WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do you need a light weight, sturdy spoon and also like icecream?

Go get yourself a McDonald's Flurry. Keep the spoon. It's long, sturdy and weighs next to nothing (IMO).

Images

That is a decent long spoon, but it is small volume wise. I might starve trying to shovel with that runt thing.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I had one a few years ago. The handle is hollow with drain holes near the spoon. It was forever leaking on me. Didn't love it. The $3 spoorks at Walmart are better.

I'm leaning towards a cheap metal tablespoon with a shortened handle this year.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

i broke my lite my fire spork eating oatmeal last year snaped it into

yeah i hate that spork, broke two of mine. i like the wendy's spoons... like frosty's anyone?
    JRiker
    Patience and Positivity will keep you alive!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/bighatcreations

GA-ME 2011
    Images

MRE spoons work well.

I've seen video of mre spoons melting a little in boiling water and getting brittle.

I just bought a long ti spoon at REI. I considered the less expensive aluminum ones but I've burned my lips on aluminum cups and don't care to repeat the experience with a spoon and my tongue.
    I'm poor but not that poor. Anyone want a sawed off, drilled handled ti spork?
    Sporks are next to useless. A butter knife is useless.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I do tinker.

Images

this spoon worked the best for me http://www.rei.com/product/781529 and it was sold up and down the trail. like others said the metal get too hot.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

the other problem with metal is they freeze to your gloves in the winter.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Looks good Kayak. I might get one. Rightn ow I went to Wal-mart and got a package of plastic large spoon, fork, etc. I took the spoon, cut the handle down a bit, and then sanded the end to make it smooth. Neat. Light big spoon. Good eatin.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Jamba Juice also has long handled orange plastic spoons. Not the biggest volume, though.

Journal Entries

this spoon worked the best for me http://www.rei.com/product/781529 and it was sold up and down the trail. like others said the metal get too hot. Kayak Karl

Amen Karl! Thanks to great White Blaze posts made in the past, my 'much heavier than feather weight' metal spoon now stays home.

Karl's spoon looks the same, or maybe a bit longer, than the $1 or $2 plastic one which I have been carrying for the past four of five years. I think I bought that spoon, and also a spare, from Campmour. It says "Permaware" on the back side of the handle.

I was initially concerned that my spoon's lexan plastic might melt or break in the field but that has not happened. To make it fit well with other items stowed inside my Walmart grease pot, I used a Bic to weaken and remove some plastic from the end of my spoon's handle. That firebug antic took a while to accomplish. Unless I actually drop it into a fire, my spoon is very unlikely to melt in the field.

An earlier poster found a titanium spoon lying along the PCT. Obviously any spoon, no latter how strong, weak, or pricey, can be left behind somewhere accidentally. Eating soup with one's fingers, or hungrily attempting to quickly carve a wooden replacement might be inconvenient. So, (neurotic that I am) I take along a spare "emergency utensil" which I'll probably never need to use. It's a tiny Baskin Robbins ice cream spoon.

Wow, I'm not the only one who thinks sporks are worse than useless? I dream of the perfect spoon being made with the curve of its bowl perfectly matching the curve of my pot so that I can scrape out every last bit of food.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Every plastic utensil I have had, lexan, fast food or gray, has broken at the worst possible moment: when I am really hungry.

I do have a small silicone scraper, that is semi-flexible, I am considering might be an acceptable utensil.

I was looking at bamboo chopsticks, thinking I could stir stuff.

Maybe I could use the scraper to scoop up food, like using a tortilla?

If yes, I could manage with chopsticks and the silicone scraper.

I drink soup, anyway.

Somehow a silicone scraper doesn't seem so pleasant in my mouth for my enjoyment of food on the trail.

However, my REI polished spoon-end spork has nice mouth-feel and my Snow Peak Short Spork is a seriously important ul status symbol that, also, fits inside my ul 'cookset'.

Here are my favorite two sporks:

I made a spork from a stainless fork and a spoon from Goodwill. I cut them both down and brazed them together. I left the handles too long though. I will redo it at some point. I generally carry a plastic kitchen spoon for stirring which could be a backup to Lexan I suppose. Or go to a cheap spoon, a Lexan fork and my stirring spoon. That last may be the best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Wow, I'm not the only one who thinks sporks are worse than useless? I dream of the perfect spoon being made with the curve of its bowl perfectly matching the curve of my pot so that I can scrape out every last bit of food.
    The Seat to Summit long handled (aluminum) spoon has a pretty squared off tip, though still slightly rounded, it's close to perfectly matching the curve to my Snow Peak 600 ti cup, and works pretty well on my relatively huge 1.3 liter Ti pot (it's a Stoic, but looks identical to the Noaks)

If the spoon is too hot, the food probably is, too.

Journal Entries

Bamboo spoon 0.25 oz

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    this spoon worked the best for me http://www.rei.com/product/781529 and it was sold up and down the trail. like others said the metal get too hot.
    No longer available. Figures.
    Given how deep Mountain House bags are, I'm on the lookout for a smallish bamboo or wooden spoon with the right length handle. In the meantime, I bought a pair of GSI plastic spoons at Academy. The handle is long enough for single serving meals.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++