WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Smokies are open (never officially closed), although many of the roads around the park have been closed due to snow and rock slides over the past month. That may be some of the source of the rumors flying around.

Snow conditions in the park.... No snow until you get to approximately 5000 ft elevation. Snow is currently at Rocky Top/Thunderhead (about 2 ft) and from Double Spring Shelter to TriCorner Shelter (up to 3 ft). The snow is melting fast with all the warm weather and rain. Most of it should be melted by next week, except in places that are well shaded.

I-40 - Hot Springs has no snow. I was in that area doing trail maintenance this past week. Snowbird, Max Patch, and Walnut Mtn (the 3 highest peaks in that section) are all clear of snow. There are a LOT of blowdowns in that area though. Some of the worst Ive seen in the southern sections Ive been on. I-40 to Snowbird has over 100 large trees down. I talked to southbound hikers that stated it was like that all the way to Hot Springs. I havent walked that section to confirm, but wouldnt be suprised.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

I do know that a Ranger in The Smokies did tell a group of Spring Breakers that they were not allowing them to hike in the upper elevations when we were at Fontana a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    Do they actually post a ranger at Baxter to make sure no one enters when conditions are dangerous?
    I was figuring that they use the same method as Mount Washington. When trails are closed, there are red signs stating that the trail is closed, but if you wanted to, you could hike it anyway.

If you're caught hiking on a closed trail though, you pay a pretty stiff fine, or maybe thrown into hiker's prison.

A
    you joke, but one WB member was kind enough to share the poem he drafted while in jail for his illegal hiking in Baxter........

Warren, care to share that again?

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    I do know that a Ranger in The Smokies did tell a group of Spring Breakers that they were not allowing them to hike in the upper elevations when we were at Fontana a couple of weeks ago.
    Chac- this is probably the ridgerunner? he has "advised" that several groups get to get to lower elevations for saftey reasons: heavy snow, low temps, cotton, no map, sneakers, etc. this may be the source of the rumors/

Images

I read this morning about a woman being rescued up in the Smokies yesterday. It was on Mt. LeConte, so not that AT but apparently up in the highest elevations weather is still pretty bad.

*Note: She had to be rescued due to injury.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Another good reason to avoid the Smokies at all costs. Do I need someone to tell me to turn around? Or to not go in? Crazy.

I just got back from a postholing nightmare and spent several days on my last trip struggling thru 40 inch snow and cursing almost every step. It's called "Winter Backpacking". Get used to it or become a fair-weather dayhiker type and pick and choose yourself out of a trip. Winter is almost over and so this rant is nearly obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger'02 View Post
    Chac- this is probably the ridgerunner? he has "advised" that several groups get to get to lower elevations for saftey reasons: heavy snow, low temps, cotton, no map, sneakers, etc. this may be the source of the rumors/
    Could have been. It was still pretty bad up there at the time. Lots of SBers up there that week.

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Another good reason to avoid the Smokies at all costs. Do I need someone to tell me to turn around? Or to not go in? Crazy.

I just got back from a postholing nightmare and spent several days on my last trip struggling thru 40 inch snow and cursing almost every step. It's called "Winter Backpacking". Get used to it or become a fair-weather dayhiker type and pick and choose yourself out of a trip. Winter is almost over and so this rant is nearly obsolete.
    -If you avoid the Smokies its your loss. The RR asked some folks to turn around because it was unsafe and they obviously didn't know it. They were also trying to get a ride from NFG and the road was closed. I'm not going to bait you into an argument, but you don't have to have an attitude. No one "TOLD" anyone to turn around. They "advised" people who could have really hurt themselves and others. You don't need anyone to tell you anything-great. Others need some instruction and help, and thats ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Digger'02 View Post
    -If you avoid the Smokies its your loss. The RR asked some folks to turn around because it was unsafe and they obviously didn't know it. They were also trying to get a ride from NFG and the road was closed. I'm not going to bait you into an argument, but you don't have to have an attitude. No one "TOLD" anyone to turn around. They "advised" people who could have really hurt themselves and others. You don't need anyone to tell you anything-great. Others need some instruction and help, and thats ok.
    Thing is, it's not just about "advising" people to turn around. It's about their obsession with keeping my old veteran backpacking dog out, and about their "Camp Only Here" nonsense. I go on long solo trips and who's gonna take care of my dog for 3 weeks? He's belongs out in the woods same as me.

The smokies are fully open!!! Go blaze the trail...
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

Can you dig it?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Thing is, it's not just about "advising" people to turn around. It's about their obsession with keeping my old veteran backpacking dog out, and about their "Camp Only Here" nonsense. I go on long solo trips and who's gonna take care of my dog for 3 weeks? He's belongs out in the woods same as me.
    Believe me, they are not obsessed with you or your dog. It should be pointed out that you are a model citizen in this case: instead of going to the park and breaking the rules, you avoid it. So thanks.

I wont beat this dead horse anymore, you know that they are trying their best to protect the park i am sure, you just don't agree with their methods. Thats your perogative. Happy trails to you and your pup

Journal Entries

I passed the injuried lady mentioned above on Sunday. She was coming down from the Lodge, slipped on ice and broke her ankle. We gave her space blankets etc to keep her warm while waiting for the park rangers to take her down on a litter. There was 14 inches of snow at Mt Leconte Lodge with numerous areas that were very icy. It appeared, from the copious run off on the Mtn, that the snow was melting fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++