WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

As usual, Garlic is quite correct.

I'll just encourage you to get in shape...

The hiking will be more enjoyable and you'll have less health problems in the long run!

One way to get in shape is to get in as many hikes and backpacks as you can between now and next March.
    Not only will it help to get you in shape, but it is fun and will help you iron out the kinks in your gear kit and hiking style BEFORE you start on a 5-7 month hike.

If you are in shape, have your kit and style dialed-in and have some prior backpacking experience, I think you will find the typical rough shake down period that many AT hikers have will be a bit smoother. They'll be taking lots of zeroes in town...you'll be having fun in the woods!

Good luck..and have a blast!
    Last edited by Mags; 03-27-2010 at 18:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have to question the wisdom of "cameling up".
    No doubts it "works" for some but I cannot see the point.
    And this is why.
    If , say, after breakfast I drink another 2 quarts of water so that I don't carry it in my water bottle, I end up carrying exactly the same weight in my stomach.
    Inevitably within the first hour or so I will need to pee and most if not all of that will have left me. So at this point I am lighter but I have no spare water.
    On the other hand, if I do have that water in a container, I can choose when and how much I will drink.
    To me the latter is more "comfortable".
    But this is just me...
    Franco

Images

[QUOTE=weary;994002]I've suddenly become an ultra-light convert. I was convinced against my judgment a month ago to have a heart pacemaker installed. So on a follow up visit with my cardiologist, I mentioned I was planning a four-day hike in Baxter Park in July.

His reply: "BTW way you can't carry a backpack any more." Hmmm. No one had mentioned that before the surgery. But I figure I can cheat a bit. If I keep the weight down, maybe the pacemaker nestled under my collar bone won't notice.
    Would suk to find out the hard way.

You should go look at a Mountainsmith lumbar pack with the suspenders if they still make them. Surprising amount of room.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    And this is why.
    If , say, after breakfast I drink another 2 quarts of water so that I don't carry it in my water bottle, I end up carrying exactly the same weight in my stomach.
    Inevitably within the first hour or so I will need to pee and most if not all of that will have left me. So at this point I am lighter but I have no spare water.
    On the other hand, if I do have that water in a container, I can choose when and how much I will drink.
    But this is just me...
    Franco
    It's a lot tougher for the water to work it's magic on your body when it isn't actually in your body. I guess thats why camels actually drink it and don't carry it in nalgenes.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Carrying water in your stomach instead of on your back (assuming that it's not so much water that you feel bloated) is also closer to your center of gravity. Of course, we're only talking about 3-4 cups of water. Most people are chronically under-hydrated, and even moreso if they're exerting themselves for hours on end.

Personally, I still carry more water than I usually need unless I'm absolutely positive about the next water source. You tend to get a little conservative once you've run out of water for a few hours on a warm humid day.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Are you hiking next spring with your husband? The effects of splitting up the gear are tremendous. I had to carry 30# only once, when we were out for an 8 day stint and I was still carrying winter gear. Other than that, by summer I probably was carrying about 22-23# out of town, and I'm not really the lightest packer by any means.

I've always read that the best way to hydrate is to sip water slowly and continuously throughout the day instead of gulping down a quart or two at one time every few hours. Or maybe different people's systems act differently. I don't know if I'd compare people to camels because...we're not camels...mammal physiology can vary and I don't know if what is good for a camel is good for a person. Or is it? Does anyone know?

Images

Getting it right is not a one time thing, as has been said before.

When I started out I was carrying about 45lbs and dieing on the trail. Not only from the weight, but from the discomfort of alot of my cheap gear. Leaking tent, stove flamed out, Poncho kept tearing, and the list goes on.

It was after a day of late October hiking in the rain in Mount Rogers, with failing rain gear, and sweating through my cotton clothes that I got hypothermia and had to have my hiking partner set up my tent for me. I was in bad shape, and was up most of the night when the condensation from my breathing started filling my tent with water and soaked my bag.

I actually swore off hiking after that night, and threw most of my gear away.

About a month later I decided it was not hiking that I despised, but hiking unprepared and with unproven equipment.

