support piece under that. Works absolutely fantastic! Zero foot pain and I just toss them out every few months, or more depending on how much hiking I do, and replace them. I can do that for about $100/year vs $300/year and I'm much happier with my own "home built" version over the Rx ones. I still wear Hi-Tec boots (Altitude IV style - hi cut) and always will. Love 'em.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

You guys kill me. After all this time you take anything I say seriously? 1) I don't wear, and have never worn inserts. 2) Even with the money back guarantee I'm too lazy to take the time and effort to take advantage of it. As a kid I may have lifted a candy bar or two and I do recall shoplifting a Playboy when I was about 10 but I've been clean for 32 years. I've been rehabilitated damn it. Ya'll can dismount your high horses now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++