WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bug Problems with ENO hammock?

Whats up,
    I've always been a tent guy, but am tempted to make the switch to a hammock for my june-julyish section from port clinton to glencliff. I have a new ENO hammock, just the hammock, no bug net/tarp or anything. Of course I'll have to get some kind of tarp for the weather, but does anybody who has used one in the past have any comments on the bug situation? The sides fold over eachother and mostly seal it off, but i'm sure they can find a way in if they want to. Any opinions? thanks.

Images

I too have a new ENO hammock , mine a single nest . I wondered the same thing when I purchased the single and seriously considered a double nest instead .
    Which hammock do you have ?

I opted instead for the Fly Tarp since crappy weather seems to follow me on the trail .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I have one too and have the ENO bug net to go with it and made my own silnylon tarp. Great rig, add thin pad under you and your bag and you'll be good.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Get one of these: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=2502
    I like the vertical orentation of the zipper, but not the weight. Warbonnet hammocks makes a bug net that's less than half the weight but has a horizontal zipper, and I'm not so sure I'd like having to make sure it's at the right height so I can get into and out of my hammock easily.
    Imo, a narrow hammock (there are limits, though) is cooler in the summer. Not having the hammock wrap around your body is the way to make the most of cooling breezes - that's why I got rid of my Hennessy.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

June - July is INTENSELY buggy...
    If that influences your decision at all.

Images

I have a single-nest and do NOT own the bug net. So far it hasn't been a problem. The only exposed areas at night are my face and arms and a little bug spray seems to ward off all the skeeters.
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz-mataz View Post
    I have a single-nest and do NOT own the bug net. So far it hasn't been a problem. The only exposed areas at night are my face and arms and a little bug spray seems to ward off all the skeeters.
    yes, that's the way i've been doing it, too... with a head net and deet. oh, and permethrin on clothes and hammock. i'd be tempted to survey completed thru-hikers to see what they do for bug protection when sleeping -- so many seem to sleep only in shelters. maybe they use head nets. are there lots of screened-enclosure free hikers out there?
    Lazarus

I've had a problem getting bitten THROUGH the fabric. I need to hit it with some permethrin sometime.

I usually use a hammock with paddling, and there's no way I'd just use a headnet. I've rigged up a mosquito bar over my hammock, and that works ok for the most part. ENO's bugnet works great too.

You can also rig up a very basic bug net draped over the hammock. Buy some no-see-um netting, put a grommet at each end, attach to the carabiners, and let it drape over the hammock. Shouldn't be more than $20, depending on how expensive the no-see-um is. Not as lightweight as a little DEET on the face though.

Also, if you can use the hammock's sides to make a cocoon, you're probably laying in it "banana" style and not on the diagonal. Laying at an angle lets you use that extra fabric to lay flat. This is how most people sleep in a hammock, but try different positions and see what is most comfortable for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    I've had a problem getting bitten THROUGH the fabric. I need to hit it with some permethrin sometime.

I usually use a hammock with paddling, and there's no way I'd just use a headnet. I've rigged up a mosquito bar over my hammock, and that works ok for the most part. ENO's bugnet works great too.

elbows and back get bit to death on the bottom of the hammock.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If you have a bug net that surrounds the hammock, not only will it protect you from bug bites above and below, but it will protect you from stinging insects.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++