WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Pants and a belt?

Need some help with a good pair of hiking pants. Here is the problem I am a short chunky guy and I find hiking pants very hard to find. I was thinking about the railriders versi tac pants but ordering them @ $98.00 I want some other input. I run in inseam of 28-30in only being about 5ft 6in tall. I find that most pants end up with the knee pads being more like shin guards. I want something light and comfortable. I run a waist of about 40 and have no rear end so I need a good belt that will not drag me down and get all fouled up when it gets wet. Anyways any help would be great.

Thanks
    Hope that I will be able to hike thru just as soon as I retire.

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like MH Mesa convertables - designed for backpacking. They come with a nice thin belt.

I added suspenders to my hiking shorts.

Stephenson Warmlite will custom make a pair of hiking pants with full side zips for $95.00. Send them a pair of comfortable pants that they can use as a pattern. Here: http://www.warmlite.com/vb_shirt.htm scroll down to middle of the page. The fabric they use is Nomex - used in fire retardant suits. I intend to order a pair this year.
    Fwiw, I used to own one of their sleeping bags. The construction was nearly flawless, done by hand in the USA.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by mdgamewarden View Post
    I find that most pants end up with the knee pads being more like shin guards.
    That's the way I see many young people wearing their pants, below the buttocks, usually with colorful boxers between the waist of their pants and their shirt.

If you don't like that look, since you are so hard to fit being short, chunky, and assless, you should consider buying a very good quality pair of pants like the ones you mention and have them altered with special attention paid to reinforcing the seam between the buttocks and around into the fly.

Images

try using a web strap for a belt. works for me

DoughNut

I second the motion for suspenders. I wear a belt, but my suspenders, the Perry type, clip directly onto the belt. I got mine at the local Wally World.
    I wouldn't hike without 'em.

Images

Pants with an elastic waist might work. My Royal Robbins pants have an elastic waist and a belt too. The belt is over kill but to remove it I would have to cut it in half so the belt comes along for the hike too. You can pretty well specify leg length these days with most pants.

Images

Why not buy pants that fit your waist then have the legs & seat hemmed to fit at a dry cleaners that does alterations?
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Give a look at REI Sahara convertibles. They come is sizes S-XXXL with inseams from 28"-36". I have a few pairs of them, they're durable, fit true to size and go on sale at least a couple times a year. Probably worth looking into, especially if you're hard to fit.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

You might try convertibles with a draw string. I've found that, after awhile, hiking with a belt of any kind interferes with my the upper portion of my hip belt. I must admit that I've never needed, tried, or used suspenders, but the right type might be a solution for you.

Being even shorter than you (5'5"), I have the same problem with inseams and either order supplex nylon types from Cabelas where they will hem the inseam to my length or more recently, I found REI Sahara convertibles that come in a standard 28" inseam in medium (REI $55) as noted by Hooch earlier. Not sure about larger sizes but may be worth a look.

Thanks for all the good input. I will do a little research and head over to REI to try on a few. I dont know about the Nomex idea. As a one time firefighter I think that would be a little hot. I could be wrong
    Hope that I will be able to hike thru just as soon as I retire.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'm a short guy myself (5'6") with 29-30" inseam.

If you are on the heavier side, suspenders (as mentioned) are going to make the pants fit the best. Adjustable for how far up or down you want your pants to ride and (IMO) more comfortable than a belt for active outdoor use regardless of your weight.

Many ski pants (and bibs of course) use suspenders vs belts.

A belt under a pack's hip belt is something many people seem to find uncomfortable.

Good luck!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have used Railriders for the past 400 miles of Trail. I plan on wearing them all the way to Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgamewarden View Post
    Thanks for all the good input. I will do a little research and head over to REI to try on a few. I dont know about the Nomex idea. As a one time firefighter I think that would be a little hot. I could be wrong
    Stephenson will make you a pair of their pants in any reasonable fabric you desire. They use the Nomex because it's tough as nails, supposedly. If it's really that hot, I doubt they would use it. I'm assuming there is more than one weave and weight of the Nomex, too. If you send the fabric they'll drop the price by $30.00, (if I remember correctly), according to the website.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default OMG vs. ***

oh my god! what the hell has happened in the last 10 years? belts? suspenders? $95 Nomex shorts? ***? it's a trail not a runway; get yourself down to goodwill and buy a $5.00 boxer style swimsuit with a frickin drawstring waist. when it gets cold you wear long john bottoms under the shorts. hiking is a simple evolution dude, don't overthink it. you have the early symptoms of analysis paralysis

Images

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    oh my god! what the hell has happened in the last 10 years? belts? suspenders? $95 Nomex shorts? ***? it's a trail not a runway; get yourself down to goodwill and buy a $5.00 boxer style swimsuit with a frickin drawstring waist. when it gets cold you wear long john bottoms under the shorts. hiking is a simple evolution dude, don't overthink it. you have the early symptoms of analysis paralysis

Doesn't get much better than that.

++ New Posts ++