WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Taste Of Thai

Default Taste Of Thai

I was wondering if anyone has used this..?? I tested out a box last night on my mini trangia alcohol stove. Taste of Thai Coconut-Ginger Rice..From start to finish, i.e. moment of lighting the stove to momoent of eating was 20 minutes total..AND still had 1 oz of fuel left over..I think this was an awsome treat. And a test...

Try these out..They have different ones and to me, a lot taster then ramon every day..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

My daughter loves these. Personally, I can't stand Thai food. Don't like Cajun either. I've tried, but I just don't like the combination of spices in each.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use them often. There's many flavors, and I add a variety of dried veggies (peas, brocolli, carrots, etc.) and a protein (can or pouch of chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc. ) to make a wide variety of meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I use them often. There's many flavors, and I add a variety of dried veggies (peas, brocolli, carrots, etc.) and a protein (can or pouch of chicken, tuna, shrimp, etc. ) to make a wide variety of meals.
    That is a great idea...I usually carry the pouches with me. That would make a great combo with the jasmine Rice..emmmmmmmm...
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

They have a huge number of calories too, which is a good thing on the Trail. Read the labels, you'd be surprised!

Images

I never tried them in the field, but I love their Pad Thai and their Spicey Peanut. I just wish the portions were larger for the price....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Forgot to mention I'll use fresh veggies if I have 'em. Otherwise, I use dried veggies from Harmony House (don't forget the onions and mushrooms!). I let the veggies soak while I'm setting up or reading, and leave them in the pot while heating the water for noodles. Once it's to a boil, I add the noodles, sauce and meat, and let it sit in a cozy for a while.

Images

Yes, I use them often. I like the noodles with peanut sauce one the best. I just discard the box (which is used if you have a microwave) and place everything in a ziplock bag. It takes 10 -12 minues start to finish on my stove. Wal-Mart and Meijer (if you are in the Midwest) has the best prices at around $2.50 each

Has anyone FBC'd these? I've been eating them at my desk for lunch. Is the portion size big enough/comparable to a lipton side?

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Has anyone FBC'd these? I've been eating them at my desk for lunch. Is the portion size big enough/comparable to a lipton side?
    A number of them work well FBC - just read the directions - if it calls for pan frying it won't but if it is a boiling one it often will.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has used this..?? I tested out a box last night on my mini trangia alcohol stove. Taste of Thai Coconut-Ginger Rice..From start to finish, i.e. moment of lighting the stove to momoent of eating was 20 minutes total..AND still had 1 oz of fuel left over..I think this was an awsome treat. And a test...

Try these out..They have different ones and to me, a lot taster then ramon every day..

Graywolf
    I have a recipe on my site that uses the Coconut Ginger soup mix, rice and chicken. The Taste of Thai packages are really good. You can do alot with them.

Although I do eat these things at home, I have never tried them in the field. I love the spicy red chili one! I will have to cook one tonight on the alcohol stove and test it out.

You'll be surprised. They work pretty well.

Yes I like Thai food so much. It's very tasty, spicy and healthy.

++ New Posts ++