WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Class of 2013

Want a "13 thru walk......Ill be 64 then....need to train for 14 months. Need to loose 100#. How about training tips. I did a lot of backpacking 30 yrs ago...still have my REI bag. Hope to meet some of this class on the trail.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 12-31-2011 at 10:57.

Default NOBO 2013 Class!

Hello Folks,

My name is Mark.
    I am planning for my first thru-hike tentative departure date of March 15th, 2013.

Maybe we can center our contact information together. I am willing to help in that.

My email:
    [email protected]

Facebook ID:
    www.Facebook.com/OriginalThatGuy

Please send me what contact information you'd like, and I'll compile it and pass to others for the class of 2013.

Thanks and Hike On!
    ~ Mark

Maybe we could *BUMP* this thread to an above "Sub-forum"? 2013 is just over a year away.

Images

I finally got my wife to warm up to the idea of me being gone for 6 months. I guess that gets easier the longer you have been married! I hope to get started at Springer in March of 2013. We will see. Meanwhile I am all over the trails here in southwestern Va. See you out there!
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

My BLOG Site

Hey everyone. I'm Stephen from Memphis, TN. I'll be 27 when I start in late February/early march and will turn 28 on the trail. I've wanted to do this for years.

Starting now compiling all my gear. Quick question...what's the shoe/boot of choice for the '13 crowd? That seems to be the hardest decision at this point.

I'll be going solo, but would like to try and get in with a group, but don't mind getting left behind.

Wanted to do it this year but just don't have the funds. I really hate that money is preventing me from doing this otherwise, I'd be heading out in a couple of months. My side dream of music has picked up quite a bit so that plays a factor too but I plan on socking away $ each paycheck to go towards a 2013 hike that way the only thing that could possibly stop me next year is music. Have all the gear I need and fit enough to give it a go. Still need to do some training for hiking hours on end to get used to the monotony. So if there are any Austinites willing to look like schmucks hiking the Green Belt or Mt. Bonnell with full packs, shoot me a message.

My wife and I are currently planning to leave Springer on March, 17 2013!!!! We just bought our packs and are working on the rest of our gear now... We started Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Univ. last year but then took our honeymoon and dropped out... It is a great class though and I highly recomend it!!! We will be doing some prep hikes in NC when time allows... Can't wait to meet-up with you guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by motleybrews View Post
    Starting now compiling all my gear. Quick question...what's the shoe/boot of choice for the '13 crowd? That seems to be the hardest decision at this point.
    You've got plenty of time between now and then to try out different shoes and boots and decide what best suits you. I use trail running shoes, for what it's worth.

Journal Entries

I'll be 61 and am planning on starting in April if all goes well. Training tip #1: I joined a spinning class which seemed to help during my section hikes. I spent less time getting my trail legs on my sections, and I think the workouts from spinning helped me build the strength needed.

Planning for 2013 teknologyguru's Avatar

Greetings all, another 2013er here!

I've wanted to hike the AT for a little over a year now, and I figure I should do it sooner rather than later, while I'm still young enough to not be tied down by anything. I also want to use the hike as a sort of break between my current job and move somewhere else after I'm done with it. Five or six months on the trail should be good for a mental reboot, no?
    At any rate, I'm in the planning and saving up stages now, hoping to use the rest of this year to determine what gear I need, and get it all together, as well as do some preparations to make sure I'll actually be able to last for the whole 2000 miles.

looks like there may be a ton of us starting mid march . . . no trail names yet, we'll pick them up on the way.

We hope to start march 15th or so 2013. We are a very well prepared family . . . .that means kids. We have been preparing - walked 192 miles across England this summer. We're hiking Pennsylvania this summer. We expect most of you will pass us, and then possibly again when we jump over PA. We expect we'll end at the last possible moment in Maine - Oct 10?

www.30millionsteps.wordpress.com

I am planning 7 months. I want time to enjoy a wide variety of aspects. And Oneofsix, you may pass me, but that won't matter to me as long as I am enjoying my journey! March 12th is my tentative start date.

My girlfriend and I are planning our thru hike, leaving Springer March 20 (First Day of Spring) 2013. We've done a lot of AT section hiking and we're excited to - hopefully - hike the whole thing!

Here's a link to my gear list, if anybody is interested: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=5694

Quote Originally Posted by Toy2boy View Post
    you may pass me
    we may end up leap frogging . . . that happened on our coast to coast trip, the same people would pass us each day, then we'd end up in the same place at night, the next morning we were up and out early, then they would pass us mid day . . . then we'd get in and see them again. If not, you'll be a few days ahead of us, the whole way up we're taking 7 months too

Quote Originally Posted by john4 View Post
    Want a "13 thru walk......Ill be 64 then....need to train for 14 months. Need to loose 100#. How about training tips. I did a lot of backpacking 30 yrs ago...still have my REI bag. Hope to meet some of this class on the trail.
    walk everyday (even if it is only a mile) . . do a long hike once a week (start with 2 miles, add a mile (or two) every week until you are up to 12) . . . in two months add a pack (first month 10 pounds, second month 20, third 30, fourth 40) . . . .in 4 months add hills . . . .get yourself up to 12 miles with a 40 pound pack and at least 2000 feet in elevation gain.

Oneofsix, if you haven't already - please email me if you'd like so we can keep track of each other. I am comprising a list, and resources to distribute.

Hi Everyone. I am 25 and from GA and will be 26 on the trail. I will be starting from the approach trail on March 1st -3rd, 2013 after completing my masters. So anyone starting earlier hope to see you on the trail and keep in touch. No trail name yet. but that will come along. Grab a pack and plan alittle, but in all seriousness Lets go!

email: [email protected]

Images

I am hoping to leave Springer mid-March as well! I started a thru-hike in 2009 but had to leave after I fractured my foot. It took me almost a year before I could hike any lengh of time on it. I have been section hiking since, but my heart calls for a thru-hike. If I can swing it at work, 2013 is my year!!!!
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

I plan on heading out sometime Mid March. I will be retiring from the USN after 30 years of serving my country riding submarines. I will be doing the trail while on terminal leave.....hence my trail name Boondoggle. Want to finish in mid June. Have done extensive hiking and mountaineering in the cascades. See you all on the trail.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++