WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Magnesium fire starter

Early last week my oldest son & I got a few magnesium Fire starters from Harbor freight ($1.99 ea): block of mag with a steel rod glued into one edge. Ours came with a small piece of hacksaw blade as a striker.
    Last night, just before dark, we went to practice with them. After a few tries, we each got a small fire going. The conditions were as near perfect as possible: no wind, dry conditions, ample fire wood & tinder handy.
    We “cheated” & used a piece of TP as a “base” for the magnesium shavings. This actually worked very well as the magnesium seemed to stick to the TP.
    The problem we had, & the reason for this post, is we had trouble getting more than a coarse dust from the magnesium block. We tried: shaving with a small knife = dust. Shaving with a large knife = dust. Scraping with the hacksaw striker = dust. We could not get shavings as I have seen in other uses. My large knife is a Gerber with a serrated section near the handle, the small one also has a serrated edge. Tonight I’ll try with a different non serrated knife, but does anyone have any tips? We tried: different angles with the knife, held the magnesium block off the rock & against the rock we were starting the fire on. All we could get is a course dust.
    The dust started the fire OK, but took a lot of tries as the magnesium didn’t burn very long unless (by luck?) we hit a larger pile of magnesium.
    And, as it was dead calm I felt that even a slight breeze would blow it away with ease. Even the striking of the sparks seemed to scatter the magnesium dust. The TP seemed to help hold it in place.

Will also try to cut off small pieces with the hacksaw blade.
    Last edited by Doctari; 04-11-2010 at 16:40.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Garlic
    Images

That's interesting. I tested mine once and was easily able to get large curly shavings with a medium sized pocket knife. Maybe it's a cheaper alloy of magnesium you got for $1.99 (I assume that's a typo in your post and you didn't really pay almost $200 for it!) and it isn't as soft. Several different mag alloys are used in construction and auto parts.

It's very smart of you to try it out. At least you're not out too much if you can't figure something out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Journal Entries

I bought one at a gun show back in January - love it. Throws incredible sparks.
    And it is gonna take me a LONG time to shave that mag block down to nothing...

I certainly was in the right.
    Journal Entries
    Images

My experience was like Garlic's. Bought it, tested it, never used it again - most likely it's buried in a box of gear. One thing I do carry now is a trick birthday candle for windy days (idea compliments of Sgt Rock).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    That's interesting. I tested mine once and was easily able to get large curly shavings with a medium sized pocket knife. Maybe it's a cheaper alloy of magnesium you got for $1.99 (I assume that's a typo in your post and you didn't really pay almost $200 for it!) and it isn't as soft. Several different mag alloys are used in construction and auto parts.

It's very smart of you to try it out. At least you're not out too much if you can't figure something out.
    I concur,
    I have the Coghlan's Magnesium Fire Starter which I paid seven dollars for probably 15 years ago, It still costs the same, I tried it once and got the shavings as mentioned. You get what you pay for I guess, But as long as it does work, No big loss.

$200 for a fire starter..WoW!! Hope it came with gold..Havnt tried it yet but heard it is good..I saw a cheaper brand at the Army/Navy store the other day..I think it only cost 4 bucks..I'm not ready to shell out a lot of money for something that cost the same as my pack..

Just sayin,

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Images

One dollar ninety nine cents was the cost.
    The magnesium was rather hard. I have seen videos of guys shaving one like it was pine, mine is like hardened aluminum.

During testing I also tried my 3 (pezio electric, Bic) lighters. 2 failed to light, 1 that you could still see fuel in barely lit then went out.

Thanks guys!

I had a Coghlan's magnesium rectangular block with a flint rod inset, from REI, recently, that made shavings.

The magnesium rods that made only dust still work for me, but I have to have the dust collected on a dry leaf to be practical.

I have to have the shavings collected on a dry leaf to be practical.

I like the shavings better, because it is easier for me to see the shavings. It is also easier for me to control the shavings destination.

Also I use a carbon steel scraper blade replacement.

I can't bring myself to use the P-38 provided or the good edge on my fine knife blade for camping or for kayaking.

Journal Entries

A few years ago a bought a Coghlan's magnesium stick to help Boy Scouts start fires using several different methods. Accomplishing that was a requirement for "Wilderness Survival" merit badge. With time and patience, we succeeded in starting fires using the magnesium stick.

For me, the problem with the stick is that it is much heavier than alternatives, such as keeping multiple small match boxes and lighters dry in separate zip locks. So the magnesium stick does not go into my pack.

Being waterproof appears to be the flint shaft/magnesium stick's unique virtue. Perhaps taking that type of fire starter along makes sense for wilderness outings in cold wet settings, such as Canadian canoe treks.

In the meantime, I carry an old film 35 MM film canister filled with emergency fire starters/alcohol lighters--cotton balls permeated with petroleum jelly. At home I improve those sticky cotton balls further by rolling them in dusty magnesium pieces scraped from the Coughlan's fire starter.

I've gotten the same results with th USGI Doan Mag block. Small shavings and if there's any wind they're gone. I've come prefer Light my fire firesteel and Petrol. jelly cottonballs. Much better results and they last 6 min. IMHO...

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

If you want to use magnesium and the ferrocerium rod (little flint rod on top), try this... Use a coarse file and grind the block over a few squares of duct tape. When you have enough made, fold each in half and store in plastic bags until ready to use.

