WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rocks in NJ (I can hardly wait for PA)

I'm almost done with the great state of New Jersey. Last Mon. and Tue. Sasquatch and I hiked from the DWG to Culver gap. I wore my typical Asics trail runners and carried around 23 lbs. incl. water. I'm now nursing a bruise on the ball of my left foot. Of course, being a section hiker, I haven't toughened my feet too much so far this year having only put in around 60 miles of hiking before the NJ section.
    So, for all you 200 lb. plus trail runner wearin' fast hikers - beware the rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
    Hike on!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Ha!
    I wore a pair of Asics runners NOBO out of Harpers Ferry and did something like 106 miles in six days up past Boiling Springs. At Duncannon, I switched back to my heavier Dunham Nimbles for the rock 'n roll and had no problems going slow in the rocks. It was, however, a pleasure to wave buh-bye to Pennsylvania while crossing the bridge over the Delaware into Jersey. They've got some nice rugged trail in Jersey...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    .....the NJ section.
    So, for all you 200 lb. plus trail runner wearin' fast hikers - beware the rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, ....
    Not to nitpick, but...

Southern 'Jersey is known for flat landscapes, good canoeing/kayaking, outstanding birdwatching on Cape May, and being a suburb of Philadelphia. Also the Pine Barrens, cranberry production, and tomatoes.

Granted the state is small but directionwise, the AT passes nowhere near "southern" 'Jersey. After all, Springer isn't in "Southern" Georgia even though it's certainly south of Dick's Creek Gap.

Images

Good point, although I'm pretty sure they meant the southern section of the AT, which I think is more accurately the western section. Whatever, the section that borders PA.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Not to nitpick, but...
    "...but I'm going to nitpick anyway."

I did 100mi or so of PA Rocks in October > December and I hear ya on the section hiker feet not being tough. Superglue on the bottom of my feet did wonders for blisters but nothing 'sides superfeet will sooth the rockpain
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

rocks of southern NJ. (Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
    Hike on!
    YOU NEVER SAW SOUTHERN JERSEY, get a map LMAO
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    YOU NEVER SAW SOUTHERN JERSEY, get a map LMAO
    i just noticed this was already brought to your attention. we do have Applepie Hill 209' LOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Manwich View Post
    I'm going to nitpick anyway.
    To my way of thinking, Bill siezed an opportunity to provide information some may not have known and did so in a respectful manner.

i just noticed this was already brought to your attention. we do have Applepie Hill 209' LOL
    Karl, you were the first WBer I thought of when I did my post. Thanks for weighing in. Sorry I didn't know about Applepie Hill!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    To my way of thinking, Bill siezed an opportunity to provide information some may not have known and did so in a respectful manner.
    And why should I expect less than this type of responce from you? I do believe that this is a website about the AT so all things should be taken with this into account. In this case southern NJ would be the southern portion of the AT in the state of NJ.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

To the rest of the world, the term means something different. If you refered to South Jersey while on the portion of the A.T. mentioned, the natives would look at you like you are from away and correct you.

Why don't you put me on ignore too. What I post won't bother you, and when I reply to your posts, you won't respond either.

Context context context. Everyone knew what the poster meant by "southern nj". Some just took it as an opportunity to show how much they know. Yay for them!

As for those rocks in NJ, they suck. At least in PA you can see 'em. In NJ, they are camoflauged by grass. Much tougher on the ankles, imo.
    Yahtzee

Images

Karl, you were the first WBer I thought of when I did my post. Thanks for weighing in. Sorry I didn't know about Applepie Hill!
    you know your from SJ when You packed up the family on a Sunday and went to Cowtown Rodeo.

we have to stand up for South Jersey, even Trenton doesn't recognize us. LOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    And why should I expect less than this type of responce from you? I do believe that this is a website about the AT so all things should be taken with this into account. In this case southern NJ would be the southern portion of the AT in the state of NJ.
    Not to someone from Jersey who would wonder HTF you got into Southern Jersey while on the trail. As soon as I read Southern Jersey, I thought - "What are you talkin' about?? There ain't a rock in the Pine Barrens" then it dawned on me that you meant Southern half of the trail in Northern NJ.
    Big difference for those that live here .
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

NJ Rocks!!!!

(Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
    Hike on!
    Well, watch out for rattlesnakes on those rocky stretches in PA if it is rattlesnake season. After a while, I lost count of them. Look where you're stepping!

you know your from SJ when You packed up the family on a Sunday and went to Cowtown Rodeo.

we have to stand up for South Jersey, even Trenton doesn't recognize us. LOL
    This one just made me laugh! I grew up in Paulsboro. The worst possible thing you could say to another kid when I was growing up was, "Your mother buys your underwear at Cowtown!"

Now I'm wishing for some Richman's ice cream! I'd even take an ice cream sandwich wrapped in silver with the little red cow on it... bought at Heritage's, of course!

Not to nitpick, but...

Southern 'Jersey is known for flat landscapes, good canoeing/kayaking, outstanding birdwatching on Cape May, and being a suburb of Philadelphia. Also the Pine Barrens, cranberry production, and tomatoes.

Granted the state is small but directionwise, the AT passes nowhere near "southern" 'Jersey. After all, Springer isn't in "Southern" Georgia even though it's certainly south of Dick's Creek Gap.
    Thanks Cookerhiker! I read the post and I thought...South Jersey? A flat sandy plain of Pinelands covered in pitch pine? Cranberry bogs and streams...totally different ecosystem and environment.

Any Jersey people who have not read "The Pine Barrens" by John McPhee should pick it up! Great book!

Images

(Strangely, I saw neither bears nor snakes, which southern 'Jersey is famous for, though I heard something big in the bushes near the Brink Rd. shelter).
    Hike on!
    As a resident of Southern NJ- I can equivocally state we dont have any bears.

I did however see some on Bird Mountain on my hike thru Stokes SF...
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    some Richman's ice cream!
    they closed down but we still got Hudock's in Salem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++