WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    I wouldn't hike that trail until a guide came out with a respectable hiker on the cover. Just sayin'. . .
    I hear that. I mean, why cant they put a hiker on there without a beard. Who hikes with a beard???

Wow - I've missed a lot in a few hours.

My point was - I'd be so embarrassed that I would rather die than let everyone know what an idiot I was. Of course it wouldn't happen to me, because I'm just not that stupid. (Some of you might disagree, let's not argue the point )
    Many people do die of shame. Not recommended by SAR, but I hear you.

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    many people do die of shame.

Not sure what 7625 means.

Just saying, people often get into deeper trouble because of shame.

Ah. Now I get it.

Ah well. I'm not proud, or tired. lol

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I wouldn't hike that trail until a guide came out with a respectable hiker on the cover. Just sayin'. . .
    Sketchy guy indeed. Any guy who grows that much facial hair
    in about two weeks has gotta be suspect....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Devices like SPOT, cell phones and even internet forums makes people lazy. Why should you stop and figure out a problem yourself when just at the push of a button you can have someone figure it out for you?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Sketchy guy indeed. Any guy who grows that much facial hair
    in about two weeks has gotta be suspect....

Probably on the "no fly" list. . .
    It's a great day to be alive !

So...

Should people carry a SPOT without first carrying some sort of Communications device?

Beuler? Beulur?

Images

They should carry neither.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Doesn't really solve the problem of SAR out rescuing people unneccessarily.

The problem is that one group of people are pushing the wrong technology,
    and another group, SAR volunteers, are paying for it.

Free market strikes again.
    It would solve the problem.

Right now the guys doing the rescuing are either doing if for free or the state is paying for it. If the rescuers are getting $100/hr on the idiots dime, they probably don't mind going out for a hike as much as if they were doing it for free. And the taxpayers don't mind the S&R if they ain't funding it.

Plus once news gets out that hitting the panic button costs ya a couple of grand, folks are gonna only hit the panic button in life or death situations.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I can buy that, but that still doesn't answer the question. lol
    Don't make be push my SPOT button again.

Sorry, that was in response to "carry neither".

Don't make be push my SPOT button again.

TMI.....

Imagine if we had all our airplanes and ships floating around out there with emergency beacon capability and no communications capability. It's just plain silly.
    Well, EPIRB devices were in ships long before SPOT came out, and were designed to be used when other forms of communication were knocked out, or the crew was disabled to the point that they couldn't communicate. So this technology was specifically designed to be used as an emergency beacon when no other communication was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by d'shadow View Post
    I keep wondering if the outcome would have been different if Meredith Emmerson had had one.
    Probably not. Unless she had one heavy enough to knock him unconscious with.

Doesn't really solve the problem of SAR out rescuing people unneccessarily.

The problem is that one group of people are pushing the wrong technology,
    and another group, SAR volunteers, are paying for it.

Free market strikes again.
    Actually, I believe that SPOT is the proper technology, being misused by people that don't understand that it's supposed to be used as a last resort, in an actual emergency. There's no need to add another layer of technology to it. Figure out how to help yourself. If you absolutely can't help yourself in any way, summon help to your location.

The part I put in bold is the part some people are skipping.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I keep wondering if the outcome would have been different if Meredith Emmerson had had one.
    Probably not, but ty for bringing up a morbid subject. The point here is that she would have a very legitimate reason for activating the device. This hiker did not. He chose to forgo logic, reason and common sense and instead rely solely on other people, their time,and money to "save" him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post

Probably not. Unless she had one heavy enough to knock him unconscious with.
    If she activated it and he didn't know it was on, the S&R party might have arrived in time to stop the murder. She was alive for three days after being abducted.

But its purpose is not for crime, but for people who become injured.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Some of my friends and co-workers have forwarded me information about SPOT and asked me if I had considered this. My answer is always no. When they try to argue that it would come in handy in an emergency, I agree. Then I tell them that I get out in the woods to GET AWAY. If I have an emergency, I will work it out the best I can. I guess if it is really bad, and I don't make it. I JUST DON'T MAKE IT.

The chances of that happening to me aren't very likely. More likely I'll get killed in a car accident driving the 8 or so hours it might take me to get to the AT. But I'm PREPARED to go.

If someone wants to take along the SPOT in case of an emergency, OK by me. But don't be pressing that button unless it is a life or death emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    It would solve the problem.

Right now the guys doing the rescuing are either doing if for free or the state is paying for it. If the rescuers are getting $100/hr on the idiots dime, they probably don't mind going out for a hike as much as if they were doing it for free. And the taxpayers don't mind the S&R if they ain't funding it.

Plus once news gets out that hitting the panic button costs ya a couple of grand, folks are gonna only hit the panic button in life or death situations.
    Unfortunately being wealthy does not always equate to being intelligent. $2,000, although a lot to some is just pocket change for others.

Images

I'm not sure what its like everywhere in this country, but, I have a few friends in SAR. They do it because they want to. They volunteer their time. Why? Because they like doing it. I'm sure once overuse of a spot device gets abused that attitudes will change. But the few guys I know who go out for free, love it. And if its like that up and down the AT except for NH, whats the problem?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++