WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Default Newsflash! 19 year old girl thinks guy in the woods is a psychopath!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Yeah. Not the same thing.
    Except it's exactly the same thing. Lone Wolf suspects somebody's up to something DASTERDLY!!!! Therefore he NEEDS TO INFORM THE AUTHORITIES AT ALL COST FOR THE SAKE OF AMERICAN FREEDUM! JUST LIKE YOU! WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Just because someone isn't waving an ax or gun in your faces does not mean that they are harmless.
    Just because somebody isn't wearing a Patagonia Shirt and perfume and doesn't want to answer your interrogation doesn't mean he's a menace to society. Seems like you're the one stirring up the trouble.

Wasn't there another thread about this type of incident where some teenage girls were spooked by a guy on the trail?

Yup: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55515

De Ja Vu. MYOB people and if all yous got is the wrong feelin about a guy/girl or situation, keep your distance. Don't take it upon yourself to inject your just-hand into someone's space. I'd be pissed as hell at Mary Jane R.C. if she thought her civic duty was to call the cops on me because I didn't "answer her correctly."
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Manwich gets it

Quote Originally Posted by tppreston View Post
    Lone Wolf does like to "stir things up". Perhaps he gets a commission on replys to his posts.
    sure. whatever you say

Images

I would've just moved on. I usually hike with a small pistol for some security.

If someone gives you the impression that they aren't behaving in a normal way, then move on. In town we can cross the street or drive away from the area, at home, we lock the doors, but on the trail, we are alone in sharing space with someone we think is dangerous or could be. Its only common sense to move on, even if you've had a long day of hiking.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

ShLep did the right thing in following her gut and leaving. ShLep did the right thing in contacting authorities.

She didn't arrest anyone. She didn't detain anyone. All she did was contact authorities. If the authorities follow up or blow it off that is their call.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

i didnt notice but is anyone who saw the character in question a psychologist or psychiatrist? otherwise i think it is a tad bit absurd for you to classify him as pschycopathic or whatever word you used because your not qualified to make that judgement, you have no idea whether or not that person is mentally ill. If you feel uncomfortable around a person that leave but for to call the cops and then alert everyone in the hiking communitty because you had some hunch is irresponsible. you will meet plenty of strange people on the trail, if you dont feel comfortable then move on and mind your own business and let them do the same. the last thing we need are "trail monitors" going around classifying whether or not people are mentally capable of being on the trail or not. Its is 2,175 miles long my guess would be that there is more than enough room on the trail.
    a happy boddhitsva

think0075 gets it

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    ShLep did the right thing in contacting authorities.
    in your opinion

Images

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    A prodding cop would only send the person deeper into their problems. Sure if you just want to remove the offending object from your sight a cop will work, but if you actually want to help them you need someone that can show compassion and not just judge them.

Like I said before, call the church. If the parson thinks a gun and handcuffs are necessary let them decide.
    To be honest, I wasn't concerned about his safety at all, just mine and the safety of my friends. (Selfish? Yeah)

Quote Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
    Just because somebody isn't wearing a Patagonia Shirt and perfume and doesn't want to answer your interrogation doesn't mean he's a menace to society. Seems like you're the one stirring up the trouble..
    You weren't there man.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

SO anyway, I really don't care who thinks I didn't do the right thing, the whole purpose of this post was to just let people who'll be in the area know that there's someone out there who made me (and two grown men) very uncomfortable, not to spark conversation.

The guy felt dangerous, I left. It is your call what you do.

(My friends couldn't help thinking of Randall Lee Smith.) He did a lot of things I didn't mention, long and short, I feel justified. My safety comes first, I don't care if this guy'll be pissed about me mentioning his name to the cops.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

another thru hiker thinking only bout themselves exactly what we need. you must be the one taking all the goodies left by trail angels before the rest of us get there.
    a happy boddhitsva

I don't care if this guy'll be pissed about me mentioning his name to the cops.[/QUOTE]
    until he catches up to you
    a happy boddhitsva

Warning provided, authorities notified. Any other relevant information send it to me and or a mod and it will get posted.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++