WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poles vs Staff

Default Poles vs Staff

I know a lot of long distance hikers use poles, but I was wondering what the difference between a pole and a staff was. I intend to bring one or the other (I'm leaning toward a good hiking staff, I'm more familiar with them, and I know where to get a good one), but a lot of people seem really solid on hiking poles, and I was curious to hear more about them.
    Credendo Vides

The biggest thing about treking poles is the straps. When used correctly you can push off with each step taking the weight of your pack off your feet knees and hips.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

The good thing about a staff is there is less of a chance it will collapse on you. The nice thing about poles is that if you only want to use one, or none, they collapse, and go in your pack easily. If you go for poles I highly recommend ones with a "flick lock" as opposed to the twist lock used in most Leki poles. I've got the knee surgery to prove how little faith I have in twist lock mechanisms.

Journal Entries

Commercial hiking staffs tend to be too heavy, which is why I make my own. I wouldn't buy anything that weighs more than 12 ounces. I aim for 9 ounces. A natural sapling, with just the bark removed, is remarkably strong -- stronger than any hiking pole I've seen. Look for something around 3/4th inch in diameter if you want a wooden staff.

Images

If you go with a "Natural" staff, I suggest finding a cane or crutch tip for the bottom end. It is amazing, how fast a wood tip can wear down, even on "soft" dirt. One of my favorite day hiking sticks is locust (a VERY hard wood) & is well seasoned, yet it is about 3" shorter than when I initially made it. Most of my wood sticks also have a nail driven in (after a small pilot hole is drilled to prevent splitting) to add wear resistance if (when?) I lose the tip.

I still prefer my ski poles for longer hikes, mostly because of the straps as mentioned above. I don't have to actually hold on to the poles.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

It takes a little more time to get used to using two poles. I used a stick found in the woods for years and got by fine. I can tell folks who are new at the hiking (trekking) pole thing - they don't seem to know exactly what to do with two at once, and sometimes end up tripping over them or getting them stuck in the bushes that crowd the trail in many places.
    You're only 25, so you shouldn't need (although LW would tell you that no one needs - and he's right, if the emphasis is on the word "needs") hiking poles. They just make things a little easier on your legs (knees, especially) on the ups and downs. They don't really help that much on smooth, level trail (stream crossing excepted).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hike smarter, not harder.

After years of skiing, two hiking poles were really natural. And I agree, using the straps properly makes all the difference in the world. As far as staffs, Luxurylite makes an interesting looking one.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    The biggest thing about treking poles is the straps. When used correctly you can push off with each step taking the weight of your pack off your feet knees and hips.
    I think they might help with balance, but your legs still carry the weight. I have a hard time believing your arms and poles carry any significant amount of weight.

I'm not a long distance hiker. I don't use poles, like my hands free. I'd start without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    If you go with a "Natural" staff, I suggest finding a cane or crutch tip for the bottom end. It is amazing, how fast a wood tip can wear down, even on "soft" dirt. One of my favorite day hiking sticks is locust (a VERY hard wood) & is well seasoned, yet it is about 3" shorter than when I initially made it. Most of my wood sticks also have a nail driven in (after a small pilot hole is drilled to prevent splitting) to add wear resistance if (when?) I lose the tip.
    Actually, what I find works best (from experience over many, many years) is a tin can (usually pineapple for some odd reason). You just take the lid once it's been cut off, bend it around the tip, and tape it into place with electrical tape. Works wonders, stays on, protects the tip, and doesn't fall off even when in very, very wet conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, sleet, submerged in river to help cross, etc).

I'm thinking of getting a persimmon or dogwood staff. I enjoy a good piece of driftwood, but there are no places nearby for wood to drift to me, so I got lucky and found a seller on etsy.
    Credendo Vides

Poles come in handy if you get in a fight with someone carrying a staff. boom boom vs boom.

I like a wooden hiking staff for hiking, or nothing.
    I use two poles for skiing.

Images

I use a staff like this... http://www.trackspoles.com/walking_h...=SherliteStaff
    It has a removable walnut knob with a camera mount underneath. Good hand strap and removeable rubber foot with a spike.
    Good for taking solo pics of yourself.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Two hiking poles can take a surprising amount of the load off your legs and knees, especially on steep downhill segments. Sure, it's only for a split second as you plant the pole, but those split seconds add up. (See "rest step" in mountaineering.) On an uphill, the poles help me keep a steady pace and push a little harder. On any trail, they help with balance on slippery rocks, stream crossing, etc. I wouldn't hike the AT without them.

That said, when we hike the Florida Trail next week, I'm taking my Tracks staff. I won't need the help on those big climbs , and I can use the staff for a monopod, or to fend off crazy raccoons.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I use a cedar staff I found in the woods hiking. It weighs a couple of pounds, but really helped me on my section hike last year.

Why use two poles
    Balance, Support, Propulsion.
    Trekking pole users take 6% fewer footsteps per mile!
    longer, more relaxes stride, no hestition onups and downs.
    ymmv. usually more.
    85% of thru hiker finishers have two poles!

The Leki Super Lock is THE strongest, but requires righty tighty lefty loosey skills
    The new Leki Speedlock fixes the issues with the fliclock (strength) but as with all external locks, no functional shock ...yet.
    but the Speedlock is sexy!

I still use a staff made out of Pacific Madrone, tough as can be. Knitting Melissa, What kind of driftwood you looking for? Some thing to make a hiking staff out of? I'll watch in my travels up and down the beach for ya. No cost, just shipping.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Images

Let's see . . . how many poles vs. sticks threads does this make now? With the same variety of pros/cons . . .

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I use trekking poles. After all the cross-country skiiing I did in my teens & twenties, that two-pole action comes very naturally to me.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel bait View Post
    Knitting Melissa, What kind of driftwood you looking for? Some thing to make a hiking staff out of? I'll watch in my travels up and down the beach for ya. No cost, just shipping.
    Hahaha, only if you send my dad with it! I'm afraid he got all the carving skill in the family. My apartment, sadly, just isn't setup to finish and seal any sort of wood, but thank you for the offer.
    Credendo Vides

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

I don't own trekking poles (yet) so I can't opine on the overall benefit; but, I have tried out a basic wooden hiking staff and I immediately recognized the extra energy expended just by having to grip the staff harder in order to keep it where you wanted it. That being said, I'm of the opinion that trekking poles with the contoured grips are the much better option from an energy burned standpoint.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++