I myself, use a good ferro rod (firesteel) and always keep tinder with me in a bag in one of my pockets. In case, for whatever reason, you lose your belongings (pack), you'll always be able to make fire. Keep practicing with whatever you plan to use afield. With plenty of practice, you'll be able to get a good spark into dry tinder with one or two strikes.

Have fun.

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

Forgot to add: For a ton of super easy tinder, collect dryer lint and keep it in a film canister or plastic bag. You won't even need the magnesium. A few strikes of the steel, and up goes the lint. I promise.

One thing to avoid: Try not to use a firesteel to light a stove. Keep a good old Bic just for that purpose. The sparks are very hot and leave burns on metal which will ultimately rust.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    If you want to use magnesium and the ferrocerium rod (little flint rod on top), try this... Use a coarse file and grind the block over a few squares of duct tape. When you have enough made, fold each in half and store in plastic bags until ready to use.
    Have fun.
    I agree, use a course file, keep the course shavings in a small baggie. Magnesium loves water. It will get you a fire going in the wettest conditions. Dryer lint will not.

Images

So, get a large rasp & file the magnesium into a zip lock, problem solved! DOH!

I really hate it when I miss the painfully obvious stuff like this.

I think what I will do is file one to nothing, & still carry the other.

An idea that occurs to me: Carry the cotton balls with Vaseline, when needed, dip the Vaseline coated balls into the Magnesium shavings. This would accomplish 3 things; the cotton balls would have a better chance of lighting, the Vaseline would hold the Mag in place better and give the Mag a bit of extra fuel to help catch the bigger stuff on fire.

I am going to get a light my fire or similar rod "thingy". Also, last night I needed to seal the ends of some 550 cord & no longer had a lighter that worked, so I'm going to carry a regular (wheel / flint striker) Bic for tasks like that.

Images

I think the mag fire starters are really cool and I am frequently tempted to buy one but I think that if your on the trail a small lighter is easier to use.

Panzer

For at least the last 15 years I've carried what was then called a "metal match". The military uses these (FS104 METAL SURVIVAL MATCH) and they are available for about $9, or maybe less if you shop around. Here is a short video of one in action.

Images

Doctari, I'm curious -- were you trying to shave off the edge of the block, or the corner. I find that "whittling" on the corner of the block gives me better shavings.

Of course, it could be the type of alloy that gave you dust instead of shavings.

BTW, keep the block zip-locked so that it doesn't come in contact with your SWEAT - I had a block "rust" (turn to white powder) once because of this.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tppreston View Post
    My experience was like Garlic's. Bought it, tested it, never used it again - most likely it's buried in a box of gear. One thing I do carry now is a trick birthday candle for windy days (idea compliments of Sgt Rock).
    Ditto and the sparks continue around the campfire for years....so its dust.... OK.

Did you ever think the Knife might be to blame?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thumbs down

Well, this thread inspired me to get out my magnesium fire starter block and give it the ol college try.

It SUCKED. I shaved and shaved with the biggest camping knife I've got, and sparked and sparked, and nothing. Nada.

Then I got out a rasp file per this thread and filed and filed. You can see the pile of "dust" in the photo below. Nada. You can see tiny black spots where the sparks charred the magnesium dust pile slightly. That was it.

Finally, I filed a while longer (far too long IMHO) and got the pile to flar up a bit (it never totally burned). However, it did fill my kitchen with black snowflakes, that settled over everything, which I had to clean off. I think it was soot flakes. Nasty stuff!

This Coghlan's fire starter block I got at REI (I thing that's right) is going back in some drawer or maybe even the trash.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

WOW! We didn't get a pile 1/10th* that size & after a few sparks It (the Magnesium) caught & stayed lit long enough to start the TP & slivers of wood to a nice small fire.

*Per my son: Mine wouldn't cover 1/2 a dime, had to take son's word for it that I even had any as in that light with my eyes, I couldn't see it.

UPDATE: I managed to get small slivers of Mag last night: after shaving the corner of the block with the hack saw blade, I noticed that left groves in the Mag, so I took my 2" knife & shaved one of the ridges down. I did not / was not trying to start a fire, just looking at the block of mag.
    In answer to Shelterbuilder's query: yes, I was shaving the corner. Son got similar results shaving the narrow edge of the block.

I am still going to carry this as a fire starter. In the past 10 times I have gone to start my Alcohol stove, I have had a lighter fail every time, sometimes 3 of the 4 I carry fail (2 "Old wheel strikers" 2 Pizeo electric. fire started with old wheel striker). I can't see the striker on this thing failing to at least strike a few sparks, & as mentioned in my first post, it started my stove first strike. I should add that in addition to no wind, the outside temp was low 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Well, this thread inspired me to get out my magnesium fire starter block and give it the ol college try.

It SUCKED. I shaved and shaved with the biggest camping knife I've got, and sparked and sparked, and nothing. Nada.

Then I got out a rasp file per this thread and filed and filed. You can see the pile of "dust" in the photo below. Nada. You can see tiny black spots where the sparks charred the magnesium dust pile slightly. That was it.

Finally, I filed a while longer (far too long IMHO) and got the pile to flar up a bit (it never totally burned). However, it did fill my kitchen with black snowflakes, that settled over everything, which I had to clean off. I think it was soot flakes. Nasty stuff!

This Coghlan's fire starter block I got at REI (I thing that's right) is going back in some drawer or maybe even the trash.

Rain Man

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++