WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice: Monson-north this may?

Hello all, was looking for some advice on doing the 100 mile wilderness portion of the trail in mid to late may. Is this possible given the relatively dry winter and spring conditions here in maine this year?

I just sectioned New York into Connecticut and there were a few blackflies out already. I think it's going to be a buggy spring and summer, especially north of the Hudson River. May might be a good time to get carried off by the flies in Maine...

Provided there are no late season snow storms this year is shaping up to be good for early hiking in upper Maine. . . should be very enjoyable and you should just about have the trail to yourself. . . enjoy!

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello, Invictus. And Welcome. Things are dry around here. And I agree with the others. But, dry or not, the Black flies will be out, and happy to see you. Bring a head net and bug spray. Unless we get alot more rain, I say go for it..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Hello people and thank you for the responses. This is an incredible site. loads of information! I am really looking forward to some trail time and some solitude. I am a full-time student at 37 and this school year has been a long one. really need a break. I am mainly concerned with water levels at this time of year. having not hiked this portion of the trail I am kind of ignorant to many of the obsticals of the major crossings and low lands. Yes, I will have lots of bug spray and a head net. I am all too aware of those nasty black buggers. I really look forward to getting to know some of you here and wish and pray that all of us have a safe, memorable hiking season!

Invictus,

Welcome to whiteblaze! I'm "new" to the site too, and I also think it is great. Good folks...

Hope you have a wonderful hike up North. If weather holds up it should get fairly dry up that way. You may have obstacles such as blow-downs still in the way, but that is half the fun. What you DO have to be careful about is the notorious Warraghiyagey! If he happens to be out, he is as much concern as the Maine Black Fly. If you should sight him, report immediately to Whiteblaze... (DON'T go to the "authorities", as they will think you're nuts!).
    Good luck, God Bless!

Stickman

http://www.scripturesticks.com/

Actually, I will be headed up to Monson this weekend for a couple weeks, hope to get a little hiking in . . .

Hahahaha I will report and such sightings!!!

++ New Posts ++