WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    chin up. it's wonderful what you are doing. i totally understand the frustration that comes with it not reading exactly how you imagined it, but you should know that it was an interesting read, one that would have gotten me to get out and hike if i didn't already. it sounds alot better than you think it does!
    OK, who hacked kanga's password? Seriously, though, I agree. If it gets folks outside and increases their health and self-reliance, I say job well done.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Being a native born-and-raised South Carolinian, I never knew South Carolina had a town named Montreal! Or else, this journalist doesn't know how best to use commas in a series, which requires use of a comma before the "and" always.

I liked the article and know what you mean about being mis-quoted. Been there, done that. It just comes with the territory unless you insist on reviewing and pre-approving a draft article.

Best to you and all the Trail Dames!

RainMan

I think I passed through Montreal, South Carolina. There were lots of folks saying "Eh? Y'all".
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    It just comes with the territory unless you insist on reviewing and pre-approving a draft article.
    I don't think many mainstream journalists accept this. I know we have at least one of those dinosaurs on WB, maybe he will chime in soon.

Images

They may not accept this, but in my experience it could help them be more accurate if they went back and asked the subject to do a quick fact check.

I usually go back to a manufacturer and show them a review before publishing on my site. But then again, I guess I'm not a professional either.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

It's okay. The reporter screwed up but I got 15 more ladies to sign up, so it doesn't really matter. Some of them told me that I was "an answer to prayer." That is extraordinarily humbling and makes me cry. I had no idea of the desire and need out there. I have a huge burden to make this work and to be what they expect. I think I can do it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    It's okay. The reporter screwed up but I got 15 more ladies to sign up, so it doesn't really matter. Some of them told me that I was "an answer to prayer." That is extraordinarily humbling and makes me cry. I had no idea of the desire and need out there. I have a huge burden to make this work and to be what they expect. I think I can do it.
    I've had and continue to have similar experiences with the women who join our chapter, and I'm sure that Mud Butt can relate the same. We have one lady in particular, who left a nearly 30-year abusive marriage. She had no confidence whatsoever. She tells us often that Trail Dames saved her life. It's so much more than hiking!

If you need any help at all, you know where to find me.

i have every confidence in you.

Images

I think you are over reacting I think it sounds just fine, take the accolades and run with it. I didn't take the comments for anything other than what was said. I am trying to mentor women with my own group and am actually hiking this next weekend with 3 women who have never donnned a backpack. I hope your group takes off and you accomplish all you have planned for it.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Images

I think the article read just fine for the quick read it was. My only complaint would be that the "shelter mice" (wherever they were encountered) were referred to as rats. Paints an overly alarming picture. It ain't like you had wharf rats running across you.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    Loneoak, I understand there's a Men of Trail Dames calendar in the works. Maybe there's a month for you?
    I don't think it would be a big seller, having me on a calender ........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    I think the article read just fine for the quick read it was. My only complaint would be that the "shelter mice" (wherever they were encountered) were referred to as rats. Paints an overly alarming picture. It ain't like you had wharf rats running across you.

If I had ever believed RATS had been running over me I'd never sit in a shelter again, let alone sleep in one. I told the reporter MICE. How that became "rats" is beyond me!

Images

If I had ever believed RATS had been running over me I'd never sit in a shelter again, let alone sleep in one. I told the reporter MICE. How that became "rats" is beyond me!
    And who let the politicians into the shelter to begin with?!?!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Thumbs up

The reporter screwed up but I got 15 more ladies to sign up, so it doesn't really matter. Some of them told me that I was "an answer to prayer." That is extraordinarily humbling and makes me cry. I had no idea of the desire and need out there.
    If the article got you this many new members, then more power to the news media after all.

And, it's a great thing you are doing, Mrs Baggins! There is a desire and need out there. My oldest daughter (an attorney and now law professor) represents victims of domestic violence. What you are offering all women is wonderful. Good for you.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

They may have been reading White Blaze. Many people here are absolutely terrified of shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    They may have been reading White Blaze. Many people here are absolutely terrified of shelters.
    hold on there drama queen, it's not fear, it's disgust. southern shelters are N A S T Y. rat infested, peed in, trashed out. i'd rather sleep in the walmart parking lot. i did see a couple of shelters in maine i might stay in though.

Images

Hey, I've slept in Cold Springs Shelter - - I don't know how much worse it gets than that mud pit. There were two of us, no one else there, so we put our tents up in the shelter (something I would NOT have done if there had been even one one more person) and the mice ran over my tent and bumped into my head all night. We didn't know that there was a tent site just a little further up the trail. I really don't mind the mice as long as I'm covered up enough and they aren't actually chewing on me. In a shelter in the Smokies (Tri-Knob I think - I don't remember now) something very big ran across my legs. Skunk? I don't know. I just sort of kicked my legs and it left me alone.

Images

Not to mention the trashy hiker types that hang around the things.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Not to mention the trashy hiker types that hang around the things.
    eggsactly!

Images

eggsactly!
    I usually tent because I like the privacy. But if I get to a shelter and I'm just beyond exhausted and don't want to be bothered with the tent I'll sleep in the shelter. I truly despise spiders, snakes, and mice so I don't usually choose to sleep in a shelter unless 1) it's a situation like the Smokies where section hikers are required to stay in the shelters or 2) I just can't work up enough energy to set up a tent.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

i'd rather sleep in the walmart parking lot.

It is legal, too!

http://www.liveworkdream.com/2007/11...-lot-camp-out/
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++