WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana I have 30-35 days for a AT hike. Where to start?

Its the end of my senior year of highschool and a friend of mine and i have decided to take a month or so to hike a section of the AT. We are preapred for moderate to hard hiking, we just are totally up in the air about where to start , and if we start in a certain area how far exactly we will be able to make it and end the hike. If anyone has any ideas for us that would be great, perhaps a certain section that would provide the most variety or hit a special must see spot, any informatio would be helpful. thanks

The South is cool, just start in Ga & go North
    ???

Hikingsasquatch Hikingsasquatch's Avatar
    Images

If you are leaving in the next month, I would suggest the section between US-64 Winding Stair Gap to US-19E Elk Park, NC: 280.7 miles.
    If you are talking about this summer, the White Mountains in New Hampshire or the 100-mile wilderness in Maine are definitely must see hikes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
    The South is cool, just start in Ga & go North

The South is cool. I definitely agree.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingsasquatch View Post
    If you are leaving in the next month, I would suggest the section between US-64 Winding Stair Gap to US-19E Elk Park, NC: 280.7 miles.
    If you are talking about this summer, the White Mountains in New Hampshire or the 100-mile wilderness in Maine are definitely must see hikes.
    I second this recommendation. The South is not "cool" in July.

Taking you at your word that you're prepared for "hard" hiking, I suggest starting at Gorham, the last road crossing in NH, and hiking to Katahdin. One month is just about right. I did this stretch in summer in a month so I expect you can as well. You'll hike up and over gorgeous mountains and walk by many lakes. You'll see moose and hear loons. The only caveat is prepare for bugs i.e. mosquitos. If you bring a tent, you'll do OK.

You could also hike this stretch in reverse, starting at Katahdin but I thought you'd get a thrill out of ending there.

Save the South for Spring (the best time) or Fall.

Images

It depends on when you are going to start. Can you give us your start date..

Panzer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The South is not "cool" in July.

I guess it depends on which "cool" your talking about. Obviously weather wise it's not cool. That being said, I've hiked in the Smokies in the middle of July up in the higher elevations and it was pretty chilly.
    HABAKKUK 3:19
    Yaweh my Lord is my strength; He makes my feet like those of a deer and enables me to walk on mountain heights!

consider the long trail in it's entirety. you can start over greylock in Mass since you have extra time. It'll be a long drive from Florida but worth it. Starts (relatively) easy...finishes pretty hard in some amazing territory.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

start at the beginning of the whites and head north to katahdin
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by sidebackside View Post
    I guess it depends on which "cool" your talking about. Obviously weather wise it's not cool. That being said, I've hiked in the Smokies in the middle of July up in the higher elevations and it was pretty chilly.
    Agree - I've hiked a little in the high Smokies in summer and nights were certainly cooler than, for example, the mid-Atlantic 1,000 miles to the north. I also recall a July day hike up Big Bald from Spivey Gap - oppressive at the beginning but noticably cooler on BB's summit even in the middle of the day.

I just think Spring i.e. May & early June is the best time to hike the Southern Appalachians especially for the wildflowers. And NH/ME have a narrower window of hiking. So if the OP starts his hike in July, I recommend he take advantage of that narrow window. Now if he starts right after graduation in mid-May then heck yes, hike Winding Stair Gap to Damascus.

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Default Springer to Erwin

Start at Springer Mtn Georgia and hike north. You will end up between Erwin and Damascus. This will give you a good sense of what hikers go through who thru-hike and also keep you closer to home.
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

Start at the southern end of the Mahoosuc Notch and hike north. . .

I would start in North Adams/Williamstown Mass, and hike the long trail assuming a mid summer start. I wish I had 35 days to hike this summer.
    GA-ME 04
    GA-VA 05

Images

Start in Damascus and head north to see how much of Virginia you can complete.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Assuming you will be getting out of school sometime in the first half of June, you probably don't want to endure the heat of the deep South in June/July.

I would start in Harpers Ferry and hike south. Your first week will be relatively easy except for one day or so doing the infamous Rollercoaster (just kidding--it's not that bad!). You will then transition to higher elevation in Shenandoah National Park, a great place to be in June. Most of that is relatively easier, too, and comes with the added attraction of places to get a snack, meal, or short resupply within short distance of the AT. Once south of SNP, it will get tougher, which is what you say you are prepared for.

I'm thinking within a month-plus, you will get to somewhere in Southwest Virgina. Plenty of exit points when you're done.

Bonus: You will get to meet lots of northbound thru-hikers headed for Katahdin. The early part of your hike will still be prime time for NOBOs.

Happy trails!

thanks for all the suggestions. start date now looking like july 5th, so mid summer. i have already done segments of the south (georgia, rockies NC) so would probably start north of that section. Any one know what the weather in shenandoah is in summer time? also, any idea of approximate daily mileage through that general area?

2010 complete

kathadin and hike south. Maine is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by noah22 View Post
    Its the end of my senior year of highschool and a friend of mine and i have decided to take a month or so to hike a section of the AT. We are preapred for moderate to hard hiking, we just are totally up in the air about where to start , and if we start in a certain area how far exactly we will be able to make it and end the hike. If anyone has any ideas for us that would be great, perhaps a certain section that would provide the most variety or hit a special must see spot, any informatio would be helpful. thanks
    When are you actually graduating?
    I think that at your age you might like to find out where the thruhikers are and get in the middle of them somewhere, probably New York or north, if you're not heading out until June or so. If earlier, you can see where they are. I HAVE found, however, that you can't expect to really fit in (if that appeals to you) with thruhiker "cliques" in many cases, but observing them and hiking and camping with them can be a real experience (especially if you pay for the AYCE and watch them devour the establishment out of house and home ).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    start at the beginning of the whites and head north to katahdin
    That's a great area, but I wouldn't start until July 1, if possible. Earlier, mud, black flies, and high water in streams offer complications that are best avoided by newcomers to serious backpacking seeking a fun hike.

A shorter walk could start at Gorham, N. H. If you finish earlier than expected on Katahdin, spend a few days exploring Baxter Park. Usually a few back country campsites will be open for those without reservations. Just ask the rangers at Katahdin Stream to do a search of sites within walking or hitching distance -- Abol, Chimney Pond, Roaring Brook, Russell Pond, South Branch Ponds, and others. There is no better way to end a Maine hike than to walk through the middle of Baxter -- South Branch Ponds, Russell Pond, Roaring Brook, Chimney Pond, the Knife Edge to the Katahdin summit, out via Katahdin Stream. A special bonus would be the side trail into the Northwest Basin campsite from the summit of Katahdin. The basin is the remotest place in the park, and among the wildest spots in Maine. It could also serve as the first night or two for a reverse hike through the park, Northwest Basin, Russell Pond, South Branch Ponds.

Weary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    kathadin and hike south. Maine is my favorite.
    Maine is Lame. Can't understand why people would want to go there.

NH is what you want.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++