WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Mike Hanson- Blind Hiker Update

My tr name is Fibro and I live close to Neels Gap, in Ga. 1st let me say if this posting is a duplicate, please forgive me as I wrote one earlier and I can't find it on the forum. I have been reading the forum for a long time, but have never posted.
    I read about Mike a couple of months ago and e-mailed him and told him I would help him in any way possible while he hikes through Ga. I picked him up @ the Atlanta Airport last Wed nite and we advised him to wait until Sat to start Springer due to ice/snow. He did start Sat am and the ice/snow was still very bad ,but he was dying to start. I could not make it to Springer in my vehicle as F.S. 42 was covered in ice/snow. Josh @ Hikers Hostel (great guy) finally made it with Mike in his vehicle.
    Mike only fell one time coming down Springer on the ice and has not fallen since! And yes, he is totally blind and has been from birth! He can tell if the the sun is shinning and that's it. He is leading the way down the trail just using his poles and it's incredible! I parked @ Hightower Gap Monday am and hiked south to meet up with he and Gary. I then hiked north with them and we spent the night around Hawk Mtn shelter. I picked them up around 3:30pm yesterday (wed) @ Woody Gap and carried them to Hiker's Hostel where they spent the night. They hit the trail again today around 8:30 in the pouring rain for the second day. They plan to make it to Wood's Hole shelter tonight and spend the night @ the Hostel @ Mtn Crossings tomorrow night @ Woody Gap.
    I had my gps while hiking with them and he can easily average 1.5 mph. Most people that have met him on the trail DO NOT know he is blind as he just 'lowers his head and walks with his poles. It's the most amazing thing I have ever seen! I have a good friend that is blind so I know what they can do, but this guy has blown me away!
    Gary the camera guy is having a little trouble with his ankles, but I think he will be ok.
    Just wanted to give you guys an update. We all need to get behind this guy!!
    If he can stay healthy I really believe he can make it. Before hiking with him I must say I had all the doubts all you guys have, but no longer.

Happy trails,
    Fibro

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Amazing. I wonder if he will do any hiking at night, perhaps not so much because of the camera guy. There was an auto mechanic in town here that was totally blind, had no trouble taking stuff apart and fixing them and putting them back together. Used to work in his garage at night in the dark, but I think it freaked the neighbours out so he got into the habit of putting the light on to let them know he was working.

I hope this fellow rights a book. I look forward to the documentary.

Thanks for the update Fibro. Inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Amazing. I wonder if he will do any hiking at night, perhaps not so much because of the camera guy. There was an auto mechanic in town here that was totally blind, had no trouble taking stuff apart and fixing them and putting them back together. Used to work in his garage at night in the dark, but I think it freaked the neighbours out so he got into the habit of putting the light on to let them know he was working.

I hope this fellow rights a book. I look forward to the documentary.

Thanks for the update Fibro. Inspiring.
    Heck half the time I can't see what I am doing working on my car because they put something in the way. Seems like it is a job that would work out well for a blind person.

I learned to field strip my rifle blindfolded, not that I was any good at it. I hike with just a candle lantern for camp. I've gotten stuck a few times on the trail after sunset, just this past weekend actually. I was surprised how well white blazes can still show up. The footing was pretty sketchy. Pales in comparison to what this fellow is doing. I feel both greatful for my sight, and inspired to do more with it, but at the same time somewhat envious of this fellow for experiencing something I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_...eature=related

Default Mike again

They made Gooch Shelter the other night after dark and Mike said what the heck not a problem for me I stay in the dark.
    One thing I meant to add to my post was:
    Mike is an attorney and has 2 graduate degrees. He passed the Mn Bar on his first attempt. but he is UNEMPLOYED! He has never found a firm that will hire him as they don't think he can do anything due to his blindness! He may not like me telling this , but he has been working in telemarketing!! THAT is what this hike is about! He wants to show just what the blind can accomplish!
    People have mentioned why does he need funding. Well, this is why, plus it's going to cost a lot to do the documentary that they will use to prove the point!
    Sure, a few others who are blind have done the trail, but this will be the first time it has been documented on film where the multitudes can see it.
    My doubts were very strong and I purposely waited until he got this far to post this on the forum. I wanted to see for myself just what he could do and what his chances are before wasting everybody's time with my posting.
    He's the real deal!!!!
    web site:
    hansonatcampaign.com

Fibro

Quote Originally Posted by Fibro View Post
    Mike is an attorney and has 2 graduate degrees. He passed the Mn Bar on his first attempt. but he is UNEMPLOYED! He has never found a firm that will hire him as they don't think he can do anything due to his blindness!
    Talk about your all time irony. Couldn't he just sue them for discrimination? He is an attorney.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

I tracked down this you tube presentation...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HansonATCamp

Seems like a really cool guy.
    Don't believe everything he says though. He is a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    Talk about your all time irony. Couldn't he just sue them for discrimination? He is an attorney.
    Unless the firm was so stupid to say, "we ain't hiring you cause you are blind" it would be a hard case to prove. Lots of people apply for a job and don't get hired because the other guy was "a better match." Any firm that couldn't beat that rap would be pretty stupid.

Sueing for wrongful dismisal is a lot easier than suing for not being hired.

Unless you can show an obvious pattern. Such as the place has 100 employees, half of the applicants have been black, but the firm is still all white. One blind not getting hired is not a pattern.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

JAK, I don't think he is completely without vision. It might be comparatively harder for him to hike at night than someone with perfect vision, I dunno. Interesting to consider. I have been checking his journal but he hasn't updated it since the 1st.

Oh, never mind, I see Fibro says he is pretty much completely without vision. I can tell if the sun is up with my eyes closed.

I, for one, am very happy he could get the funding to start his hike. He had some trouble in prior years putting it all together, but he got in with the right people to help him approach his sponsors and now he's actually doing it. Good for him.

Here are a couple of his websites with additional links to read more...

http://blindhiker.com/
    http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I, for one, am very happy he could get the funding to start his hike. He had some trouble in prior years putting it all together, but he got in with the right people to help him approach his sponsors and now he's actually doing it. Good for him.

Here are a couple of his websites with additional links to read more...

http://blindhiker.com/
    http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/
    Thanks for posting these. Going to try and catch him when he comes through our neck of tha woods

The descent off of Blood is sched for tomorrow. If he can manage that unassisted (except GPS) he will have passed a MAJOR test.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    The descent off of Blood is sched for tomorrow. If he can manage that unassisted (except GPS) he will have passed a MAJOR test.
    is there snow up there?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Agreed. hope he does well

Default Mike Update

Just wanted to let everybody know Mike made it down Blood Mtn and arrived @ Mountain Crossings Store around 3pm today in very heavy rainfall to the cheers of many.It was slow for him, but he did not fall a single time although it took him around 4 hrs. He said it's still some ice on one side of Blood. I think they are going to do a zero day tomorrow (Sat.)
    Fibro

If he has absolutely zero vision, in the summer it might make sense for him to hike at night (when it is cool) and sleep during the day.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    If he has absolutely zero vision, in the summer it might make sense for him to hike at night (when it is cool) and sleep during the day.
    True, but it would make for a very odd documentary.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    True, but it would make for a very odd documentary.....
    Surely there is video equipment mated to night vision devices. Might be a bit green , though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++