WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Cooker:

I met these folks briefly when they passed thru Neel Gap.

Nice folks and obviously having a good time.

If I'd have known about their not having a tent I'd have certainly said something about it.

Thing to remember is that these folks are brand new to the Trail, and new folks make mistakes. Everyone does. Some of the folks ripping on these guys might want to remember this.

Funny thing......the meanest comments here are almost always made by folks sitting at home in their pajamas. Most of these folks have never thru-hiked and never will. Say what you will about these kids......at least they're out here hiking guys and not just cyber strolling.

I wish them well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Thing to remember is that these folks are brand new to the Trail, and new folks make mistakes. Everyone does. Some of the folks ripping on these guys might want to remember this.
    Agreed. No one is perfect. They for sure should be carrying a shelter... hopefully they learn to carry one from this experience. Even if it's just a small tarp.

I wish them well.
    As do I. I learned a lot from hiking the AT, I think most people do. I'm sure if these guys stick with it they will as well. It just takes time and experiences.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    Just in case this bit of cyber literature is your only contact with folks of this age that "are products of our sick society", let me offer up that my experience with young men and woman in the Army from this same age group leads me to believe our society has produced some first class people.
    The Army is just a cross section of society, there are both saints and douchbags. Some folks I was in with I trust completely, but others make the shadiest used car salesman seem honest.

Images

Funny thing......the meanest comments here are almost always made by folks sitting at home in their pajamas. Most of these folks have never thru-hiked and never will.
    Like Lone Wolf, Max Patch and Sleepy?

Any "mean" comments here have 100% been earned by this twit and her condescending, self-entitled comments about men, other hikers and southerners. Ya reap what ya sow.

Nuthatch:

Insulting people from hundreds of miles away, anonymously, does little credit to the person making the comments. Wold you talk like this to these people's faces?

I kinda doubt it.

In truth, these people are coming off better than their detractors.

Plus, they're out hiking right now, instead of happily insulting strangers on-line.

Which in my book, immediately puts them ahead of their critics.

Images

Nuthatch:

Insulting people from hundreds of miles away, anonymously, does little credit to the person making the comments. Wold you talk like this to these people's faces?

I kinda doubt it.

Plus, they're out hiking right now, instead of happily insulting strangers on-line.

Nuthatch:

I kinda doubt it.

your girl emily is insulting folks hundreds of miles away from her.

Images

Honestly, the level of negativity here, especially from folks who've never thru-hiked and never will is staggering.
    last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

I didn't know one had to be a thru hiker to qualify to post here

These folks have a right to enjoy the trail as much as any of us. We have the right to publicly express our opinions about their hike since they are publicly blogging about their hike.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

If yo feel that strongly about the need to insult complete strangers, Egads, you should do it face to face.

But we both know that isn't too likely.

Images

Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell
    Please refrain from altering quotes. You can deliver your point in other ways. There, fixed that for you.
    Last edited by ed bell; 03-20-2010 at 16:52. Reason: Making a point

Um, deliberately altering or re-writing quotes from other posters is really uncool.

Any moderators out there?

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    I suppose you think you're being clever and funny.

In truth, you're immature and irresponsible

Images

If yo feel that strongly about the need to insult complete strangers, Egads, you should do it face to face.

Your statement proves you didn't read my posts, you're here for an argument
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Um, deliberately altering or re-writing quotes from other posters is really uncool.
    Then get it right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Your statement proves you didn't read my posts, you're here for an argument
    Actually, it sounds like he's breaking rules #2 & #13. He wants a moderator. For what, to get himself banned?

Rule #2, arguably broken he he accused other posters for posting in their pajamas and insulting them by saying they may never be a thru hiker:
    Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain respectful of the person they disagree with.

Rule #13, again, arguably broken when he mentions a face-to-face confrontation:
    Threats are absolutely unacceptable. Anyone posting a message that contains a threat to another person or their property will immediately be moved into moderated status. The posting, and all other posts made by the offender in that thread will be deleted. Please be aware that moderators can not determine when a threat is made in jest. Neither can many users; so simply do not make them. If there is a second offense it will terminate the offender's participation on WhiteBlaze. All posts, pictures, or contributions of any sort will be deleted

So you really want a moderator to step in?

Moderator here...

First, I'm going to ask that people take their personal arguments to PM.

Second, stay on topic. People are allowed to disagree. Do it respectably and we should be fine.

Do these two things and all will be right with the world. Will let the thread stand as written for now.
    Last edited by Ender; 03-20-2010 at 14:46.

No one was threatening anyone, so please don't put words in my mouth.

I merely stated that people will say things on an Internet forum that they would never dare come out with if they had to say these things to an actual person's face.

But distance and anonymity miraculously provides instant fortitude to some folks.

Pretty pathetic.

No names necessary, you know who you are.

Default time to grow a pair....

As to the hikers being discussed, yes they are doing some things that a person who has thru hiked the trail probably wouldn't, or hopefully wouldn't do. I have seen a female hiker sans tent in the snow covered Smokies invite herself into a guy's 2-person tent but there was some discussion involved, she just didn't say "move over, you've got company" and we don't know if this was the case here or not. Time will tell if she has learned anything from these experiences and the feedback she's getting from all the 'experts'. One of the biggest problems with thru hikers, as others have pointed out, is they forget some of the faux pas they committed when the first set foot on the trail.

Let's give them a little more time and not rush to judgement.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-20-2010 at 19:26. Reason: Keep personal remarks to PMing. :)

Journal Entries
    Images

Egads happens to be a pretty accomplished hiker in my book. I've shared a campfire or two with him, very nice guy indeed. He also has as much right to say whatever he wishes within the rules here about these egotistical, narcissistic, precocious, overeducated folks out there hiking. As much right as you do to say they are fine people Jack. Come on folks, when she states on her website something to the effect of "Can I make it to Katadhin, of course I can because I am a lawyer" Makes me want to puke!

One more time, take the personal arguments to PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++