WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your choice double wall free standing solo tent

~ Double wall
    ~ Free standing
    ~ Solo shelter
    ~ </= 86" long

What tent would you choose that fit these(and only these) descriptions for an AT thru hike? And why?

I meant to post this in the general gear section. Sorry. But since it's here Ill just leave it, I guess......unless someone wants to move it.

Images

The MSR Hubba meets your criteria. I like the side entry, the robust floor, rain proof entry, excellent height, and long-term durability.

The Hubba, why...because it works.

geek

Big Agnes Seedhouse or Fly Creek. I just got the Fly Creek and the 2P version is less than 2 1/2 lbs.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Images

Moved it - IceAge

I would go with the Big Anges Seedhouse SL1. I have the two man and couldn't be more happy with it. I snagged mine brand new (with tags) off of ebay for $135 shipped which also made it all the more appealing.

-Donnie

Neither of the tents mentioned are free standing, both the Hubba and the Seedhouse require stakes to pull out the vestibules. There are certain kind of tents that are "truly" free-standing, the low-quality and the high quality.

In the low quality I would put the below Coleman with the flysheet attached to the four corner tent pole ends. What makes such a tent low quality? Cuz there's no door protection from horizontal rain and snow in a big storm.

The high quality free standing double wall tents are few, and I can think of only some of the small Hilleberg domes like the Soulo and the Allak. Of course, Integral Designs and Bibler/Black Diamond have some free standing single walls.

What's the definition of free-standing? You can pick it up and move it with all components attached(i.e.fly)and the only pegging needed is for wind protection, and there's no vestibule and fly staking.

Images

I can't tell if you want it MORE than or LESS than 86".

But for me, I'd go with an REI T1 or T2 (which I own). A great tent.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I can think of one, and its great but its for 2 people. True free standing and pretty lighweight for a 2 person. Eureaka Pinnacle pass 2xta. It's high quality!!

Anyways I would suggest the Seedhouse SL1. Its big enough for me and my dog (a little bigger then a beagle) and not cramped and extremely light weight. You could say it is free standing, but you need to tie it to stakes to get the most out of it.

I'm sorry, as for length, 86" or longer.

Also, when I say freestanding I am really just referring to the actual tent body. I am not too worried about the vestibule, however of course it would be nice.

Oh yes, and light. Preferably under 3 lbs.

Thanks so far.

Not all freestanding tents have the walls at the same inward angle, so you could have an 80" long floor that has more usable space than one at 86".
    By usable space I mean around 15" or more between the floor and the inner/fly.
    For example I did this quick and dirty comparison between the Hilleberg Akto and Soulo. Same floor length but the Akto has about a foot more of usable space.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Not all freestanding tents have the walls at the same inward angle, so you could have an 80" long floor that has more usable space than one at 86".
    By usable space I mean around 15" or more between the floor and the inner/fly.
    For example I did this quick and dirty comparison between the Hilleberg Akto and Soulo. Same floor length but the Akto has about a foot more of usable space.
    Franco
    Franco makes a good point. I had both the Soulo and Akto set up side by side and the Akto has much more usable length. By as much as 4" on each end. Of course, the Soulo had more headroom....everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Neither of the tents mentioned are free standing, both the Hubba and the Seedhouse require stakes to pull out the vestibules. There are certain kind of tents that are "truly" free-standing, the low-quality and the high quality.

In the low quality I would put the below Coleman with the flysheet attached to the four corner tent pole ends. What makes such a tent low quality? Cuz there's no door protection from horizontal rain and snow in a big storm.

The high quality free standing double wall tents are few, and I can think of only some of the small Hilleberg domes like the Soulo and the Allak. Of course, Integral Designs and Bibler/Black Diamond have some free standing single walls.

What's the definition of free-standing? You can pick it up and move it with all components attached(i.e.fly)and the only pegging needed is for wind protection, and there's no vestibule and fly staking.

The Eureka Backcountry 1 tent can be considered a true free standing double wall solo tent. A good size too, a 96" x 36" footprint and 38" height. Weighs 3 lb 14 oz.
    Of course it would be better if you could stake it down, but is totally usable if you can't/won't. But high winds can screw you.
    http://www.eurekatent.com/p-44-backcountry-1-tent.aspx#

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

I like my REI Chrysalis UL. You may still be able to get your hands on one in the REI Outlet, but I think after that they're gone.

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
    I like my REI Chrysalis UL. You may still be able to get your hands on one in the REI Outlet, but I think after that they're gone.
    Sorry, just checked REI...looks like the Chrysalis is history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
    Sorry, just checked REI...looks like the Chrysalis is history.
    That tent is much too short - the ends slope significantly such that it is probably something like 78" long.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I'll put it in another vote for the Hubba. Never failed me yet even when I set it up in a bad spot and a rain storm came in, and I love the side entrance

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    Moved it - IceAge
    Headed out soon?
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Formerly Jaws2006
    Journal Entries

Default MSR HUBBA - hands down

I have carried and used the MSR Hubba on two thru-hikes. Simply flawless and very reliable. I did buy the optional ground cloth to protect the floor. It adds 6 ounces (a lot - I know) but helps with ground water and protruding objects.

There are a number of sites where it is a MAJOR assist to have a free-standing tent - at tent pads (wooden) where it is possible but difficult to setup a non-free standing tent. This can be a concern at the tenting sites in the White Mountains.

You can easily sit up in the Hubba. Vestibule is pretty small (pretty small to consider an open cooking flame) but I can still fit a pack in it.

The new Hubbas are made with lighter material - thus a lighter tent. No experience with them. Hopefully they are as durable.

Note: even though the Hubba is free-standing, you probably will want to bring at least two stakes because the sides need to be pulled and staked or tied away from the tent for vestibule space and air space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++