Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
I believe the exact opposite, unless maybe you tighten the piss out of your boots. I keep the top somewhat loose and have found that my ankles work much harder in boots than in very lightweight running shoes. I believe this is because boots have a higher heel that puts more strain on the ankle joint. It also doesn't help that the soles of boots are so stiff that they practically encourage you to step all over rocks, which also forces the ankles to work harder. The lightweight running shoes have a much lower heel and a softer sole, but of which forces my ankles to work less.
Eugene, this doesn't sound good. I respect your experience, but personally I wouldn't want to put more strain on my ankle joint or force them to work harder. I like trail runners (I've been using Inov8s and NB MT100s) because they let my foot and ankle work naturally. As you say, the soles of boots are stiff, and when I step on a rock that I can't feel in boots, the whole thing tips off balance, tweaking my ankle. With trail runners I can both feel that rock and adjust, and twist my foot naturally to keep my balance. It is my personal belief that stiff-soled shoes are mostly to blame for rolled ankles while hiking.