WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: when not hiking

Default when not hiking

just wondering if anyone wants to share about other sports/activites you might participate in when not hiking. i haven't been this excited about playing softball for a few years, turned 43 yesterday and still able to knock them out of the park i will always love LDH, but its a sweet feeling when you hit that ball just right! played for 20 years and traveled all over the country playing. played semi pro baseball for a couple years. ida(ole' lady) bought me a membership in the GPAA gold prospectors association of america(b-day present). new hobby(gold)im hooked! my karate and guitar playing are lacking and i have a 68 camaro that i tinker on. my biggest pride and joy is 2 1/2 years old and she keeps me smiling!

Sports photography at the high school/college level. Was heavily involved with baseball over the past 20 year, coaching. I've passed the clicker to the younger guys but still hang around the game. I'm hoping my son stays involved with baseball once his college years are over. His college eligibility is over and is now working on getting Dr in front of his name.

I volunteer considerable time to Habitat for Humanity builds.

Would love to try my hand at Curling should a local rink offer it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I like to play and listen to music. I love playing pretty much any instrument and most of my friends do the same so we love jammin. In fact I am about to go play some right now =>

Screenplay writer--feature and short films/ guitar playing song writer/commercial/Tv/Film production work/ some acting/ annoying 'normal' people.

2010 complete

runner....

Images

i surf alot......on WHITBLAZE that is....haha

I like to cycle and have done a few overnight trips in the last 2 years including the entirety of the C&O Canal last year. Hoping to do more. On tap for this year is the annual NYC 5 borough bike ride. I did it in '03 2 days after I retired and had a blast.

Also like listening to music, day hiking, and non-hiking trips to cities and historical/cultural sites. Just returned last week from 12 days in the Caribbean - Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.

Re your reference to baseball, my biggest thrill was in Summer of '03 visiting the Field of Dreams in Iowa. There were some folks playing around on the diamond so I joined them. I hit the balls OK but the highlight was out in center field when I caught a deep fly ball. As a 55 year-old retiree, it felt great! Of course I could hardly throw it back into the infield.

Cycling, sailing, xc skiing

Mostly lying around, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Besides hiking, (my favorite)
    Whitewater kayaking,
    running,
    rock climbing,
    video shooting and editing,
    guitar,
    bass guitar,
    keyboards,
    woodworking (some carpentry)
    dabbling in writing my blog and photography (certainly no expert in these two)

and of course, my business: selling long underwear and warmstuff.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I have an antique vehicle (1926) that I cruise around the area with during the summer. I also am into college football for the fall.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

I swim, and ride my bicycle.

And I still play video games.

Now that I think about it, I'm doing the same stuff I was doing when I was a kid. Yay!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Backcountry (Nordic and Tele) Skiing. Lots of it. I love it as much as hiking.

I went to the climbing gym for the first time last week. Did a 5.9. Pretty stoked. Plan on doing some more climbing (outside!) in the months ahead.

Avid amateur photog from the above experiences.

Workout M-F ~1hr (light weights, cardio, core). Enough where I am drenched in sweat anyway.

Try to do the equivalent of 1 - 2 wks of (40-80 hrs,work week equivalent) of volunteer work a year.

When not doing physical activity, I cook (do almost all the cooking for my girlfriend and myself. Pretty darn good at it if I do say so) and read a lot.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-07-2010 at 00:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I trace family trees (genealogy)--been doing that since age 9 (and I am now age 48).

When I get the chance, I refinish wood furniture (started doing that around age 14).

I am a politics junkie. (I was previously elected 3 times as mayor of our Village and I am currently taking a break from local politics). I watch a lot of political stuff on TV and read a lot of political stuff online and in newspapers.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Damn, i have so many hobbies I can't remember them all.
    In addition to the ones i listed in post #9, I also:
    Play tennis, golf (took it back up last year after 30 years of not playing), frisbee, swimming.
    I tried to take up surfing a few years ago and cracked 2 ribs so, gave that one up fast.
    Did i mention hiking?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Hmmmm, this is a good thread, I have ot think..

I enjoy playing the Native American Flute along with the guitar and piano..
    Bicycling, long distance and touring..
    studying herpetology..love reptiles, worked in the Dallas Zoo for 5 years and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as a Herpetologist/Animal Vocal recordings..Love that..
    Music, oh wait!!! i already said that..
    Recording, working on a new upcoming CD..
    And a Private Chef..thats my bread and butter..
    Oh and i cant forget, studing maps for my next adventure..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

fiddle and mandolin, badly
    Irish flute, passably
    trail running
    hiking
    recumbent triking
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Taking the tent trailer out camping; world travel (going to Turkey this year); fishing; reading ALOT; cooking; writing travel articles;biking on the Mt Vernon Trail and C&O Canal path; sightseeing/road trips; events at the Kennedy Center in DC; growing herbs for cooking; day hiking whenever possible of course.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    I have an antique vehicle (1926) that I cruise around the area with during the summer. I also am into college football for the fall.
    what kind of car do you have? VOLS FAN?
    i am a Nebraska Huskers fan(GO BIG RED!) Tenn. & V. TECH are in my top 5 favorites.

jnanagardener

Tons of gardening, kayaking, cooking (thanks for the reminder Mags), occasional tennis

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++