WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default Hiking without big toes nails.....

at the end of PA half my big toe nails were black, after NJ and NY they'd turned all black...about 3 weeks ago off they both came. I've been doing little hikes between 3 and 7 miles and it doesn't seem to matter, but I've got Conn and Mass coming up in 7 weeks and I've never lost toe nails before now....anything to consider?
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I once put in a 30 mile day on a dayhike with new boots. When I got home and took the boots off, under each toenail was a blister about an inch around and a half an inch thick. Within a few days the toe nails fell off. It took about 6 months for them to grow back. Once the blisters healed I didn't have any problems with them and no pain. In fact, prior to this happening I had had problems with ingrown toenails for several years ever since breaking in my boots in the Army...apparently losing the nails and starting over cured the problem and I haven't had an ingrown toenail since.

Images

You've already gotten some bigger boots, I hope?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

2010 complete

I lose them ever year. Quit slamming your feet on the rocks. I notice when I start to get tired, I end up hitting a rock by not picking my feet up. It makes me mad. I don't even get a discount for my pedi. Fortunately, my nails will grow back by Spring.

let me be the first to say,ooooo gross! you dont just loose tonails. try keeping them in the same place so youll know where they are at all times.
    matthewski

remember pain is the bodys warning system and the brain is the bodys drunken master asleep at the consal while nail allarms sound. you dont just get black and blistered toes without first haveing that first hint of a hot spot or redness. any foot problems hiking need imediate addressing. they are the vehicals with witch to hike. no feet equals no hike. learn to make a big fuss over any foot discomfort. stop imediatly when the slightest hint of trouble exists. and when the big decision to zero must not be taken lightly due to foot issues, decide in favor of the feet. with no concideration to need of food or dry or town. stop and heal should be an ad campaign.or, heal in place.
    matthewski

matty? have you had your cholesterol level and BP checked lately? get it done

Quote Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
    matty? Have you had your cholesterol level and bp checked lately? Get it done
    :d lolololololllllll
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've got both toenails gone too from my section hike in October. I'm not worried about that, I've got another leg issue I'm concerned about right now (possible TTS).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    You've already gotten some bigger boots, I hope?
    For sure the most important thing. Back when I worked in a camping/kayaking store, a boot rep told me that people are often fitted with the wrong size shoes, based on what they wear as casual footwear. Basically the long and the short of it is that most people buy athletic footwear that is a half to a full size too small. If you're active, your toes need the extra space, especially if you're going to be slamming your toes into rocks every third step.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I lost my toenails once. Had to descend a steep mountain. Everything seemed fine until the next morning. There were big painful blisters under my toenails. Ouch. I'd worn those shoes a million times before without getting blisters. Why now?

Eventually the nails fell off. Did that ever feel GREAT! I loved not having big toenails.

There's an ultra runner whose had his toenails surgically removed. I'd try better fitting footwear first.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    For sure the most important thing. Back when I worked in a camping/kayaking store, a boot rep told me that people are often fitted with the wrong size shoes, based on what they wear as casual footwear. Basically the long and the short of it is that most people buy athletic footwear that is a half to a full size too small. If you're active, your toes need the extra space, especially if you're going to be slamming your toes into rocks every third step.
    This is so true. Your toes need to be able to splay out in front of you, not be all crammed inside. Find shoes with a wide toebox but a tight enough mid-section so that you don't slide forward inside.

If you follow my advice, be prepared to throw out all your old shoes when you get home. Once your toes straighten out and separate, you won't be able to wear the full size too small shoes you once did.

See this web site for good info about foot damage from shoes and restoring natural foot function: http://nwfootankle.com/

You probably injured your toenails because they were banging against your shoe.

Make sure your toes have enough room to wiggle, that you are wearing cushioning socks, and that your shoes fit properly and are tied in such a way that they don't slip and hit the nail even going downhill. Also trim your toenails short and straight across the toe so they don't jam in the toe of the shoe. It can be one severe trauma such as hitting a rock but it is more likely cumulative injury from many small incidents.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

No new boots, and the boots I'm wearing let me wiggle my toes, in fact in the toe area they feel airy/roomy. I'm just thinking this is something I can thank the rocks of PA for and that first half of NJ...the boots have never given me a blister either. Thanks for the replies, esp. matthewski
    Start out slow, then slow down.

2010 complete

doesn't anyone else recall excruciating pain after stubbing their toes on the rocks? I never had the big toe blisters, just the blunders.

If you are stubbing your toes with your shoes on your shoes are probably too small.

I noticed that after a few months of wearing the same size that my toes were getting stubbed often. I had to get a different size. Actually, I moved up to a 4E. Once my shoes were wide enough, I didn't stub them anymore.

One time I cut my toenails nice and short, and went on a trip of several days length.

The cut end of the toenails dug into the now-bare end of my toes, and within a dozen miles, I was a hurting pup.

I don't cut my toenails really short anymore as a result of that lesson. If your boots fit properly, having some toenails is no problem.

I can't even remember how many times my husband and I lost our toe nails on our 2007 thru. It was actually a relief when they came off. I have noticed since the thru they tend to turn black and come off very easily even on only a two or three day hike. Yes, my boots fit fine! There is a gel like toe cap that probably would cure the problem but it is one more thing to carry.

Aside from boot size considerations, are they laced up properly so that they're holding your foot in place (more or less), giving it some restraint downhill?

I found by buying a bigger size I got blisters on my heels, I have a very narrow foot. I think it is the fact that some toes are just longer than others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++