WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Default Trail Map Magic App for iPhone

I've done a search for "trail map app" and "trail map magic" and didn't get any hits. Sorry if this has ben asked before. Has anyone used the AT Map app for iphone by the company trail map magic llc? They list whiteblaze on their site so I thought there might be some info.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Hi Ashman,

I was checking google when I came across a post on here from you about our application. I'm one of the guys who wrote this app. One of our developers is active on this forum, but didn't think it was appropriate to use his reputation to make comments about the app, so here I am! I won't post any links, but we have a website with more information about the application. Also, the other developer I just mentioned is actually near mile 1195 (North bound) on his through hike using our app as his guide.

Thanks for noticing us, we posted a link to this site because it has passionate and knowledgeable people about the AT and we wanted our users to be aware of this great resource.

Adam

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmapmagic View Post
    Hi Ashman,

I was checking google when I came across a post on here from you about our application. I'm one of the guys who wrote this app. One of our developers is active on this forum, but didn't think it was appropriate to use his reputation to make comments about the app, so here I am! I won't post any links, but we have a website with more information about the application. Also, the other developer I just mentioned is actually near mile 1195 (North bound) on his through hike using our app as his guide.

Thanks for noticing us, we posted a link to this site because it has passionate and knowledgeable people about the AT and we wanted our users to be aware of this great resource.

Adam
    Hell, post the link. If it's hiking related it's no problem.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Hell, post the link. If it's hiking related it's no problem.
    Alrighty Don't want to turn this into an advertisement, just wanted to chime in to answer any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick500
    Haha, thanks!

Images

Alrighty Don't want to turn this into an advertisement, just wanted to chime in to answer any questions.

Haha, thanks!
    Pretty neat.

You've got Deep Gap in two places. 83.3 miles and 84.3 miles.

It's at mile 83.3
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Pretty neat.

You've got Deep Gap in two places. 83.3 miles and 84.3 miles.

It's at mile 83.3
    Thanks for the tip! That's already on the list for the next update.

Please keep 'em coming!

Images

that is awesome.....but i have verizon....how about an App that works on the android phones??????

Quote Originally Posted by gungho View Post
    that is awesome.....but i have verizon....how about an App that works on the android phones??????
    You're not the only one! One of our developers actually just picked up an EVO 4G. We're looking into writing an Android version. Unfortunately the programming languages for iPhone and Android are completely different.

Rest assured though, we are working on it! I'm going to add a page to our website about it so you can have a place to check for updates. As I mentioned earlier, one developer is on the trail as we speak so it won't be until around September until we're back up to full strength.

Images

You're not the only one! One of our developers actually just picked up an EVO 4G. We're looking into writing an Android version. Unfortunately the programming languages for iPhone and Android are completely different.

Rest assured though, we are working on it! I'm going to add a page to our website about it so you can have a place to check for updates. As I mentioned earlier, one developer is on the trail as we speak so it won't be until around September until we're back up to full strength.
    thanks for the info....i will be on the lookout for its arrival

I would also be very interested in the app for verizon service, blackberry
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

A version for Blackberry is going to be tough. I'll add it to the list, but I can't make any promises about a timeframe.

Images

I love the concept of the the app, however I am on verizon and probably will stay that way until AT&T gets their act together. As I understand the info from your website, you have to be in a coverage area for many of the features to work. Sadly that is not the case for a large portion of the AT from what I have heard. I may be wrong. I would like to hear if others have used the app with success on the trail. Thanks for posting!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

Cell coverage isn't required to use the app at all. Getting a GPS signal is important though. We've tried the app from GA to PA without any trouble getting GPS.

If the rumors are to be believed, there may be a Verizon iPhone later this year.

I have purchased and used the Trail Map Magic programs for the iPhone. It WILL work without a cell connection just fine. It works fine as a you-are-here with listings of what is ahead of you (similar to the guide books).

You just can't be leaving your phone on in full mode for very long or you battery will die quickly. The way to use the program is to turn on the GPS function, use it quickly, and turn it back off.

For a program like this Verizon does not have an advantage over ATT as cell coverage is not a part of it.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I have purchased and used the Trail Map Magic programs for the iPhone. It WILL work without a cell connection just fine. It works fine as a you-are-here with listings of what is ahead of you (similar to the guide books).

You just can't be leaving your phone on in full mode for very long or you battery will die quickly. The way to use the program is to turn on the GPS function, use it quickly, and turn it back off.

For a program like this Verizon does not have an advantage over ATT as cell coverage is not a part of it.
    Battery life is something we are very conscious of too. In the current version, the GPS is only pinged once every 5 seconds. We have a few other tricks up our sleeves too that iOS 4 will let us do.

I'd love to hear any other comments you have after using the app.

Battery life is something we are very conscious of too. In the current version, the GPS is only pinged once every 5 seconds. We have a few other tricks up our sleeves too that iOS 4 will let us do.

I didn't like having to click the "I Agree" thing every time. I would think once would suffice on the first open.

I didn't get the you-are-here function to work for almost my whole trip. I didn't know I had to click the "About" button for this to work. It wasn't very intuitive. This may have been user-error on my part. I was actually ticked at the program thinking that there was no you-are-here function, which would make it worthless. Once I got that to work it make much more sense but my trip was nearly over. I never got to use the water-source data with live GPS.....sad, as I passed one that left me a bit dry.

Id like to see the elevation data be able to go full screen. It just looks too flat to be very helpful. It would be nice to be able to go full screen map, full screen elevation, or combined (as it is now).

I don't see a need to ping every 5 seconds. We don't move THAT fast.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Cell coverage isn't required to use the app at all. Getting a GPS signal is important though. We've tried the app from GA to PA without any trouble getting GPS.

If the rumors are to be believed, there may be a Verizon iPhone later this year.
    Good to know, if that is the case, shouldn't it also work on an ipod touch?

iTunes would probably block the app from syncing to an iPod Touch since it is GPS based. That's unfortunate as all features would work if you could specify where you are by inputting coordinates or tapping on the screen. A simple setting for using the internal GPS signal (iPhone) or allowing users to specify where they are (iPod Touch) would expand the number of potential users. [Yes, I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch - Oct 2007]

Granted you said after using the app but... (I haven't bought it yet) but. I understand (and appreciate) you separating the trail into the sections. But if I have every section on my phone, then I have a whole page of "apps" just for the trail. Which is fine! but also when I'm not thinking about (or on) the trail, becomes cumbersome and cluttered. Of course with iOS 4.0 I can group them all but still. Selecting the section I want from one app would be more sensible.

So even at the current pricing, maybe make it all one app, and you can still just buy the sections you need. Maybe even a discount for buying them all at once. Instead of $31.84 total, maybe like $25. And all in one app.

I also agree that pinging gps ever 5 seconds is probably more than necessary. Maybe a "manual ping" button, and then default is 1 or even 5 minutes. Battery life on my iphone (3g) is such that I would be unlikely to have my phone on at all anyway, however. So the lighter the app is the better.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++