WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: External Frame

Default External Frame

I was looking at my worn torn battle scarred Kelty external Frame today and was remembering all the places I have been with that pack.. Even though I have finally moved over to internals, I do miss the external frames and their ease of lugging heavy gear around..

While looking at some external frames (out of nostalgia) I was curious who hikes the trail/s today with externals?? I saw Kelty still sells a couple of externals and wonder what other companies are still offering them..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

Jansport offers external frame packs.
    I have the Rainier model, It's about 15 to 20 years old, I have switched to Internal as well.

i use kelty super tiogas while hiking, just purchased a new never used one on e-bay, i'm still looking for a couple more to last me the rest of my hiking life. i got into hiking with the knowledge that the external frame was the best pack for the appalachian trail, and i still feel that way! jeff at MRO sent me a free ULA pack,and i was but wasn't impressed, got rid of it. externals do weigh more but carry the load much better, don't care for the weight on the shoulders the way internals ride, my external rides higher and puts the weight on my hips and legs. nice airflow between my pack and my back, and all the pockets let me organize extremly well. i can load my pack and be in/out of camp within minutes. to each his own, i'm used to carrying my dogs food,and gear. since i've lost her i'm already ultra light. i don't care what others/my friends wear? as long as we can all get out there on the trail and kick some dust around

I use a Luxury Lite, it's very lightweight (Carbon fiber frame) and quite unique.

Images

Don't use it much, but I do keep a JanSport Scout in working condition.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Images

Returning to backpacking after a long time away I bought an internal frame cause "well, that is what everybody was using." Even though what I really wanted was an external like I had always used. And after using the internal I realized I still wanted an external and bought a Kelty trekker.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

I use an Jansport external, D5.

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello All, I use an external frame, E.M.S. 4500. I have tried Internal Frame packs and I always return to my External Frame. I sweat alot and the external suits me better. Thats My story.. GOOD HIKING TO ALL.. MIKE..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I still use my external pack...ok I'll fess up its really an alice pack--I happen to have the perfect fit torso for that beast and even though it weighs just shy of a ton empty it seems I can carry the universe in it or strapped on it somewhere.

I did just become the owner of my first internal frame pack. I have not taken it out yet but I'm still tinkering with the packing differences.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I still use my Kelty A4, vintage 1969

taking my jansport out this weekend love it

Wife and I had external Kelty and Jansport respectively. To us we went with comfort over weight. I'd rather carry an extra pound in reality and yet feel 3 pounds lighter because to me it is that much more comfortable and has better load balance. Big fan of externals.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    Wife and I had external Kelty and Jansport respectively. To us we went with comfort over weight. I'd rather carry an extra pound in reality and yet feel 3 pounds lighter because to me it is that much more comfortable and has better load balance. Big fan of externals.
    egg-zactly

Images

The wife and I both use the Gregory Evolution externals, mine 4500 and her's 3500 cu in and like them so much we both bought new ones on Ebay when Gregory discontinued them back in the 90s. Both still upstairs in their plastic wrapping and awaiting their test come retirement.2015

I have an old aluminum frame that I bought in the late 60's. It looks a lot like a Kelty but it's not. The original bag, shoulder harness and hip belt are long gone. Everything but the frame is DIY now.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I have a Kelty Yukon (not running to basement to check cubic) and love it. I have an internal but the external is my preferred pack. It is lighter and helps me carry lighter. I am short and it fits. I grew up with external Camp Trails so it was an easy choice for me.

I wouldn't trade my external frame for anything. . . seeing what internal frame folks go through to try to get something out of their pack would drive me crazy. . .

Talking

Egg-zactly.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

I think there are a lot of us who prefer the old externals. I switched to an internal pack when my old external finally fell apart. My internal is an REI UL-45, and it's about shot now. I never really loved that pack. Buried deep in my attic, I found an old, bright red Kelty Tioga Jr that I bought for my son when he first joined boy scouts. It's small and adjustable, and it actually fits me quite well. Since I've been moving toward lighter loads for years, I discovered that I can fit everything I need quite nicely into that little Tioga. I think I'm going to give it a try soon. It's sturdy, air flow is better, and the weight is easier to carry.

Originally posted by MoyToy:
    I have an old aluminum frame that I bought in the late 60's. It looks a lot like a Kelty but it's not. The original bag, shoulder harness and hip belt are long gone. Everything but the frame is DIY now.
    Same here. Every few years I sew a new hip belt and straps. It is currently wearing a bag made of silnylon--total weight is just under 3 pounds. As long as the frame holds together, I will be using it!

I guess I am just an old fart, but I simply don't see much advantage to an internal frame pack.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++