WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default yeti uq or neoair

I'm fine tuning my hammock setup in anticipation of my upcoming hike and am trying to decide whether to get a yeti underquilt for my WBBB or take my regular length neoair.

The yeti weighs less and will work better with the hammock, but if I have to go to ground with my tarp or wind up in a shelter I wouldn't have a pad.

What would you do?

Images

I have the Large NeoAir, I will be using a tent, Wonder how the NeoAir would be without the square footage stabilizing the footprint of the mattress?
    Interesting. Have you tried it in the hammock?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have the Large NeoAir, I will be using a tent, Wonder how the NeoAir would be without the square footage stabilizing the footprint of the mattress?
    Interesting. Have you tried it in the hammock?
    Not yet, but I'm planning on it. If I do take the neoair I'll probably get one of those SPE's that Speer sells which will take care of the sliding around problem.

The downside is that all these things start adding up weight wise..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Not yet, but I'm planning on it. If I do take the neoair I'll probably get one of those SPE's that Speer sells which will take care of the sliding around problem.

The downside is that all these things start adding up weight wise..
    Exactly,
    I started thinking about a cheap foam pad for under the NeoAir for insulation and protection, But add the extra weight and I could have just bought a Thermarest Luxury Map and had comfort and durability.
    Decided to just get the repair kit for the NeoAir and I could always put spare clothing under the mattress for insulation.

If you have a 1/2 or 2/3 underquilt, you'll need a torso-sized CCF pad (or similar) for your legs. You can also use that CCF as a sit pad for wet logs, windscreen for your stove, frame for your pack, etc. And if you ever have to sleep on the ground for some reason, you have at least a torso CCF pad and can put your pack under your legs.

But several folks have hammocked the entire AT. You can even hang hammocks in some shelters if you're careful about it. And polite to the other folks in there, but you're actually opening up space b/c you can store your stuff under you and free up the area beside you.

Carry a piece of 3/8" blue foam cut to the height of your backpack and length of your torso (shoulders to hips). Let it line your pack (further protecting your belongings) and stuff your gear into it. It takes up very little space and can function as a sit pad or "doormat" of sorts when you get into and out of your hammock in bare or stocking feet. Make sure you keep something on it when using it as a mat or it might blow away. A ti skewer stake can also do the job. Spray it with Permethrin to keep ticks and spiders off.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Get the UQ and take the pad, and don't get the SPE. First, the SPE does nothing for sliding around, except maybe to help it slide more (since its a sil sleeve). Plus, the Neo Air has kind of a tacky exterior, right? You could go with it by itself, except being an air pad I still think you need a little insulation. Plus the Neo Air is pretty minimal for taking extra gear. The price you pay for making sure you're warm and cozy in the hammock is worth it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

The SPE is spandex on the back and DWR on top...it's not sil. And since it has wings, it does help with the sliding. Have you ever used one? It's a pretty good setup if you're a pad user.

And the medium sized neo air (72"x20") is 14 oz...some people consider that minimal, others don't. Just gotta find what fits your style. FWIW, a 3 season yeti by Warbonnet is 11.5 oz and a full-length JRB Stealth is 15 oz.

Images

Make a pocket pad if you are interested in a pad. Mine weighs about 11.2 ounces and keeps me warm down into the 20s easy. You can slide another pad inside it if you want even more insulation and it doesn't slide around at all - which can be a little bit of an issue if you don't have it set in the right place before you get in LOL.
    http://hikinghq.net/gear/pocket_pad.html
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

The trouble with strapping a ccf pad to the top of a catalyst is that you can't use a pack cover. Not that I've ever used one, but I picked one up thinking it would be a handy item to have in the sure-to-be rain I'll be hiking in. I can pack a neoair or uq inside the pack.

I'm going to haul the hammock down to the state park and try some different options and decide from there I guess.

In other news, I did pick up a used Speer Winter Tarp to replace my 10x12 Equinox. Saves a few oz's and I like the way you can close up the ends.

Images

I strap my pad to the outside of my Conduit pack. To the back, vertically. The pack cover fits.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I strap my pad to the outside of my Conduit pack. To the back, vertically. The pack cover fits.

Did you add the straps? The catalyst has a strap running from the front of the pack, over the top and a buckle on the back. I can't see how you'd strap something vertically on a catalyst.

Images

Under the bungee. I'll try and get a picture up.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Here are the pictures...

The pack without a pad:

With a Conduit you would have to add some 1/16" bungie, but it would be easie to make a figure 8 using the two bottom straps for poles and the side compression straps.

Here is the pack with the pad in place:

Here is the pack with the cover over the whole works:
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

I just looked at the NeoAir specs. The regular is going to be narrow for hammock camping.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I just looked at the NeoAir specs. The regular is going to be narrow for hammock camping.
    Thanks for the pics!

I was toying with the idea of getting (or making) a SPE to use with the neoair. The extra width would probably make it all work.

Every idea adds more weight unfortunately.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I agree. If you're really serious about hammocking, then I'd strongly suggest going the UQ route. The only time you'll really have an issue is when you're above treeline (or in the desert), and in most cases you'll know ahead of time that there won't be trees around.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The neoair is narrow - I'm a narrow person and I noticed it! Didn't bother me though. I am loving the comfort of it so far. Have not thrown it in the hammock yet (JRB bridge so it has a pad pocket) since I just bought the pad last night! I might start off with the neo and an underquilt... I sleep cold... then play around it with the quilt while hiking and if I feel comfortable I'll send it home for the summer until I hit the Whites. I definitely want a pad as an option for sleeping in shelters and in the huts in the Whites. It's too bad it's not more durable, but man, is it ever cushy. I modded my hammock and am keeping my pack weight relatively low so I am gonna suck it up and have both.

Images

Trust me. You may be narrow, but even then you are going to want about 24" in a hammock pad because of the way things curl up.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++