WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

Default Do You Carry Maps?

Stupid Question #437 here:

Do you carry maps on your section and/or thru hikes? In a few weeks I embark on a 100 mile section hike that actually requires 4 separate maps from start to finish. That's alot of maps in my opinion, but its just how it fell for this particular hike. Looking at the Thru-hiker's Companion, I feel like all the information I need is found on those pages. Granted, there are benefits to having maps, such as elevation profiles and general spatial orientation, but do you feel the need to have the additional weight and hassle?

Tell me where i'm going wrong.

Thanks!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You'll find a number of threads devoted to this topic, with as many opinions.

If it's weight you're concerned with, either split up the maps between food caches, or copy/condense the portions onto double-sided paper.

You're correct, you really don't need the maps to hike the AT...if everything goes as planned. I have several examples where they've proven invaluable, and in one case perhaps life-saving (for another hiker), mainly to be able to tell where bail-out options exist and where you might be should you lose the trail.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Yep. I carry the maps.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

As do I. I like being able to identify what's around me, and on at least one occasion where a bale-out was necessary, they were essential to routing off the trail and taking a shortcut to the car.

+1 on carrying maps. I always get people who "don't need them" asking to take a peak at mine.

I carry them mostly to see the elevation changes and because I try to pick out a spot every 2 - 3 miles away to plan breaks.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Do you carry maps on your section and/or thruhikes?.............ETC,ETC,ETC,..... Thanks!

Yo AG DC,

NO!....follow the WHITE BLAZES!
    you dont need NO STINKIN' MAPS!

i simply carry the AT DATA BOOK pages that i need during my 2 week section-hike each year....

some hikers carry the up-to-date-"THRU-HIKERS' Companion" (ALDHA)

No matter what you carry (or DONT CARRY)...GOOD LUCK with your hike!)

i'll be out there (w/ NO MAPS!) Apr 24-May 8
    NOBO Clarks Valley,PA to Greenwood Lake,NY
    w/ "Jigsaw"
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Garlic
    Images

As said before, this topic is perennially beaten to death here. The best nugget of wisdom I've seen in all the posts is this: "If you have to ask whether you need maps, you should probably take them."

I hiked the AT without maps, taking the advice of some trail veterans I respected and who knew my hiking experience and style. There are about 170,000 whiteblazes on the Trail, per the ATC website (both directions). That works out to one every 140 feet. I could often see three or four at a time in each direction. (The only times I remember being confused was at a few road crossings, which a 200' walk in each direction took care of, and at one tree-less summit with several beaten paths, which took a little scrutiny to find the next blaze. Every time it was easier and faster to look around than it was to pull out a map, especially in the rain.)

Again, if you're not sure, take the maps.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AeroGuyDC-"....That's alot of maps in my opinion...."
    That's because it's a lot of hiking.

"....but do you feel the need to have the additional weight and hassle?"
    The hassle is asking other prepared hikers to let you look at their maps.

Dreaming of a Thru-Hike! AeroGuyDC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    That's because it's a lot of hiking.

The hassle is asking other prepared hikers to let you look at their maps.
    Thank you for your input. However, I disagree that 100 miles is "a lot of hiking." Considering that it only covers ~5 percent of the entire trail, 4 maps, two of which have only tidbits of my planned section, does seem like a lot of maps to me. I was looking for experienced input, not sarcastic diatribe.

As far as asking others to look at their map, yes, I can see how that would be a hassle, although i'm not one to lean on others for hardly anything. Not my style.

I was on the fence because I know that the AT is relatively easy to navigate. Spatial disorientation has never been a problem for me, but i'll likely consolidate and photocopy "just in case."

Thanks to everyone for your input.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know SNP but I still carry maps. But on my next section there is a seven mile section on one map only when I begin. I will not carry that particular map.

Maps are hardly a hassle. They are part of your life saving gear, imo

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I like the terrain profile on the maps. They help me plan my day by letting me know how difficult the trail is going to be that day.

Panzer

The Animal (class of 2010) jnl82381's Avatar

I got a map of the entire Long Trail that is on one map sheet. It's broken up into five vertical maps on each side. If all the Mountain Clubs went to this format instead of what they have now, there would be a lot fewer maps to carry.

Some sections of the AT aren’t bad; others it looks like a strong hiker will go through a map a day! That’s a little excessive. And you can't even blame it on the fact that they are 1:100,000 vs. 1:250,000 because the face is, is that the scale isn't what takes up most of the space on the maps. It's all the marginal data, trail etiquette, flora and fauna, etc. a lot of "extra" stuff on what is supposed to just be a MAP.

There are different Guide Books out there, maybe its time someone else published a new set of maps? Huge undertaking I know. But we’ll see...

BTW, I do carry maps.

Quote Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Do you carry maps on your section and/or thru hikes? In a few weeks I embark on a 100 mile section hike that actually requires 4 separate maps from start to finish. That's alot of maps in my opinion, but its just how it fell for this particular hike. Looking at the Thru-hiker's Companion, I feel like all the information I need is found on those pages. Granted, there are benefits to having maps, such as elevation profiles and general spatial orientation, but do you feel the need to have the additional weight and hassle?

Tell me where i'm going wrong.

Thanks!
    yes. i always carry maps. nice to know the fastest, easiest way out in case of emergency

Quote Originally Posted by jnl82381 View Post
    [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I got a map of the entire Long Trail that is on one map sheet. It's broken up into five vertical maps on each side. If all the Mountain Clubs went to this format instead of what they have now, there would be a lot fewer maps to carry.
    I'd pay a premium for a full AT map set like that. I'd like to go at least 150-200 miles per map (front and back), and cutting out some of the extra crap and doing some formatting could make that happen.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    +1 on carrying maps. I always get people who "don't need them" asking to take a peak at mine.

Bet they're the same people who don't "need" stoves, water treatment, etc. but always "borrow" from others. Maybe even the same folks who don't "need" to carry a tent but demand those already crowded into shelters move into tents so they can grab their shelter space.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

What's nuts is having a bunch of 1 sided maps.

Make good quality color copies of the trail on each section then cut out the sections that show what you need, tape sections together and seal with clear contact paper. You can also copy just the pages you need from the trail guide and put them on the back side of the pieced together map. Just roll or fold it up and the contact paper protects and strenghtens the map.

AeroGuyDC-"Thank you for your input. However, I disagree that 100 miles is "a lot of hiking." Considering that it only covers ~5 percent of the entire trail, 4 maps, two of which have only tidbits of my planned section, does seem like a lot of maps to me. I was looking for experienced input, not sarcastic diatribe."
    Sometimes when one asks what is a stupid question (your own words), they can expect a range of answers-some they won't like. I always find it amusing that some people complain about the weight of maps. If you want to hike a certain section of the trail and do the wise thing and carry maps, that is part of the trip, just like you need more food and money to hike longer distances. In order to give maps the detail they consider necessary for hiking they have to use a certain scale and that makes the hiking maps larger than your average state road map.

I've carried all 7 ME maps thru the state and that never killed me. Four of the Maine maps total just over 4 ounces, hardly a back breaker. Maybe if I was a gram weenie I'd get concerned about 4 ounces but on a hike I try not to worry about the small stuff. If you were complaining about the quality and detail of the old Keystone maps then you might find more agreement.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Laurie P of ATC makes a good point to bring maps with the fire danger and possible reroutes - see the trail news forum

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++