WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Appalachian Trl. an 'amazing opportunity' for witness - BP News

Appalachian Trl. an 'amazing opportunity' for witness
    BP News
    But if that person is an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, you'll have to walk several hundred miles. "It's not until about mile 500 that they start to listen," ...

More...

I read the article and noted that Jonathan Carter was mentioned as one of the "Chaplains" in 2005. I met him during my section hike of Maine - in fact, we spent several nights together and summited the same day. His trail name was Vapor and he's on TrailJournals.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

He recalled a sudden evening thunderstorm that drove him, Suzy and a group of fellow hikers into the closest trail shelter for protection against a cold, stinging rain.

"Since the next shelter was 10 miles away and none of us wanted to brave the cold rain to get there, we stopped and shared the same shelter for the night. This gave us an opportunity to strike up some spiritual conversation," he said. "This was a divine appointment."
    Great. A captive audience.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

"In addition to the obvious physical and mental challenges, other hazards include severe weather, Lyme disease, steep grades, limited water and poison ivy. . ."

. . .not to mention proselytizers.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I heard somewhere along the A.T. you are walking atop some of the oldest rocks on the planet. I guess that would make them about 6000 year old.

I heard there was some guy near Springer that needed saving recently. Maybe they should have gone there.

Images

Sounds about right

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    I heard somewhere along the A.T. you are walking atop some of the oldest rocks on the planet. I guess that would make them about 6000 year old.
    On a hike a few years back, I saw this USFS sign saying that the valley below was formed 60 million years ago....

A hiker apparently disagreed and made the sign "Biblically Correct"

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Let me just say my peace and I'll be done. Why hikers? Why do they choose to bother people on their vacation? People have every right to believe whatever they want. When that "whatever" tells you to go out aggressively pushing your beliefs on others when it is unsolicited and unwanted is wrong. Those people seeking God or a more spiritual path will find it. Few if any will be convinced in talking snakes by some roadside vendor trying to sell God. If you want to do trail magic do trail magic. If you don't then don't. Just don't come with an agenda. With that said, I have seen trail magic done by religious groups in a manner that was not pushy or overbearing. Simply dogs and sodas or what have you with pocket bibles at the end of the table if anyone cared to take one. If a hiker did have questions I'm sure there was someone willing to talk with them. The showers at the Baptist church at trail days much the same. If I do happen to come across this type of magic I'll say something like, "I'm not looking to get saved today. I hope that's OK." By the reaction you can tell if you should partake or not. They will always say it's perfectly fine of course. The key is in the smile. Look closely. Is it a genuine smile coming from a good person who just has different beliefs than you or is it one of those fake timeshare salesman type smiles you see indicating this person is out trying to convince anybody who will listen to adopt his same belief system. I believe what I believe and others are free to do the same. Personally I would have to side with many of our founding fathers.
    "Lighthouses are more useful than churches" Ben Franklin
    "This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it" John Adams
    "Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" Thomas Jefferson

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I love quotes taken out of context.

This is a paraphrase:

"This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it" John Adams

of this:

Twenty times, in the course of my late reading, have I been on the point of breaking out, 'this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it!!!!' But in this exclamation, I should have been as fanatical as Bryant or Cleverly. Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in public company—I mean hell.

This is a paraphrase:

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man" Thomas Jefferson

of this:

"...those who live by mystery & charlatanerie, fearing you would render them useless by simplifying the Christian philosophy, the most sublime & benevolent, but most perverted system that ever shone on man, endeavored to crush your well earnt, & well deserved fame." - Thomas Jefferson to Joseph Priestley, Washington, 21 March 1801

Well said.

I am somewhat ambivalent when it comes to missionary work on hiking trails.

On one hand, people should be given their privacy, and it seems rather contemptuous to presume that we can compete with nature when sending a message from the Almighty.

On the other hand, some of these hiking trails, like the AT in particular, are somewhat more like the pilgrimages in Europe than a true wilderness hike. You meet alot of people, just like in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Some of them will be preachers or witnesses. Some of them will be very good at it, and some, not so good.

It's all part of the hazards and experience of the trail.

I would gladly have stood in the rain to listen to this fellow, and watch him run...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHT_n...eature=related

2010 complete

As far as a timeline, rocks can be 6 million yrs old when created. Man was not created as a baby. His body was aged on day one of his creation.

I wonder how the holy rollers would feel if there were people preaching about atheism or agnosticism on the trail. Picture it. Joe Jesus happy as a clam. Out getting closer to nature and building his personal relationship with God. Comes upon a road with a dozen people with a table set up with some good food and drink. Hiker says, "Thank you God. I could really use a soda". "Don't thank God, you would be better off thanking that rock over there as God does not exist". "excuse me?" "Let's face it. Pretty much every religion that has ever existed has a long history of bloodshed and violence. It is simply a tool for the few to control the many. A way for powerful men to maintain that power over the masses." "I'm sorry but all the answers I am looking for are in the bible". "You mean that work of fiction written by over 400 different men, most of whom were in positions of power? You mean a book that is open to as many interpretations as there are people who read it? You mean the old test. with fairy tales about talking snakes....." Sir I am sorry but I am out hiking trying to enjoy the day and my time with God and I do not appreciate being accosted like this." "I'm sorry. That certainly is not our intent. We all simply have the same calling. That is to share the good word with all those we meet. God does not exist." You are still welcome to a soda and I just hope you'll think about what we've talked about today."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlaze View Post

Appalachian Trl. an 'amazing opportunity' for witness
    BP News
    But if that person is an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, you'll have to walk several hundred miles. "It's not until about mile 500 that they start to listen," ...

More...
    good for them. keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    As far as a timeline, rocks can be 6 million yrs old when created. Man was not created as a baby. His body was aged on day one of his creation.
    LOL. So the earth is 6000 years old, created by God by using 60 million year old rocks. Um does anybody else see a flaw in this logic?

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    On one hand, people should be given their privacy, and it seems rather contemptuous to presume that we can compete with nature when sending a message from the Almighty.

will you elaborate on this a bit more.

2010 complete

LOL. So the earth is 6000 years old, created by God by using 60 million year old rocks. Um does anybody else see a flaw in this logic?
    God doesn't have to conform to man's limitations. He can place stars in the sky in process, and not at the birth of a star.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It makes sense in a left-handed kind of way.

I *think* it's saying that rocks have a 60 million year gestational period and were actually "born" 6 thousand years ago.

Images

I see no reason for animosity toward these people. They're just trying to live up to what they view as their purpose in life.

I've never met a proslytizer that wouldn't stop when I made it clear that I wasn't interested. "Look, I appreciate your passion. I am also passionate in my faith, but I feel that it is a personal thing between me and God and am not interested in debating or discussing in it. How 'bout them Braves?

Walking away works too, and even telling people to shut up if they don't stop. there's nothing wrong with being rude in return for disrespect of your views. Some would say "I shouldn't have to." That's not the case in the real world, the same goes for anyone who won't **** about their passion, whether it be gear or sports or politics or religion.

Mag's example of defacing the sign is disgraceful. The person who did that showed their hypocricy by using destruction to "spread the word."

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++