I was not worried about price or name brand when I started to reoutfit myself. I was concerned with the weight and the reputation of the gear.

Going light weight continues to be a eternal system of upgrades atleast in my case.

I have less than 4 original pieces of gear from that fateful night on Mount Rogers. All that remains:

Thermarest Prolite3
    Petzl Tikka Plus
    Trusty Sunto Compass.

That year and before my Pinhoti hike in 09 I spent thousands of dollars on gear, keeping what worked and selling, trading, or giving away the rest.

I've been through about 8 different Ti Pots of which I still have about 5

Tents, Tarps, TarpTents, Hammocks

Sleeping Bags, Top Quilts, Bottom Quilts, Bivys

I've gone through Osprey, Granite Gear, and finally settled on and bought most of the ULA pack line.

With all that said, know that I am a fanatic. I live for trail life, culture, friendship, and the sheer enjoyment of being on the AT. This is my escape from work, school, and city life. This is my motorcycle or sports car.

Like a certain member always says, it is only walking, atleast for the most part. People have walked the trail with 80lb packs. Tipi Walter comes to mind. People also have done it with 15lb total packs.

There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to weight. Hiking is just walking with some hills and water crossings and rock scrambles thrown in to make it interesting. Before taking weight into account. Think about Comfort, Function, and the Ratio of Weight to Cost. It is easy to make up lost ounces in less expensive items, than it is in regards to lighter big 4 items.

This has been a very expensive venture for myself. I have easily over 10k in gear, but I also get out and hike all the time, and I am always trying out new gear combinations and hiking methods. I've done big AT section hikes during the winter and summer vacations, I've done the Pinhoti, I've hiked most of the trails in the smokeys, and numerous local trails.

I take gear addiction/Ultralight addiction as being the harley davidson for hikers. People spend outrageous amounts of money on their hobbies or passions, because it is what they love.

If hiking the AT is going to be one grand adventure and then you don't plan on hiking alot afterwards, then don't spend a fortune on gear. Go with the best ratio of price to weight to function.

But if you plan on living the hiker lifestyle, then go ahead and think about getting some lighter gear, and maybe spending a little more upfront instead of trading in gear as you go.

People can easily be pretty down when they get to Mountain Crossings, and spend alot of cash at the outfitters to drop pack weight.

There is nothing wrong with a 80lb pack or a 15lb pack as long as you can support your own hike, and enjoy it.

If you need any help or advice feel free to send me a PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.
    You won't be carrying it day in and day out. You may start with 30 lbs but at the end of five days it'll be more like 19 or 20 lbs because you'll be eating food, burning stove fuel, etc. The consumables tend to get consumed.

I hadn't weighed my pack in a while but since I'm heading out tomorrow for five days and saw your post, I decided to put it on the scale. 28 lbs with lots of luxuries. Food is by far the heaviest category but I like to eat. Plenty of Winter clothes. I've got over a pound of "ground softener" in a soda bottle , heck I'm even bringing a hammock to lay around in during breaks and at camp.

Once you get your system nailed it's no big deal. Your first day out might feel heavy, but it doesn't last long.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Tilly
    Since you asked...
    Camels
    Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations. Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated state. These cells are also more stable[7] in order to withstand high osmotic variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of water (100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) to 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) in one drink).[8] Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish.[9]
    From Wiki.
    Franco

and
    Marathon runners are susceptible to water intoxication if they drink too much while running. This is caused when sodium levels drop below 135 mmol/L when athletes consume large amounts of fluid. This has been noted to be the result of the encouragement of excessive fluid replacement by various guidelines. This has largely been identified in marathon runners as a dilutional hyponatremia. Medical personnel at marathon events are trained to suspect water intoxication immediately when runners collapse or show signs of confusion.

Well said Franco.

Rather than loading up on water I am more apt to load up on oats, and drink water when while hiking as I get thirsty. I've never been a fan of the drink even if not thirsty rule.

and
    Don't drink all of the water you need per day all at once.
    Divide the amount you need and drink several glasses of water throughout the day.
    This is especially important if you engage in lots of heavy exercise

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    You won't be carrying it day in and day out. You may start with 30 lbs but at the end of five days it'll be more like 19 or 20 lbs because you'll be eating food, burning stove fuel, etc. The consumables tend to get consumed.

