WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This is very inspiring!! Thanks for all the info; I hope he updates soon. I'm going to check out his blog.
    mini-m.

saw him in damascus thursday

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I, for one, am very happy he could get the funding to start his hike. He had some trouble in prior years putting it all together, but he got in with the right people to help him approach his sponsors and now he's actually doing it. Good for him.

Here are a couple of his websites with additional links to read more...

http://blindhiker.com/
    http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/
    These haven't been updated in quite a few weeks. Any word on where Mike is currently?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    These haven't been updated in quite a few weeks. Any word on where Mike is currently?
    Apparently he isn't making many friends...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=304623

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Apparently he isn't making many friends...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=304623
    Well, everyone gets cranky now and then so...shrug. I didn't see anything in that TJ about him making or not making friends.

What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted... Not that that takes away from his huge accomplishment, just I'd thought he was saying he was doing this unassisted is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch
    What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted...
    On his blog he says it is because of the snow and ice, but there were plenty of other people who didn't skip it. I mean the guy is from Minnesota and he claims to do all kinds of outdoor activities so you would figure he should be acquainted with snow and ice. I just wonder if he is actually being true to his claim of only using the GPS and pole?

From other journals, by the time he would have gotten to Fontana all but an area around Clingman's would have been just fine with regards to snow, if that.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    Well, everyone gets cranky now and then so...shrug. I didn't see anything in that TJ about him making or not making friends.
    My comment here was not just about what he was said in the TJ, although it was implied that others agreed with the author that he was 'cranky'. My comment was also regarding what is missing. I couldn't find any one else referring to him or hanging with him, like so many other journal types comment on 'oh we met up with so and so in town or at this feed', etc. Nothing, but perhaps he has befriended some non-journaling types. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch
    What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted... Not that that takes away from his huge accomplishment, just I'd thought he was saying he was doing this unassisted is all.
    He never said he would hike completely unassisted. He posted a year or two ago, that he would welcome assistance in fact, but would likely not have that assistance every step of the way. He never was totally clear what that meant or what role the videographer would have, so we don't know. I do know he put it out there what he was doing, but leaving us hanging on his progress and the details might be frustrating to some. Perhaps he is just hyoh and observers from the peanut gallery just need to be patient. Maybe he wants us to wait for the film to come out. Let him hike and we will get the details when he sees fit.

I hiked both in front of Mike and Gary this year and I believe the man has guts. Gary is awsome also anyone that can put up with following a man around day in and day out that way deserves respect. I am currently off trail due to divorce hearings but will return shortly.
    Never underestimate a woman unless it is her weight or age!!

From what I hear, is he really hiking unassisted? It sounds like his camera man is helping him, regardless of what they say, I find it hard to believe that a GPS is accurate enough for him to be able to always stay on the trail.

We first met him right after Bland and then at Woodshole Hostel in Pearisburg last Monday.

Images

I hiked through his camp in the Crawfish Valley btw Atkins/I-81 and Hwy 42. He
    and Gary were doing fine...

Looks like he arrived Harpers Ferry Jun 4th. Leaving tomorrow.
    (see blog http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/ )

Default I Dripped Veggie Burrito Juice on My Favorite Tye-Dye T-Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    saw him in damascus thursday
    ...........sort of ironic isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    ...........sort of ironic isn't it?
    what?............

what?............
    Acts.. fifth book in the new testament if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawker View Post
    Acts.. fifth book in the new testament if I recall.
    oh. OK. i'm bible illiterate. but open to learning

A blind man whacked my shin with his cane today.

oh. OK. i'm bible illiterate. but open to learning
    Not to twist this thread into a religious discussion but I'll explain the meaning of Spoke's clever remark :P

From what I remember anyway, Saul (AKA Paul) was travelling to Damascus to persecute the Christians and he is blinded by Jesus, spends three days in Damascus and converts when a disciple restores his sight and he becomes an evangelist travelling all over spreading the good word.

And although I am not really a religious person.. I read constantly, including religious texts among other thigns. Odd that my first 3 posts on WB are related to religion

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++