WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglesworth View Post
    Not so much a secret but something many regretfully pass by - take the blueblaze to Dismal Creek Falls in VA and spend the afternoon and night there - go to the general store at the road before and hike in some good grub. This is a day or so south of Pearisburg.
    We did that in March, just before a snowstorm. It's a decent little store, lots of food, and they let us sit for quite some time. When the storm hit, the owner let us stay in his barn, sleeping above the horses. Although I got the distinct impression that offer is not generally open to others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LimpsAlong View Post
    Which sides the front side?
    The side pointing south west or just west. When you are up on the main rock on top there is a 300 ft. cliff if you walk down the face about 200ft from the rock. at the top of the face you'll find a spring.

The Frye Brook Cascades in Maine are a nice side hike off the trail but most folks go right past. This area is a series of water falls and deep pools which are a nice place to go on a hot day. The trail past them used to be the AT until they relocated the trail at one point to keep it on the ridgeline and away from the East Andover road. It still is a good way to day hike the Baldpates from the Andover side.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The Frye Brook Cascades in Maine are a nice side hike off the trail but most folks go right past. This area is a series of water falls and deep pools which are a nice place to go on a hot day. The trail past them used to be the AT until they relocated the trail at one point to keep it on the ridgeline and away from the East Andover road. It still is a good way to day hike the Baldpates from the Andover side.
    Frye Brook Shelter was always my favorite on the A.T. It was a shame they relocated this section of the trail. The last time I stayed there was the day Nixon resigned. So often they relocate the trail to follow a pointless ridgeline leaving all the great spots like this befind.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by butts0989 View Post
    cave at blood mtn. also there is water about 200ft down the front side of the mountain for all you guys who may forget to bring water up there with you.
    Where is the cave located?
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Frye Brook Shelter was always my favorite on the A.T. It was a shame they relocated this section of the trail. The last time I stayed there was the day Nixon resigned. So often they relocate the trail to follow a pointless ridgeline leaving all the great spots like this befind.
    Folks will just have to settle for Cooper Brook Falls shelter. I didn't stay there as there was an extended family in residence when I arrived, but the swimming hole looked very inviting with a nice cliff to jump off of right in front of the shelter.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default helicopter crash

I found the wreckage of a helicopter around the Tennessee North Carolina Border. Unfortunatly, I can't remember exactly where. heading south it was on the left. Strewn across an area about 50 yards long. Maybe Gray Blazer knows where.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
    I found the wreckage of a helicopter around the Tennessee North Carolina Border. Unfortunatly, I can't remember exactly where. heading south it was on the left. Strewn across an area about 50 yards long. Maybe Gray Blazer knows where.
    I know, Angel, But I ain't tellin'. And I had nothing to do with it! I was nowhere close at the time it crashed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

These are mainly side trails:

Standing Indian summit

The old Runion logging camp. Located just outside of Hot Springs on Laurel River Trail. Old foundations. And river has some great cascades and rapids.

Rocky Fork Tract (viewed from Flint Gap). Hidden lake. System of old logging roads. Tons of waterfalls.

Lost Cove settlement on Flattop Mtn. Old cars. Foundations. Very historical

Eagles Nest on Ephirams Trail. Awesome view of Nolichucky Gorge

Elk River Big Falls

Big Yellow Mountain Bald

Grassy Ridge Bald

Berry Farm in Elk Park NC

Laurel Fork Trail with Frog Level, Upper Laurel Falls, Dennis Cove Falls

Coon Den Falls

Laurel Fork swimming holes at Koonford Bridge

Creeper Trail
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie View Post
    Maybe Gray Blazer knows where.
    Actually, now that I thought about it, I don't, but, my dad does.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by butts0989 View Post
    The side pointing south west or just west. When you are up on the main rock on top there is a 300 ft. cliff if you walk down the face about 200ft from the rock. at the top of the face you'll find a spring.
    I'll have to be pretty thirsty to walk down the face of a 300' cliff! But thanks anyway.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highside View Post
    Does anyone know any cool places off the trail on the A.T. that most people might not be aware of? Waterfalls, swimming holes, old graveyards ect?
    there are nudist camps along the trail around here....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    Where is the cave located?
    The cave is located about 30 yards east of the rock referred to earlier. there are many holes that appear to be caves but you'l know once you get the right one. the cavern is about 20 ft long and 4 -5 feet high, last i was in there i saw evidence of a fire in there. The hole to inter is very VERY small, hope you're a tiny guy.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

If the weather isn't bad, the old AT now blue blazed to Coon Den falls is worth the short side trip. Very steep and slippery, but great falls.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Race Brook Falls is large waterfall on a blue blaze off the AT not very far north of the CT/MA border, Sages Ravine and the excellent ridge walk on Race MT. Taking the scouts there in April.

About 5 miles south of Jeffers Brook Shelter in NH, there's a lake and campsites on the water just off the trail. Don't know how much of a secret it is because it is a great big lake, but it's not mentioned in the trail companion.

Quote Originally Posted by highside View Post
    Does anyone know any cool places off the trail on the A.T. that most people might not be aware of? Waterfalls, swimming holes, old graveyards ect?
    Hickory Flats Cemetary and Pavilion about 6 miles north of Springer.

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Scramble 200 feet down Coon Den Ridge from the Appalachian Trail (AT) and a leaf covered spring is usually visible even to the casual visitor. From this gentle outflow a mighty river is created. It flows through the heartland of Georgia, both physically and historically. Clean, fresh, and sparkling at this point, the water is begining a 500+ mile journey to the Gulf of Mexico as the Chattahoochee River.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    If the weather isn't bad, the old AT now blue blazed to Coon Den falls is worth the short side trip. Very steep and slippery, but great falls.
    I looped it from Dennis Cove up the AT to Coon Den Falls back to Dennis Cove with six inches of snow. I had to butt-scoot down the trail it was so slick.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

There is 3 silver mines on Beauty Spot/Unaka Mtn. If you find them please send me a "pm" and I will keep it a secret!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++