I hadn't weighed my pack in a while but since I'm heading out tomorrow for five days and saw your post, I decided to put it on the scale. 28 lbs with lots of luxuries. Food is by far the heaviest category but I like to eat. Plenty of Winter clothes. I've got over a pound of "ground softener" in a soda bottle , heck I'm even bringing a hammock to lay around in during breaks and at camp.

Once you get your system nailed it's no big deal. Your first day out might feel heavy, but it doesn't last long.
    Good point, and why it is a good idea to know base weight. So say I'm going out tomorrow to start thru-hiking and start with 5 days of food. My max pack weight at the start is 30.2 pounds. But my base for gear is 14.4 pounds. So if you figure that 16.2 pounds of my pack weight is consumables, well half of that is 8.1 pounds. So while I am hiking my average pack weight is somewhere around ~22.5 pounds. Add my carried stuff and my average FSO is ~28 pounds.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I try to be UL (or just lightweight at least), because of the effects on my body. Hiking 2178.3 miles with 15 lbs sounds better in the long run than doing it with 30+. It's a lot less impact and wear and tear on your body over the long run.

That said weight is all relevant. Using the pack i started my hike with 33 lbs would have been a burden to carry and incredibly uncomfortable. I switched to a different pack, and a lighter one at that, and even with 33 lbs it fits me like a glove and as long as it's packed properly almost feels like it isn't even there.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Tilly
    Since you asked...
    Camels
    Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations. Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated state. These cells are also more stable[7] in order to withstand high osmotic variation without rupturing when drinking large amounts of water (100 litres (22 imp gal; 26 US gal) to 150 litres (33 imp gal; 40 US gal) in one drink).[8] Oval red corpuscles are not found in any other mammal, but are present in reptiles, birds, and fish.[9]
    From Wiki.
    Franco
    Thanks, Franco! I guess 'cameling up' doesn't really work for people so great after all. That's what I thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gheparda View Post
    We guesstimated that we would carry around 30 lbs with food, but even at my healthiest and strongest that still seems like a daunting weight, day in and day out for nearly 6 months.

If you show up at Springer with 30 pound packs, you'll be 15-30 pounds lighter than most of the beginning thru-hikers that I've met in Georgia.

Skidsteer is right, your pack weight will vary over the course of each day, and drop as you eat your food.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

One of many great tips I have received on this site is to go more light weight. On our AT section, in 2007, before I found this site, I carried way too much and that was with experience. I suffered. Then the same year, I did the Grand Canyon and had to go lighter since I was eight weeks out from major abdominal surgery. I did it.
    this site helped me do it. At 21 lbs, including pack and a gallon (eight pounds) of water. What a difference it made and I fet fantastic. I will still have to modify my gear over time, but I am sold on it. I am so impressed by those who go so light without forking over a ton of money and I don't want to buy all new gear. Great links and thanks. I am still working on it. I use the postal meter at work to weigh stuff.

And this is why.
    But this is just me...
    Franco
    No, it's me, too.
    I tried that "Cameling up" stuff, and it was only worth it when I was already dehydrated.
    Peeing every 5 minutes for an hour isn't a good way to make time on the trail.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    If you show up at Springer with 30 pound packs, you'll be 15-30 pounds lighter than most of the beginning thru-hikers that I've met in Georgia.

Skidsteer is right, your pack weight will vary over the course of each day, and drop as you eat your food.
    I started my Georgia section hike with 36 lbs. in March 2006 with 6 days worth of food, a winter tent, and a 2.5 lb. 15 degree bag. My ul pack was a tad small so I had to use my old 5.5 lb. Gregory Shasta to get the volume I needed.
    I survived.
    I don't weigh my gear for each trip anymore. I know approx. what it weighs, the weather conditions I'm likely to encounter, and how much food I need per day, so I throw it in and go. No more gram counting. Less pressure to "measure up" (or down, when you're counting grams).
    It's a learning curve, and the ul thing, like anything else, can become a fun "club" or an elitist cult.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++