WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Default Summer sleeping bag recommendation

I'm looking for a summer sleeping bag for next years thru hike. Something for the June - August months. I'm thinking it should be down filled, in about the 35 to 40 degree range, weigh not much more than 1 pound, and have full zip. Any recommendations?

I have a Feathered Friends Swallow with 2 oz. of overfill for the spring and fall. Will this work well for the entire trip?

I use a Thermarest Prolite pad in the colder months. For summer I'll probably switch to the NeoAir.

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'm looking for a summer sleeping bag for next years thru hike. Something for the June - August months. I'm thinking it should be down filled, in about the 35 to 40 degree range, weigh not much more than 1 pound, and have full zip. Any recommendations?

I have a Feathered Friends Swallow with 2 oz. of overfill for the spring and fall. Will this work well for the entire trip?
    I have the same bag and use it for all three-seasons in Colorado. In the height of summer however, I do switch it out for a cooler summer bag-- MH Phantom +32 which weighs in at 1lb 7oz. There is a +45 degree version which weighs 17oz, which unfortunately is not enough in the Rockies during the summer.

You could also consider a quilt for the summer: Golite Ultralite (+40/20oz). I believe that Nunatak offers the lightest quilts on the market: Arc Edge (+40/11oz) and the Arc AT (+40/8oz). You probably won't find anything lighter than that.

Not exactly the info you are looking for, but in the summertime on the AT you can get a small fleece blanket and carry less weight (although not as compressable). Usually it was warmer than what I needed. A couple times June-August it was not warm enough, in which case I would sleep in more clothes, no problem. Also don't do this if you ever plan to sleep under the stars or keep your rain fly off since a tent with fly does a lot for trapping your own body heat. As you get going on your thru you will probably shift gear around more than just once from "winter mode" to "summer mode" so consider this. Nothing worse than going from freezing to sweating all night long due to a 30-40 degree bag on a 65-70 degree night.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I hadn't thought about a quilt, something to consider. I considered a Western Mountaineer HighLite but it only has a half zipper which I think is essential for venting on warm nights.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Meant to say a full zip is essential for venting on warm nights!

Images

Your feathered friends bag will certainly work for summer. It may be a bit overkill but it will certainly keep you warm, maybe too warm. I like my Lafuma X600 for summer. Its about as big as a nalgene and just over a pound. Keeps me warm down to about 40* (warm sleeper).
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Question Poncho Liners

Anyone use a poncho liner while crossing MD/PA/NJ?
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Hike smarter, not harder.

Tought to beat FF. And I thought the Hilite had a full zipper.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Go with what you have. If and when you decide that there needs to be a change made you can pick up a light summer bag at an outfitter along the trail. Updated and new gear goes on the market all the time and by the time you're in the market for a new bag there might be something that is better than what's available now.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

Yes, I would go with this for the entire trip.

In the summer when it gets hot at night you can open it up like a blanket and just lay it across your legs.

Panzer

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default WM Highlite

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    ...I thought the Hilite had a full zipper.
    Half zip standard, I believe.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com...s&ContentId=16
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might also consider a quilt, which will be even lighter and without the need for a full-length zipper.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

If price is a consideration, just got an ad today that campmor has Kelty bags on sale. One of them was a 40* down Light Year model, 650 down, just over a pound and under $100.

geek

-

marmot atom

"I considered a Western Mountaineer HighLite but it only has a half zipper which I think is essential for venting on warm nights."
    Yes, that is why now I use a quilt instead (JRB No Sniveller) or the Ultralite when colder.
    I bought my HighLite before the Summerlite came out. I would have got that instead if it had been available. Have a look.
    Franco

I have one of these: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...rol%20Crooker/ It's good down to around 45F without additional clothing (for me). I sleep warm. I also use it in the winter with my 40F Golite Feather-lite around my hammock to take me down to around 5F in an enclosed tarp shelter.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Anybody use the Mont Bell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #5?
    1 lb., full zip, might be just what I'm looking for.

++ New Posts ++